Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bill Bryson Down Under

Wikiposts

Bill Bryson Down Under

Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:10 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
OMG. Well blow me down with a dingo's fart. What a surprise...not! Another link to a '.gov.au' site.

Tell me, do you work for the Oz government, or are you just incapable of seeing how bad life is for the average indigenous Australian? Doesn't sit well with the illusion of 'fair go' Oz, does it?

Sounds like you suffer from 'mental trachoma'....
Still waiting for your pearls ... just in case, in the unlikely event ...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 4:28 am
Just Joined

prankster is an unknown quantity at this point

The biggest problem is the differences in Aborigine and White fella law.

Here's some reading about Aborigine Law,

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lrc.nsf/pages/r96chp3

How can two cultures so different comfortably co-exisit under two complete different legal systems. What do you teach? Do a search on "Aboriginal" and "Payback" and do some reading. White Fella law doesn't permit "Payback", otherwise it'd be considered Assault... but in Aborigine Law, "Payback" is legal. So how do you police this. If the police get involved, there's an uproar about unfairness and they shouldn't interefere with the Aborigine way of doing things. So what happens.... we take step back... and let it go on, leaving them to police themselves... and then get critisiced for doing so. We can't win etiher way.... and I don't know what the answer is either, it's a very tough issue, so as Bill Bryson says...What can you do?

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/...5E1702,00.html

"Traditional Walpiri man Jeremy Anthony, 23, had asked to be released on bail to return to his community where he would be speared four times in the upper leg by the family of the woman he is accused of killing, in a bid to settle tensions between the two families."

You're reading this right? I suppose this happens all the time in the UK?. How would you handle it?

Last edited by prankster; Apr 2nd 2004 at 8:04 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:48 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by datamile
Went to the http://www.tjapukai.com.au/ centre is cairns with the kids.

Had my daughter (age 4) in tears after watching a film of the Aboriginal history over the last 200 years. The shootings , forced missionaries, taking of children etc.

Hard things to explain to a child.
Has anyone seem that movie 'Rabbit Proof Fence?' Was in floods of tears afterwards & had my only moment of wobbling about 'do I want to go live in Oz'?

(Ken Brannagh has to take a share of the blame though, for playing that evil Brit governer bloke so well).

Amazing movie, though and I *do* recommend it.

Anya.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:52 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Since when did the Welsh have an average life expectancy 20 years below the rest of the UK?
Surely that punishment is exclusively reserved for the Welsh Rugby team, when they lose.....?

Anya.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:17 am
Australian Flyer

Pedro Downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am currently reading DownUnder by Bill Bryson and loving every minute of it.

Anyway let me get back to my reading.

regards,
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anya4oz
...& had my only moment of wobbling about 'do I want to go live in Oz'?
So, given that things are still bad for the Oz indigenous people (see 'Independent' article above), what stopped your wobbling?
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:52 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anya4oz
Has anyone seem that movie 'Rabbit Proof Fence?' Was in floods of tears afterwards & had my only moment of wobbling about 'do I want to go live in Oz'?

(Ken Brannagh has to take a share of the blame though, for playing that evil Brit governer bloke so well).

Amazing movie, though and I *do* recommend it.

Anya.
Try "the leaving of Liverpool" think it is out on video and DVD makes rabbit proof look tame!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by seang
Try "the leaving of Liverpool" think it is out on video and DVD makes rabbit proof look tame!
Let's look at the facts.

The "Leaving of Liverpool", refers to the period between 1922 and 1967 when about 150 000 children with an average age of eight years and nine months were shipped from Great Britain to help populate the British Dominions of Canada, Rhodesia, New Zealand and Australia with 'good white stock'. Often these children were from unmarried mothers. Estimates of the number of children sent to Australia vary from 5 000 to 10 000, most of whom were sent to charitable and religious institutions. However many child migrants later claimed that they were ill-treated in the institutions to which they were sent.

Many years later, both the Oz and UK governments apologised.

"Rabbit proof fence" refers to those indigenous Australians that were (often forcibly) removed from their parents and placed with white 'folk'. The motive was totally different from "Leaving of Liverpool" - to 'breed-out' (the sensitive Oz term used was 'f***ing them white') aboriginal blood. What term do you want to use? ethnic cleansing is the most appropriate. And the Oz and UK governments have not apologised.

Indeed, the wonderfully moral Oz PM, John Howard, refuses to apologise.

Two groups of people, two different sets of objectives and rules. Please pass me a bucket while I throw
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

The Leaving of Liverpool? Is that the one that was shown late on BBC a couple of months back? It was the story of a girl and two boys from the orphanage and the little boy died? I watched that, it was okay.

I have also read Down Under, it was good but he didn't say much about Brisbane if I remember correctly, it was over in a couple of pages. I've read most of his books, very enjoyable reading.

A good 'oz' read, if that's what you're after, is 'A Fortunate Life' by AB Facey. I've mentioned this one on an earlier thread. You can't beat it, IMHO. True story.

sandy
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:06 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Let's look at the facts.

The "Leaving of Liverpool", refers to the period between 1922 and 1967 when about 150 000 children with an average age of eight years and nine months were shipped from Great Britain to help populate the British Dominions of Canada, Rhodesia, New Zealand and Australia with 'good white stock'. Often these children were from unmarried mothers. Estimates of the number of children sent to Australia vary from 5 000 to 10 000, most of whom were sent to charitable and religious institutions. However many child migrants later claimed that they were ill-treated in the institutions to which they were sent.

Many years later, both the Oz and UK governments apologised.

and yet earlier you had a go at megs about quoting from .gov.au sites ?????

Here's the rest of the article from the .gov.au site you quoted

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/intgui...dmigrantuk.htm

read it and see the refusals by certain areas to "say sorry" till recently and the scant apologies even then

Last edited by seang; Apr 3rd 2004 at 8:13 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:06 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandy.l
A good 'oz' read, if that's what you're after, is 'A Fortunate Life' by AB Facey. I've mentioned this one on an earlier thread. You can't beat it, IMHO. True story.

sandy
Yep, good read! I mentioned it on a thread the other day, too!

Also, My Place, Sally Morgan. Also an autobiography.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by seang
and yet earlier you had a go at megs about quoting from .gov.au sites ?????

Here's the rest of the article from the .gov.au site you quoted

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/intgui...dmigrantuk.htm

read it and see the refusals by certain areas to "say sorry" till recently and the scant apologies even then
The reason I quoted from that site is that the "Leaving of Liverpool" was a UK initiative - albeit Oz and other countries supported it. Given that Oz loves to criticise things British, I assumed it was safe to quote from an Oz site. However, if you have found a site that gives a contrary or greatly different view, please quote it.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 5:58 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Latest figures show a 45.5 per cent reduction in average monthly alcohol-related offences at the 800-strong Lockhart River Aboriginal community.

The community had also experienced a 58 per cent drop in offences against people and a 91 per cent drop in average monthly new assaults reported to its health centre.

Alcohol management working: Clark

ALMOST 50,000 Aboriginal school students will receive one-on-one tutoring in reading, writing and maths as part of the latest round of federal funding.

Education Minister Brendan Nelson said funding for programs helping indigenous students, from pre-school to university, would rise to $2.1 billion over the next four years.

Aboriginal student spending boost

Last edited by Megalania; Apr 4th 2004 at 6:03 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 12:47 am
Banned

Default How Far In?

"I don't want to go down the road of prohibition and I make that very clear, but this is a matter of life and death," Mr Beattie said.

"You can't allow a situation where children are being bashed and their future denied and women are being bashed in particular, but also men, because of alcohol."

Hope Vale Community Council chairman Greg McLean said a lack of police resources in far north Queensland indigenous communities would impede the plans' success.

"We have state police from Cooktown who have to drive 50km to Hope Vale to police this. How do we work around the clock in policing the system?" Mr McLean said.

"We need to be properly resourced, we also need a detox centre, a rehabilitation centre, we just can't have our people go off the alcohol."

Indigenous leaders slam grog plans