bike license

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

funkylad36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BIKE LICENCE

Hi every one, im new here 1st post so be nice please, we are a family of 4 moving to perth later this year, i wanted to do my bike test in the uk, but have been told i will have to retake test again in perth, is this true, if so i will wait till i get to perth.

Last edited by funkylad36; Jun 3rd 2009 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bike license

I don't believe so. Do your bike license here, get your new license card and swap it when you get to Oz. Doing a bike license in Oz seems to be a real mission - riding around with P plates and all for ages. Make sure you do your full (big bike) license here.

Check their website:-

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourlicence/9554.asp

Good Luck!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:51 pm
ABCDiamond

If you are under 19 or have held your overseas licence for less than two years, you will get a probationary WA licence.

A probationary licence means that you will be required to display 'P' plates when driving until the probationary period expires.

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:13 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BIKE LICENCE

Originally Posted by funkylad36
Hi every one, im new here 1st post so be nice please, we are a family of 4 moving to perth later this year, i wanted to do my bike test in the uk, but have been told i will have to retake test again in perth, is this true, if so i will wait till i get to perth.
Take it as soon as you can in the UK, and get as much of the probationary period over with before you get settled and buy a bike down under. As already mentioned, make sure you get a bike big license.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you are under 19 or have held your overseas licence for less than two years, you will get a probationary WA licence.

A probationary licence means that you will be required to display 'P' plates when driving until the probationary period expires.
Ok I have this query:

My son has just turned 17 (July) and the wheels are in motion for him to pass his car and motorbike licenses by say end November 2009. I understand the probationary period rule i.e. P plates either red or green for two years etc...

But in the UK if he gets his A1 license here he can ride any size bike after two years. That means his A1 license automatically becomes a Full (big bike) license if we stayed here.

If we then get to Oz in October 2010 and swap his license after he has had it for a year (within 3 months after arriving), will he be restricted to bike size and not automatically be able ride any size bike after two years of having his license?

The WA and QLD websites don't mention how this works re more testing etc...

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 30th 2009 at 1:52 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Ok I have this query:

My son has just turned 17 (July) and the wheels are in motion for him to pass his car and motorbike licenses by say end November 2009. I understand the probationary period rule i.e. P plates either red or green for two years etc...

But in the UK if he gets his A1 license here he can ride any size bike after two years. That means his A1 license automatically becomes a Full (big bike) license if we stayed here.

If we then get to Oz in October 2010 and swap his license after he has had it for a year (within 3 months after arriving), will he be restricted to bike size and not automatically be able ride any size bike after two years of having his license?

The WA and QLD websites don't mention how this works re more testing etc...
For starters it varies between the States so you need to know where you are moving to first.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
For starters it varies between the States so you need to know where you are moving to first.
WA or QLD.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

this is what OH is doing.... he has passed theory and CBT and is just about to take part 1/...

we are moving to Qld Oct or Nov.... do you think he will have to ride with P plates on too and will he be restricted at all as it was our understanding as he wouldnt...

also if you could help..... DD will be 17 in 2 weeks should we get her a previsional car licence here (UK) and change it over in Qld or should she just apply for one when we get there...

thanks.....
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:32 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Ok I have this query:

My son has just turned 17 (July) and the wheels are in motion for him to pass his car and motorbike licenses by say end November 2009.
Al (can I call you Al? ) - in addition to the legal position, which I know nothing about, two other things to consider:

- in NSW (which may not be the same for your states, so check), IIRC P platers are restricted to 250cc, not the 125cc or 33bhp that is the restriction in the UK. Knowing what a moron I was at 19 (your son is surely smarter!), that would already have been a big enough bump up for me. But you know your son's judgement, obviously.

- another thing to consider: even if your son was legally entitled to ride a big bike without Ps on the basis of his UK licence, there's a good chance that a cop that notices a young guy without Ps on a big bike is going to look for any excuse to pull him over.

Just a couple of things to consider - other more experienced/knowledgeable people will surely be along soon.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Al (can I call you Al? ) - in addition to the legal position, which I know nothing about, two other things to consider:

- in NSW (which may not be the same for your states, so check), IIRC P platers are restricted to 250cc, not the 125cc or 33bhp that is the restriction in the UK. Knowing what a moron I was at 19 (your son is surely smarter!), that would already have been a big enough bump up for me. But you know your son's judgement, obviously.

- another thing to consider: even if your son was legally entitled to ride a big bike without Ps on the basis of his UK licence, there's a good chance that a cop that notices a young guy without Ps on a big bike is going to look for any excuse to pull him over.

Just a couple of things to consider - other more experienced/knowledgeable people will surely be along soon.
Thanks for tips and insight, they are duly noted.