Reload this Page >

Birmingham to Brisbane

Birmingham to Brisbane

Old Sep 30th 2014, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

jobolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birmingham to Brisbane

Hi,

New to the site. My husband is a CAD Manager for a house building company in England. We are looking at moving over to Brisbane next year, but I'm baffled as which is area is best to live. We have three young children, so need to think about decent schools, but I would like a family orientated area that isn't too built up and is close to parks, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jo
Old Sep 30th 2014, 8:32 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birmingham to Brisbane

Originally Posted by jobolt
Hi,

New to the site. My husband is a CAD Manager for a house building company in England. We are looking at moving over to Brisbane next year, but I'm baffled as which is area is best to live. We have three young children, so need to think about decent schools, but I would like a family orientated area that isn't too built up and is close to parks, etc.

Thanks,

Jo
Hi Jo and welcome

What visa are you planning on applying for?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thank you
I don't know what visa it is. We had the opportunity to move to Perth last year after my husband was head hunted and the company would have been paying for family visas, so we'd be doing the same again. Perth wasn't right for us so want to do the same process but for Brisbane.
Jo
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

First, be aware the economy has changed a lot since last year.

Second be aware that company sponsored visas are usually temporary and come with a lot of negatives. For example, if your husband were to lose his job, he would only have 90 days to find another willing and able to sponsor - not companies can - or you all have to leave the country.

You might be better investigating options for permanent visas.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:48 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Define 'not too built up' - it probably means something different over here to what it means in Birmingham! Average residential block sizes are in the 600m2 to 800m2 range, with some as low as 400m2 and some (usually in the $3M price range!) are over 1100m2. Houses are typically single storey, although a lot of new builds (particularly on blocks close to the city) are going 2 storey. The traditional Queenslander type of house is of timber construction raised on stilts to allow air circulation all around and through the house - there are still lots of these around but the ones on large blocks are often demolished to allow the block to be sub-divided.

Schools - good, not-so-good and bad can be found anywhere.

Parks - within 10km-12km of the CBD most places will have a small to medium sized park within walking distance. Not sure about the newer developments further out.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jobolt
Hi,

Thanks,

Jo
The other thing to consider is where your husband will be located, what sort of commute time he wants to endure, will he drive or take public transport.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
... The traditional Queenslander type of house is of timber construction raised on stilts to allow air circulation all around and through the house - there are still lots of these around but the ones on large blocks are often demolished to allow the block to be sub-divided.
As an aside, this is not allowed usually is it...pre war queenslander homes are usually protected ? ... though some do slip through. I notice more often they build behind them, build in the backyard of a corner block or move them over to make room for another beside. There are still lots on large blocks where I live (Ashgrove) but they are expensive.

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 2nd 2014 at 9:58 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your feedback.
I don't know what size our house is in order to compare, but it's not big. It's a semi-detached, three bed two storey house with small rooms. By built up, I just mean houses that are built too close together.
My husband is used to travelling 45 mins to work, so however far east that would take us.
The house we're in would equate to about $430,000 if that helps.
Thanks,
Jo
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

The median house price for Brisbane is $440,000 which includes all the Brisbane suburbs. This includes townhouses and apartments and your chances of getting a good freestanding house at this price is virtually zero.
Townhouses or semi detached houses would be an option within an hours commute (by car). Have a look at Realestate.com.au for prices.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
The median house price for Brisbane is $440,000 which includes all the Brisbane suburbs. This includes townhouses and apartments and your chances of getting a good freestanding house at this price is virtually zero.
Townhouses or semi detached houses would be an option within an hours commute (by car). Have a look at Realestate.com.au for prices.
I guess it depends on your version of "good" freestanding house but there are quite a few solid houses close to that price...some would need updating or not be perfect in other ways.

This type for example: 14 Mullacor Street Ferny Grove Qld 4055 - House for Sale #117383751 - realestate.com.au

This is only 35mins from Brisbane by train. Would be far more choice one hour away.

Springfield (30-40 mins by train):

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...akes-118083743

Here's a smaller more UK sized house for $335: http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...akes-115759427

Unattractive front, modern inside, big back yard $399: http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...akes-117592287

5 bedroom, deck and pool, make an offer $485: http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...akes-117622923

Redcliffe:

"FRESH AND FUNKY - HIGH ON THE HILL", walk to bayside beach $449: http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...iffe-118083375

Outdoor bar, polished floors, deck, spa, pool etc, few streets from beach, make an offer $499: http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...iffe-118030879

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 4th 2014 at 7:39 am.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I guess it depends on your version of "good" freestanding house but there are quite a few solid houses close to that price...some would need updating or not be perfect in other ways.

This type for example: 14 Mullacor Street Ferny Grove Qld 4055 - House for Sale #117383751 - realestate.com.au

This is only 35mins from Brisbane by train. Would be far more choice one hour away.

Springfield (30-40 mins by train):

26 Shallow Bay Drive Springfield Lakes Qld 4300 - House for Sale #118083743 - realestate.com.au

Here's a smaller more UK sized house for $335: 14 Piper Place Springfield Lakes Qld 4300 - House for Sale #115759427 - realestate.com.au

Unattractive front, modern inside, big back yard $399: 16 Morialta Street Springfield Lakes Qld 4300 - House for Sale #117592287 - realestate.com.au

5 bedroom, deck and pool, make an offer $485: 31 James Josey Avenue Springfield Lakes Qld 4300 - House for Sale #117622923 - realestate.com.au
I think you are stretching things a bit there...The total journey would be a bit more than 30/40 minutes...And who the hell would really move from the UK to live in Springfield Lakes?

I agree with the previous post.....anywhere where you would really want to live would be a lot more than $450K.....i would rather live in Birmingham
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree, Springfield Lakes is 'cheap' for good reason. Nice if you like living in a hot as hell dustbowl.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
I think you are stretching things a bit there...The total journey would be a bit more than 30/40 minutes...And who the hell would really move from the UK to live in Springfield Lakes?

I agree with the previous post.....anywhere where you would really want to live would be a lot more than $450K.....i would rather live in Birmingham
I clearly put 30-40 mins by train though right ? So people can add on the walk/bus/drive/cycle to the train station themselves depending on the house. Bit hard to work out door to door for every single house location.

And given the post you agree with said you would be 1 hour away and only get semi detached we have a bit of leeway

Fair enough, you may not like Springfield Lakes (or Redcliffe or anywhere not to your tastes really) but plenty do so I think it is worth pursuing given we don't know the OP. I don't agree with the assertion that 1 hour away will only get you townhouses or semis.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 8:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I clearly put 30-40 mins by train though right ? So people can add on the walk/bus/drive/cycle to the train station themselves depending on the house. Bit hard to work out door to door for every single house location.

And given the post you agree with said you would be 1 hour away and only get semi detached we have a bit of leeway

Fair enough, you may not like Springfield Lakes (or Redcliffe or anywhere not to your tastes really) but plenty do so I think it is worth pursuing given we don't know the OP. I don't agree with the assertion that 1 hour away will only get you townhouses or semis.
It's very eay to sit in the inner western suburbs and tell people (who may have no idea) how easy it is to buy a house at a budget....but the reality is most of those places are hardly 'living the dream'....if they are so great why don't you live in such a desirable location?

We get the same nonense when people ask about beaches and are pointed in the directon of the bayside suburbs....the beaches on Moreton bay are not really what people expect of Australian beaches as portrayed by the TV.

The bay is not always blue either( as the pictures usually show)...... I know because it is outside my window and is as often brown or grey.

You post in a very similar manner to another who used to flood the forum with such helpful 'facts'....you are not related are you?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
I have to agree, Springfield Lakes is 'cheap' for good reason. Nice if you like living in a hot as hell dustbowl.
Dustbowl, surprising. Though I guess we all see things differently and I'm sure the OP gets something out of all points of view.

I prefer to live close to the city but the few times I've driven out there it looked close to this video rather than a dustbowl, and had a lot of very impressive green space and facilities. Certainly better than many other outer suburban areas imo though it will be hotter than coastal areas like Redcliffe:

The kids free facilities seem very popular as well:

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 4th 2014 at 8:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.