Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bill Bryson was wrong about Canberra!

Bill Bryson was wrong about Canberra!

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:36 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: Bill Bryson was wrong about Canberra!

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
If you need a reality check head towards Batemans Bay. Just out of Queanbeyan there is a right hand turn to Captain's Flat. Take it and head to bogan country...

WW
yeah but you can still buy a 3 bed house there for 140K!!! and still live 45 mins from the CBD. it's tempting.

... oh well i guess the secret is finally out about canberra. it took bluddy long enough! All i can say to those thinking about it, is give it a shot. all these people must live here for a reason.

Arkon, i'm glad you found canberra to your taste. it still amazes me when people ask in why i moved here. It's bluddy obvious to me!

As far as the airport goes, it's due to start flights to singapore, at some point.

by the way, hi all! i've been quiet for a while, but i'm still lurking and reading.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:43 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sasbear
...the most amazing thing happened - As I was driving to the pool at 6.30am in an inner Belconnen suburb - a skippy bounced across the road - it wasn't too close so I didn't have an accident - but it really made me smile - I love seeing them bouncing around - is it me???? Or are they just amazing animals?
one bounced in front of me on monday,... right off my bumber!! scared the shit out of me. the thing jumped out from behind a tree JUST at the wrong moment....

you're right though they are amazing. We get loads where we are, some big ones too! we had one down the drive last night, at first i thought it was a man stood there just on the extremities of the spot lights glare. then the dog saw it and started to run at it. luckily he came back when i called, but it was enough to scare the roo off. it was HUGE! taller than me at a guess and i'm a 6 footer.

you don't get so many around canberra, only when it really gets dry. but venture out of the suburbs and you really have to be careful... i presume it's like that everywhere though?

Last edited by scutterUK; Jul 23rd 2006 at 3:46 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK

you don't get so many around canberra, only when it really gets dry. but venture out of the suburbs and you really have to be careful... i presume it's like that everywhere though?
Well you certainly don't see them in Surfers, but we get plenty Good to see you're still with us Scutter. How's life and the missus?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:58 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
yeah but you can still buy a 3 bed house there for 140K!!! and still live 45 mins from the CBD. it's tempting.

... oh well i guess the secret is finally out about canberra. it took bluddy long enough! All i can say to those thinking about it, is give it a shot. all these people must live here for a reason.

Arkon, i'm glad you found canberra to your taste. it still amazes me when people ask in why i moved here. It's bluddy obvious to me!

As far as the airport goes, it's due to start flights to singapore, at some point.

by the way, hi all! i've been quiet for a while, but i'm still lurking and reading.
I think it's one of the countrys best kept secrets. The only really down side was the 'international' in the airport name. The idea of needing to add about $300 per person to any advertised price to fly anywhere abroad was a bit of a pisser. Aparently Virgin used to fly out from there but have given it up. I wonder why?