Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bike hire in Melbourne

Bike hire in Melbourne

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bike hire in Melbourne

Does anyone know of a good place where to hire a couple of bicycles for a couple of weeks in Melbourne please?

thanks in advance

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bike hire in Melbourne

Originally posted by Sunny spells
Does anyone know of a good place where to hire a couple of bicycles for a couple of weeks in Melbourne please?

thanks in advance

As soon as Hidden Paw sees this you will have your answer!

In the meantime Google threw this up:

http://www.onecer.net/abbotsfordcycl...le-rental.html

OzTennis
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

he he! thought my ears were burning! haven't been online for about 5 days and just heard my name being called!

Well, I don't actually know where you can hire bikes in Melbourne cos we have 6 bikes between 2 of us in our household (2 of which went on the plane with us when we flew to Oz!) so have never had to hire them. (Now if you wanted to buy bikes, I could help...)

However, I took a guess that the Bicycle Victoria website would have some links and sure enough, there is a section on bike hire.....but the link on this page doesn't work:
http://www.bv.com.au/Template.cfm?Se...ContentID=1269

There is a 'contacts' section on the bv site (www.bv.com.au) so I would drop them a line and ask for them to send the info. Plus you can get maps off this site or ask them and they'll probaby send you some cycling route maps.

Happy cycling!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

thanks guys

we thought about taking them with us on the plain, but we are stopping over for a week in Japan and I am not sure what would happen to the bikes...
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:13 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

thanks guys

we thought about taking them with us on the plain, but we are stopping over for a week in Japan and I am not sure what would happen to the bikes...

If your stuck I can give you one bike for a couple of weeks.
( Females bike)
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link also:
http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/con...&action=search

The rates from Borsari seem very reasonable:
http://www.borsaricycles.com.au/hire.htm

We used to hire for weekends from "Hire A Bicycle" on the south bank of the Yarra. It's under the Princess Bridge, very close to Flinders Street Train Station. Not sure if they would rent for 2 weeks though - we only did 2-day hire each time.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 4:42 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
(2 of which went on the plane with us when we flew to Oz!)
Ouch, how much did that cost?

I will be desperately looking for a bike to hire for a few weeks too when we get to Melbourne. The few online rates I could see suggest that it would be a lot cheaper simply to buy one!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Ouch, how much did that cost?
part of the 40kg baggage allowance!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Try this link also:
http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/con...&action=search

The rates from Borsari seem very reasonable:
http://www.borsaricycles.com.au/hire.htm

We used to hire for weekends from "Hire A Bicycle" on the south bank of the Yarra. It's under the Princess Bridge, very close to Flinders Street Train Station. Not sure if they would rent for 2 weeks though - we only did 2-day hire each time.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Useless facts of the day #83 - Nino Borsari was an Italian immigrant who came to Melbourne. He rode in the Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games and had a very distinguished career. He has/had a bicycle shop in Carlton close to Melbourne University and the patch in Lygon Street was very familiar territory in my student days - ah, Jimmy Watson's, the University Cafe, Dimattina's etc. There's also a wonderful cake shop and cafe around the corner from Dimattina's. The Italian restaurants and cafes in Lygon Street are a 'must' for anyone and I'll be checking them out soon as well as visiting my alma mater. Maybe I could get back the fair slice of my student grant they took!! (Pelligrini's in Bourke St is another institution - Melbourne has much to thank the Italians for, they really started international cuisine in the 1950's).

The bike hire near the boatsheds does brisk trade but as Mark and JTL mention any hire might prove expensive for a longer period and hire for a few days and a purchase might be the way to go. It is an amazing sight to see all the office workers jogging and cycling during their lunchtime along the riverbanks.

HP - our bikes would more than take up the 40kg allowance, you will have the titanium or whatever versions.

OzTennis
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks OZT

do you think he'll give me a discount, since I'm Italian?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks OZT

do you think he'll give me a discount, since I'm Italian?
I'm sure he will if you just 'speakadabitofthelingo'

OzTennis