Bit of advice

Old Jan 4th 2019, 4:00 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 64
J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bit of advice

I was intending to go to Perth in June on a WHV which I have already obtained, however, I was planning to apply for my 190 visa before I leave or when I am over there. But after looking at the Western Australia state sponsorship website, my job title "Engineering Technologist" is not on the general stream occupation list but is on the graduate occupation list. I am not eligible for the graduate stream, due to the fact you need to have 2 years study in Australia.

I am now looking at going to Sydney, but again Engineering Technologist is not on the occupation list but everything else relating to Civil Engineering is, therefore, my question is - if my skills assessment was assessed as an Engineering Technologist, does that mean I can only nominate that occupation, or, could I nominate Civil Engineer?

So annoying, thought I had everything set out until I looked at the Western Australia nomination requirements.
J___Mcewan is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 3:29 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,049
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of advice

But you are coming over on a WHV. I believe it is not as easy as days passed to change to a preferred visa, besides WA tightened up considerably the vocation areas one could migrate here on. This does look to be opening up, in an effort to attract more foreign students (carrot) and probably migrants as well, who have dropped off in considerable numbers from a few years ago.
Never say never. When on the ground here an employer may be interested enough? It is far removed from the hearty times of 2015 but some employment opportunities are still to be had.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 9:41 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 64
J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bit of advice

Yes I am coming over on a WHV but will be eligble for my 190 visa at the time of moving. How often are the occupation lists reviewed and refreshed, do you know? Engineering technologist doesn't seem to be sought after by any state apart from victoria, but you need 5 years experience. The occupation is on the mltssl list on the home affairs website, seems pointless the home affairs website stating that the occupation is available through the 190 route when no state is actually after that occupation, pretty frustrating. Will i be able to nominate civil engineer, as opposed to engineering technologist?
J___Mcewan is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 10:00 am
  #4  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,010
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of advice

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan View Post
Yes I am coming over on a WHV but will be eligble for my 190 visa at the time of moving. How often are the occupation lists reviewed and refreshed, do you know? Engineering technologist doesn't seem to be sought after by any state apart from victoria, but you need 5 years experience. The occupation is on the mltssl list on the home affairs website, seems pointless the home affairs website stating that the occupation is available through the 190 route when no state is actually after that occupation, pretty frustrating. Will i be able to nominate civil engineer, as opposed to engineering technologist?
If you can get a valid skills assessment as a civil engineer you can nominate that occupation instead.

Since your occupation is on MLTSSL, can't you go for 189 visa?
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 11:04 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 64
J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bit of advice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
If you can get a valid skills assessment as a civil engineer you can nominate that occupation instead.

Since your occupation is on MLTSSL, can't you go for 189 visa?
I will need a masters to be assessed as a civil engineer, so that's out the window.

Also, I dont have enough points for the 189 unfortunately, even with the additional 5 for state nomination, I am only at the minimum of 65. Looks like I will just need to hope that my occupation is put on the lists the next time they are updated.
J___Mcewan is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 11:18 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,010
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of advice

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan View Post
I will need a masters to be assessed as a civil engineer, so that's out the window.

Also, I dont have enough points for the 189 unfortunately, even with the additional 5 for state nomination, I am only at the minimum of 65. Looks like I will just need to hope that my occupation is put on the lists the next time they are updated.
Occupation is on VIC and ACt lists I think. Other states may open if you can find employment during your WHV time too.

Do you have any family in Australia which might help. Also, have you maxed out points for English?
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 11:50 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 64
J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bit of advice

Yeah victoria has it, but require 5 years minimum experience, I will only have 3 at my time of leaving. ACT is somewhere that hasn't really appealed to me before but to be honest I havent really looked into the place as much as the others, so could be a good shout!

I have only managed to get 10 points from the ielts, sat it twice and the pte. Its just a proper pain in the arse!
J___Mcewan is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 11:53 am
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,010
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of advice

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan View Post
Yeah victoria has it, but require 5 years minimum experience, I will only have 3 at my time of leaving. ACT is somewhere that hasn't really appealed to me before but to be honest I havent really looked into the place as much as the others, so could be a good shout!

I have only managed to get 10 points from the ielts, sat it twice and the pte. Its just a proper pain in the arse!
If you can improve your English it would maybe open up the 189 for you. For points you can sit either the general or academic IELTS as well as the other exams. What areas of the exam do you fall down on?
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 11:59 am
  #9  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 10,643
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of advice

Top class guidance from Old Sparkles, as usual
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2019, 12:39 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 64
J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bit of advice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
If you can improve your English it would maybe open up the 189 for you. For points you can sit either the general or academic IELTS as well as the other exams. What areas of the exam do you fall down on?
First time around only section i didn't get 8 or above was the listening part, I scored 7 for that. Second time around it was even worst, some areas i never even scored 7. Then the pte was just a complete disaster
J___Mcewan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.