Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a bit of help with prices if you don't mind

a bit of help with prices if you don't mind

Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:17 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Question a bit of help with prices if you don't mind

Evening all.

Sad I know but as you now I have bought a backpackers and being the tidy freak I am I can't cope with the current mishmash of duvet covers in there at the moment. So I am goin to buy a load of duvet/doona cover sets so everything looks nice and matches.
Anyway down ASDA I can get single duvet sets for £4.50, I thought they'd be crap but I have bought a couple and done a load of test washes on them and they seem to be suprisingly good quality. I am going to check the cost of posting them over but from previous experiance of posting stuff I think it will cost about £150

so for 70 duvet sets from the UK it is going to cost me £465 ($1162.50) including postage.

I have looked in the net and doona covers seem to be expensive over in Australia, the cheapest I can find are $35 (and I dont know how good/bad the quality is)
total price in Australia $2450

So those of you who are over there, have I got all my facts correct and am I right in thinking that I am better off buying here?
Cheers
Kala
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default Re: a bit of help with prices if you don't mind

hi kala, you know you are addicted to a website when you find yourself thinking about someone you've never even met before! hope you are okay mate, you were on my mind, what with the packing of your gear and all that goes with it!

anyway, might not be of any help, but is there not an ikea where you are heading? they are usually dirt cheap and okay for the money!

bob
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Kala

Are you shipping your stuff over, if so could you not wait and just add all the bedding to your container? It would take longer to get there but it might be easier and cheaper.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

kala, $35 seems a fair bit for a single bed quilt cover. I would say you could probably get them for a bit cheaper.

Try Pillowtalk , single bed sets from $15 & very good quality.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

kala, just thought, if you seriously want to see what they are like, I will buy you one & bring it over with us on Monday & depending on where you are I can get it to you.

Personal service, gotta be better than Royal Mail
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
kala, just thought, if you seriously want to see what they are like, I will buy you one & bring it over with us on Monday & depending on where you are I can get it to you.

It's not a bloody magic carpet type thing is it ?
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:00 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Thanks a million but it looks like they are only in QLD so will prob be quite a bit of hastle getting them sent to Geraldton. That is really really kind of you though. Thanks How long are you back in the UK for?

Moneypen20, great idea but stupid here's stuff all left yesterday and I didn't think of this until I was having a browse in ASDA today.

Honeybob, I am very well thanks, all the shipping has gone and I am a lot happier, I think a lot of it was down to the stress of getting things ready for the packers but now that is done and we have moved into my dads I am a lot more relaxed (so relaxed that all I have to worry about is bloody duvet covers) and really excited again. there is an Ikea in perth but that is where I found the cheapest ones on the net at $35, It is also a 5 hr drive from where I am going. Thanks for thinking of me and I hope everything is goin very well at your end
Kala
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kala
Moneypen20, great idea but stupid here's stuff all left yesterday and I didn't think of this until I was having a browse in ASDA today.
OK so who else on here has shipping going soon to Perth that Kala can "borrow" a couple of cubic feet from?
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

good to hear that you feel more relaxed, hope you find your gear!

bob...
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:08 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Thanks Bob.

Moneypen20, loving your style
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob.

Moneypen20, loving your style
Crikey! Quilts in an Aussie backpackers! Things have changed since I was there....in the mid 90s you were stuffed if you didn't have a sleeping bag in a lot of them.

Anyhoo, it's an excuse to drop by in Geraldton. Being the only sizeable town in that part of Aus, and right on a coastal route I'm dying to explore, you can't be that difficult to find. Any ideas for a name for your new venture?

Tony.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Bix, I hope not, cant imagine the hair after having to sit on the wing for 26 hrs :scared:

it looks like they are only in QLD so will prob be quite a bit of hastle getting them sent to Geraldton.

And this, from a woman whos prepared to post them half way around the world!

We're over for 5 weeks .

BTW, I wouldnt think that Ikea would be cheap!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:18 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Crikey! Quilts in an Aussie backpackers! Things have changed since I was there....in the mid 90s you were stuffed if you didn't have a sleeping bag in a lot of them.

Anyhoo, it's an excuse to drop by in Geraldton. Being the only sizeable town in that part of Aus, and right on a coastal route I'm dying to explore, you can't be that difficult to find. Any ideas for a name for your new venture?

Tony.
That cos it's the best backpackers in the world, with the best owners in the world (well it will be when I get my hands on it)

We're easy to find, right on the main shopping street dead opposite the bottle shop with the garden leading on to the beach.
The place is already up and running and we are keeping the name Foreshore backpackers when we take over on the 1st Nov you can see it on the YHA web site (below) and photo's of the front of it in the photo post section.

Pop in anytime, YHA prices for any BXP members.

Kala
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:21 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Bix, I hope not, cant imagine the hair after having to sit on the wing for 26 hrs :scared:

And this, from a woman whos prepared to post them half way around the world!

We're over for 5 weeks .

BTW, I wouldnt think that Ikea would be cheap!
Yeah I was just thinking that, I'm not right in the head am I.

Looked at that web site, there are some I really like but they are $19 each so it still works out more than buying here and shipping.

Have a great trip back here. I should be heading over just as you are heading back over yourselves.

Kala
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE BTW, I wouldnt think that Ikea would be cheap![/QUOTE]

from personal experience, have always found ikea to be quite good for stuff like bedding for the kids, knowing full well that at some point they are going to vomit on it!

sorry tho', don't know if the prices are different over in your neck of the woods... and considering it's a business can see your point entirely...

but will probably have some free space in our containment, or can get mad auntie to knit you some!!!!! or some of them glorious toilet roll dolls!

bob..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.