Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BigPond internet usage

BigPond internet usage

Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:04 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default BigPond internet usage

We are staying a relatives place while they are overseas, thus using their facilities.
They have a basic internet package with BigPond and im pretty sure between the four of us we will use it easy plus more
Any idea how much the extra usage is likely to cost them when they get back so we can budget for it now?????!!!!!

Thanks................

C x
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BigPond internet usage

I would try to up the package, as if you go over on any package they charge extortionate prices.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:11 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
We are staying a relatives place while they are overseas, thus using their facilities.
They have a basic internet package with BigPond and im pretty sure between the four of us we will use it easy plus more
Any idea how much the extra usage is likely to cost them when they get back so we can budget for it now?????!!!!!

Thanks................

C x
It depends what package they are on. If they have ADSL then it could be the $59.99 per month plan, which gives you 12GB a month. After you have reached that amount the internet will just slow down. You are not charged for extra usage. Maybe all Bigpond plans just slow down once you have reached a certain amount per month now? Have a look on the Bigpond website, and have a look at the plans that way maybe?
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Usage only slows down after you have reached your limit on the cheaper packages, on the more expensive ones if you go over your limit you are charged by the minute.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Main thing to watch is the downloads rather than the usage in minutes/hours. Thats the killer on most plans over here.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Klaus Naumann is an unknown quantity at this point

When you go over the limit you are charged per megabyte of useage.

Big Pond pretend to be helpful by providing a useage meter...so you can see how much you have left for the month.

DO NOT trust them, it is a trick! They told me one day before the end of the month that I had 6 gigabytes left...two days later they sent me a bill saying that I went 8 gigabytes over!!! It tripled my bill.

I didn't even turn my computer on during that last day!
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:29 am
Just Joined

charlie76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I would try to up the package, as if you go over on any package they charge extortionate prices.
I'd second this as I'm in this position now - I've only been here for 3 weeks, yet I've added about $80 to my friends bill. They're on a 200MB per month plan for $29.99 on BigPond/cable. I'd give them a call to see what your options are.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 2:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie76
I'd second this as I'm in this position now - I've only been here for 3 weeks, yet I've added about $80 to my friends bill. They're on a 200MB per month plan for $29.99 on BigPond/cable. I'd give them a call to see what your options are.
Problem with BigPond though is that if you don't know the username and password and the birthdate of the person who's name the account is under they won't let you do anything with the account. Every time my husband tried to talk to anyone at Telstra (about anything!) they wouldn't give him the time of day until I came on the line and verified he had my permission to talk to them about my account.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 4:33 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Second the fact that the BigPond usage meter is crap. It is also crap that is up to 4 hours old. Which can make a difference if you do a lot of downloading & uploading (uploads count too) ... such as running your Peer2Peer client at lot.

Last time I looked excess usage was charged at $0.15 per MB (ADSL).
http://my.bigpond.com/internetplans/...nd/adsl/plans/

If you are using a Liberty plan (as I am) then you don't get charged extra, the connection just slows to 64kbps (dial-up, bascially) until the end of the month.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 5:02 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
If you are using a Liberty plan (as I am) then you don't get charged extra, the connection just slows to 64kbps (dial-up, bascially) until the end of the month.
Me too. Though I did go over my limit the month before last and they 'forgot' to slow me down
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by wmoore
Me too. Though I did go over my limit the month before last and they 'forgot' to slow me down
Yeh, I've heard a couple of those happening, not to me, obviously

My record for being slowed-down is the 3rd of the month, I was catching-up with Top Gear at the time

And, actually, half-way through this month I am still on ADSL speed ... just ...
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

I always get speeded up the last day before the new month starts, That day I download about 20 gig! Been doing it for over a year now.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Gjn200
I always get speeded up the last day before the new month starts, That day I download about 20 gig! Been doing it for over a year now.
Yeh, I'm always one day ahead too ... I thought it just got added to the next months tally.

Damned Liberty broadband, what I save in excess fees is taken up by buying a big external back-up drive ... ah, the trials of modern life
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:42 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie76
This is the plan they are on too!!!! And we have used all the quota already and the next cutoff bill is 4th August!!!!
Looked on the meter thing and additional usage is charged at 0.15c per mb....................C x
Old Jul 15th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Ianha77 is an unknown quantity at this point

So why is everyone still with Bigpond? I gave them the elbow 18 months ago. They reduced there prices a month after i signed up, but, because i was on a contract i had to carry on paying the original price! I ended up buying out of the contract. They were happy to let me go because i had to pay the penalty fee, but i got loads of calls from them when i also took my home phone line from them. Give the little guy a go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.