Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Birmingham to NZ 2003

Birmingham to NZ 2003

Old Dec 1st 2002, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birmingham to NZ 2003

Well that's decided it. We had intended to move to NZ next year, but now my wife has informed me that she is pregnant, we are definately going. There is no way that we intend to raise a family in the UK.

So here is our dilemma - where?

Unlike a previous posting, we have been to NZ, surely you must be mad to move your whole family to a country you haven't even visited!
We toured from Auckland down to Christchurch taking in the east coast of the North and east/west of the South Island. We have friends in Auckland, and I must say it did seem like a great city, but apart from the weather would it be any different to Birmingham to live in? They are both similar in size and my wife does favour Auckland, until I told her what kind of house we could afford in Christchurch, a city that I really liked. Hell, we liked it all esp Nelson, but that's probably too small and too expensive for us. So it will probably come down to where is the best chance of finding a job. I'm a Senior Art Director/Graphic Designer working in the advertising industry, which probably means that we're looking at Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch. I'd love to hear from anyone in the same industry who can help with contacts/info etc. I'm putting my portfolio on to CD so I can post it out to contacts in NZ, but must say I find it hard to believe that people offer you a job when you're so far away, then if you don't try...
Old Dec 5th 2002, 5:25 pm
fromUK2NZ

Talking

WOW looks like your life is going to change big time over the next few months...congrats

We emigrated from London to Christchurch in Sept 2000, we hadn't visited the place before but new we just needed to get our kids out of the pit (think you know what I mean)

Anyway just wanted to say what a great life we have here in Chch, the oppotunities for the kids are amazing. here is always something happening here, concert in the parks, kidss holiday programs, festival of flowers....the list is endlist really www.bethere.org.nz will give you whats happening. Oh and not as wet as Auckland :0)

Job wise, think you would need to go to one of the bigger cities for work really www.nzjobs.co.nz my husband is in IT. Houses guess you looked at www.realenz.co.nz

anyway back to you about Chch, I like it here because it's big enough that not everyone knows yu but small enough to have a sense of community. I like that fact that you can see the mountains and the port hills. I just find it a beautiful and happy place to live. There are no regrets (apart from maybe been able to do it sooner)

anyway write back, if I can help further, take care and best of luck