Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Big W the same as Walmart?

Is Big W the same as Walmart?

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough
Default Is Big W the same as Walmart?

I know this is a silly question but I'd still like to know. Years ago when I first met my mother in law she told me something like "at least Australia doesn't have Walmart", and all the negative that comes with it I suppose. She told me her biggest issue with it is the fact that employees are not allowed to become unionized. Fair enough. When I visited Australia I got my film developed in a store called "Big W". The funny thing is all of the signs are exactly the same as Walmart signs, and the store is set up the same way. I checked out the Big W website and there is no mention of Walmart. I even emailed them but got no response. Any insight?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:25 am

gedge has disabled reputation

From what I've read, they are not the same company, but there may be some links between the two.

The Walmart influence over Woolworths
Go into any of Woolies Big W stores around Australia and its like a mini Walmart Supercentre, The colour scheme, the look, the 'stack em high' approach to merchandising
Bung something like walmart "big w" into a search engine.
There's a few articles discussing Woolies and Wal-Mart as competitors esp in the UK?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:30 am

gedge has disabled reputation

OT - does anyone use the selfserve tills in Big W?
They are so annoying...
"Unexpected item in the bagging area"
"Item removed from bagging area. Please replace item.."

Aaargghh! I'm all for technology that helps you but these things can be worse than a pimply cashier sometimes.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:50 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JulesandChris
OT - does anyone use the selfserve tills in Big W?
They are so annoying...
"Unexpected item in the bagging area"
"Item removed from bagging area. Please replace item.."

Aaargghh! I'm all for technology that helps you but these things can be worse than a pimply cashier sometimes.

You must have very posh Big W, never heard of that up in QLD
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:54 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Big W the same as Walmart?

Originally posted by PaulaJ
I know this is a silly question but I'd still like to know. Years ago when I first met my mother in law she told me something like "at least Australia doesn't have Walmart", and all the negative that comes with it I suppose. She told me her biggest issue with it is the fact that employees are not allowed to become unionized. Fair enough. When I visited Australia I got my film developed in a store called "Big W". The funny thing is all of the signs are exactly the same as Walmart signs, and the store is set up the same way. I checked out the Big W website and there is no mention of Walmart. I even emailed them but got no response. Any insight?

It can be very confusing especially with duplication of names. Big W is an offshoot of Woolworths in Australia. Woolworths is a grocery retailer and I believe "stole" the F.W. Woolworths name from the US chain when established. The two are unrelated.

In the UK Woolworths (unrelated to the Aus one) is more like the US Woolworths. Confusingly, however, they also have Big W which are similar to Australian Big W stores, though again I believe unrelated.

To add to the confusion the Oz Woolworths is headed by Roger Corbett, the UK Woolworths by Gerald Corbett, again I believe unrelated

I won't even get onto Target (or Tarjay as I prefer to call it!)

Last edited by jayr; Jul 23rd 2004 at 4:01 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Walmart (ASDA) is just what Australia needs. A bit of serious competition. An improvement from the Coles and Woolworths which are similiar to SPAR in the UK.

Cheers

Lee
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leejo
Walmart (ASDA) is just what Australia needs. A bit of serious competition. An improvement from the Coles and Woolworths which are similiar to SPAR in the UK.

Cheers

Lee
We like to keep things simple

2 people own the shops.

One owns the airline.

If theres an election put a lunatic up as the opposition ruling out any competition.

Dont shoot me I was half joking
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:43 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Cheers

Lee
What Aus needs is for its people to wake up that every time they drive to the malls, they are being screwed. That a moment's convenience now translates into hip pocket transplants later.

There are many small merchants, often right next to the supermarkets, offering better products and lower prices.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Megalania
What Aus needs is for its people to wake up that every time they drive to the malls, they are being screwed. That a moment's convenience now translates into hip pocket transplants later.

There are many small merchants, often right next to the supermarkets, offering better products and lower prices.
Totally agree with 'the being screwed every time you visit the mall.'

In an idea world the small retailer would rule. Better prices, better quality.

But those days have gone and it's time to move on. The global market is here and here to stay.

Cheers

Lee
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 6:03 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by Megalania

It may just be the suburb I live in but there are some very good small butchers and deli food stores around
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 6:10 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Totally agree with 'the being screwed every time you visit the mall.'

In an idea world the small retailer would rule. Better prices, better quality.

But those days have gone and it's time to move on. The global market is here and here to stay.

Cheers

Lee
The point is not that small merchants can provide for ALL needs, but they provide AN alternative, keeping the large merchants responsive.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough

I suppose the Walmart/superstore debate will go on forever. Every time I go I'm torn between wanting to shop at my small local merchants but knowing I get more value for money at the bigger stores.

I'm not entirely convinced the stores are not connected in some way. Same signs. Same slogans. Same name tags. If Big W was operating in the states surely they'd be sued by Walmart for some kind of trademark violations. (Of course in the US it doesn't take much to get sued).

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Paula
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

sumpti is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad I know, but here is the list of the current Walmart divisions.
Hubby works for one of them but not heard any plans to develop further................having said that nothing is impossible and knowing the concept behind Walmart, who knows what may turn up on the street corner

International Web Sites

Argentina: www.wal-mart.com.ar/nuevo/index2.php
Brazil: http://www.walmartbrasil.com.br/wmbr...s/HomePage.jsp

Canada: www.walmartcanada.ca

China: www.wal-martchina.com

Germany: www.walmartgermany.de

Japan: http://www.the-seiyu.com/

Mexico: www.walmartmexico.com.mx

Korea: www.walmartkorea.com

Puerto Rico: www.walmartpr.com

United Kingdom: www.asda.com
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 7:29 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by jayr
You must have very posh Big W, never heard of that up in QLD

I think the one near us does in Taigum (QLD) - just two poxy tills that are never used mind