British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bills!!!!! How much monthly for 3 bed house (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bills-how-much-monthly-3-bed-house-121421/)

scrawni Dec 10th 2002 7:57 pm

Bills!!!!! How much monthly for 3 bed house

Trying to find the average cost of general household bills (monthly) in Brisbane area. Average 3 bed house, family of 4. Can anyone help?

By the way can anyone recommend some nice places to set up home around the outskirts of Brisbane.

All replies appreciated.

scoobydooathome Dec 10th 2002 8:06 pm

Re: Bills!!!!! How much monthly for 3 bed house

Originally posted by scrawni
Trying to find the average cost of general household bills (monthly) in Brisbane area. Average 3 bed house, family of 4. Can anyone help?

By the way can anyone recommend some nice places to set up home around the outskirts of Brisbane.

All replies appreciated.

Hello,

There seems to be a bit of a housing boom going on in Brisbane at the moment, plus 26% so you are going to pay more for that property than 18 months ago, but still a bargain compared to the UK.

Avoid the Northern Subs.

Someone quoted 1900 AUD per month, EX house mortage, but this seemed over the odds, if you pay for your house outright and dont waste money on rubbish you may get away with 1400 /1600 AUD it all depends on the individual.

What about Western OZ property renting/buying seems cheaper

Let me know what you find..............

scrawni Dec 10th 2002 8:37 pm

bills

We are looking at sout Brisbane area, we may even decide to look at North New South Wales as we have family in both areas. I may be the case of what areas should we avoid. We don't really want to live central but a small town would be nice. We are going out in April and if we can get a few ideas first on where to aim for it would be nice.
Ta

scrawni Dec 10th 2002 8:40 pm

I have just read my reply, spelling terrible. I'm tired and I am going to bed!

Ceri Dec 10th 2002 11:10 pm

All replies appreciated.

General household bills, so I assume you mean electric, and food etc.

Electric... 90 days I pay around $230 AU , depending on the season (air con in the summer pushes it up a bit, or heater in the winter etc), so this is about $76 a month.. I have no gas, so everything is run on electric. (this is for two of us.. but I can't see it being much more for a family)

I don't know if you're going to buy or rent.. and I can not answer you on these bills for renting etc... because the cost differs greatly depending on which area you will be living. (i.e. you can rent a house from just $150 in some areas to the "sky's your limit", thousands)... same goes for buying and rates on houses, depends on the area. This is a hard topic to comment on. You can get one suburb, a two minute drive away from another suburb.. and the prices vary greatly between the two.

food bills weekly - about $150 for two of us (excluding daily milk and bread)

water... I pay nothing on water at the moment, only if you go into excess... but this depends on your council again. Usually you pay water rates, and get billed for any excess water used.

outskirts of Brisbane... I like Manly and Thornside, near wynnum, south side (by the sea/bay), but this area is rising big time in prices.

Northern Suburbs..
(Bay) Sandgate ... but mostly wood and expensive, fast booming area
( Bay) Redcliffe .... mixture of wood and brick
( Bay) Margate........ ''' ''' as above (same area)
(Bay) Woody Point '''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
(Bay) Scarbourough.. brick and canal houses
(pine River) Strathpine ..depending where you are.. there's some beaut houses next to the pine river in Strathpine

Pine rivers ... depending which area, again there are some lovely areas, river, or bushland.

Avoid further up like Deception Bay... my opinion, but the crime seems worse there, houses are cheap, and you can get some really nice, new houses there, but I wouldn't bother with area - "depression Bay" :)

Further up again ... Bribie Island (joined to the mainland by bridge). I was looking to buy there, and would have bought if it had been closer to my works.. nice place in my opinion

It's very hard saying which are the nice areas, too many to list "good and bad". The areas above I can comment on, and below for south side of the river.

South side - avoid Cannon hill area, and Murrarie etc... unless you like low flying planes ... the noise. I used to live in that part, good facilities, some lovely houses in the area, close to the Brisbane Bridge, and easy to get to the city etc, but a lot of aircraft noise over your house, depending where you live.
cheers:)

P.S Myself personally, I'd rent first, maybe for 6 months (renting here you can take 3 months, but this is usually if the house is for sale, short contract, and 6 and 12 months normal contracts), then you can look around at the Brisbane areas for yourself. get to know which areas are not suitable. What looks nice may not suit you for lots of reasons, schooling, time travelling to work, facillities etc.

Stan J Dec 11th 2002 9:51 am

Consider access to a train station or better still to the City Cat (Brisbane River commuter catamaran service) and proximity to suburban shopping malls. That's if you want to live in Brisbane.

If you are happy within three hours dive of Brisbane consider ...
Mullumbimby NSW (rural village 3 hrs south)
Kingscliffe NSW (coastal 2 hrs douth)
GoldCoast (coastal 1.5 hrs south)
Bribie Island (1.5 hrs north)
Caloundra (1.5 north)
Maroochydore/Mooloolaba (2 hrs north)
Noosa (2.5 hrs north)

You really need to get a feel of the place before commiting.

pommiesheila Dec 11th 2002 10:14 am

All replies appreciated.

Difficult to give you an answer to your first question, but as far as the second is concerned, you might like to check out the "Bayside Suburbs" e.g. Wellington Point, Victoria Point, Cleveland etc. Around 30 minutes drive to Brisbane CBD (Central Business District, i.e. City Centre), 40 minutes to northern end of Gold Coast, 1 hour to Sunshine Coast.

Nice, mostly middle-class suburbs, reasonable to good state schools (both primary and secondary), not touristy like the resorts on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts. No real beaches to speak of but the coastal areas are very nice and there's always Coochiemudlo Island, a 5 minute ferry trip from Vicky Point if you feel the need for a proper beach...
Good shopping centres at Vicky Point and Capalaba, nice Mountain scenery around Mount Cotton, and house prices are predicted to rise an average of 20% a year over the next 5, so hopefully it should be a good investment...

If you need short-term accommodation to look around the area, try Cleveland Visitor Villas, or there is Coochiemudlo Resort which is nice, but a bit isolated.

pommiesheila Dec 11th 2002 10:19 am

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Difficult to give you an answer to your first question, but as far as the second is concerned, you might like to check out the "Bayside Suburbs" e.g. Wellington Point, Victoria Point, Cleveland etc. Around 30 minutes drive to Brisbane CBD (Central Business District, i.e. City Centre), 40 minutes to northern end of Gold Coast, 1 hour to Sunshine Coast.

Nice, mostly middle-class suburbs, reasonable to good state schools (both primary and secondary), not touristy like the resorts on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts. No real beaches to speak of but the coastal areas are very nice and there's always Coochiemudlo Island, a 5 minute ferry trip from Vicky Point if you feel the need for a proper beach...
Good shopping centres at Vicky Point and Capalaba, nice Mountain scenery around Mount Cotton, and house prices are predicted to rise an average of 20% a year over the next 5, so hopefully it should be a good investment...

If you need short-term accommodation to look around the area, try Cleveland Visitor Villas, or there is Coochiemudlo Resort which is nice, but a bit isolated.

Just realised I used the word "nice" at least 4 times there. For "nice" middle-class suburbs read low crime rates, decent sized blocks of land still available in some of these areas if you have around £350,000-£450,000 (that's a decent 4 bed house with good sized plot and usually a pool), not too much rush-hour traffic, etc.

For "nice" coastal areas, read laid-back, relaxed areas where you can always find a parking space and don't have to queue all day to get one of the park-side bbq's.

Grotbags Dec 13th 2002 10:01 am

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Just realised I used the word "nice" at least 4 times there. For "nice" middle-class suburbs read low crime rates, decent sized blocks of land still available in some of these areas if you have around £350,000-£450,000 (that's a decent 4 bed house with good sized plot and usually a pool), not too much rush-hour traffic, etc.

For "nice" coastal areas, read laid-back, relaxed areas where you can always find a parking space and don't have to queue all day to get one of the park-side bbq's.

Pommie Sheila, I assume you meant $350-$450 k not £350-£450 k as we were out looking in the Manly area a month ago and saw some lovely big houses on double plots, sea view and pool for between $650-$700 k, which in pounds is around the £250.00 mark.

Ceri Dec 13th 2002 10:22 am

Originally posted by Grotbags
Pommie Sheila, I assume you meant $350-$450 k not £350-£450 k as we were out looking in the Manly area a month ago and saw some lovely big houses on double plots, sea view and pool for between $650-$700 k, which in pounds is around the £250.00 mark.

I know manly like my back hand, or does that sound uppish? (5 years in the area round here),,, well anyway, it's my local fishing club,/boat ramp and until recently (moved N Brisbane.. but still a member of manly boat club), my local pub joint... I'm in the Manly boat club, and have been for 5 years

the houses on the front ... try a million,

The housing estates yes "with sea vievs.??? lol.. on tip toes", on your roof reach around the 600 hundred thou mark.... nowhere near the sea view,
sigh

Grotbags Dec 13th 2002 2:10 pm

Originally posted by Ceri
I know manly like my back hand, or does that sound uppish? (5 years in the area round here),,, well anyway, it's my local fishing club,/boat ramp and until recently (moved N Brisbane.. but still a member of manly boat club), my local pub joint... I'm in the Manly boat club, and have been for 5 years

The housing estates yes "with sea vievs.??? lol.. on tip toes", on your roof reach around the 600 hundred thou mark.... nowhere near the sea view,
sigh

The houses we viewed were not on housing estates and they had a good sea view, maybe not right on the front, but a sea view nonetheless. We have family who have been there for over 20 years and I agree that the area has gone up even in the past year by quite a lot, but there were only a very few houses in the million mark. We have been advised not to buy on the sea front anyway, cos of the flies!

Grotbags Dec 13th 2002 5:13 pm

Originally posted by Ceri

sigh

By the way, I never mentioned houses on the front, they would be very expensive anywhere I would imagine. Don't know where the "housing estates" are, are you thinking of Manly West? We are looking to buy on the terraces. That is where we viewed properties. Didn't need tiptoes to see the sea either.

pommiesheila Dec 13th 2002 11:03 pm

Originally posted by Grotbags

Whoops, sorry about that, old habits die hard!!!

JustArrived Dec 18th 2002 8:28 am

Hi,

From my limited experience, if you include house rent in suburb (AU$200 per week) and car purchase/running costs (AU$200 per week) then you'd need minimum of AU$50,000 salary in Perth.