Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bikes: how clean is clean?

Bikes: how clean is clean?

Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:56 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Bikes: how clean is clean?

Yes, I know this has probably been covered in at least 400,000 other threads, but having just spent 20 mins swearing at the search engine (which is coming up with irrelevant stuff), please bear with me.

We are shipping our 3 bikes to Oz next week. They are 'working bikes' i.e. they get ridden a lot and look quite dirty. No matter how much we clean them, they don't *look* clean to me.

Pressure washing simply strips the paint off, so it's not an option unsless we want to be the proud owners of 3 gleaming silver bikes (quite cool, though, eh?)

So, do we need to strip them down & degrease them, or do the good men of the Oz Customs understand that bikes are for usin' and will be a bit grungy looking, as long as there's no actual mud/spiders on them, the tires are clean & they smell of Jeyes Fluid?

TIA for any help on this.

Anya.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 7:34 am
owieb

We cleaned our bikes thoroughly, including decreasing them, but we tend to do that on a regular basis anyway. They were pretty spotless when they were sent over.

I did have a spare set of forks which I hadn't bothered degreasing and the customs picked up on them and wanted them cleaned, yet I had a bag of old brake stuff which was pretty greasy and that went through fine!

IMO if they look clean and there isn't any noticable mud or dirt they should be fine. But it really depends how closely customs look at them.

Old Jul 26th 2004, 9:30 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by owieb
We cleaned our bikes thoroughly, including decreasing them
LOL! What a great idea! Makes 'em easier to transport, eh?!
Old Jul 26th 2004, 10:16 am
Owieb

Default Re: Bikes: how clean is clean?

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
    > LOL! What a great
idea! Makes 'em easier to transport, eh?!

Certainly saves on
getting a huge cleaning bill from customs if they have any dirt or mud
on them! :rolleyes:

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 26th 2004, 10:34 am
owieb

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
LOL! What a great idea! Makes 'em easier to transport, eh?!
My fingers are cold and I can't type properly!