Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big & Small TV Aerials in Oz

Big & Small TV Aerials in Oz

Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:45 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Big & Small TV Aerials in Oz

Hello All,

I think I need a new TV aerial, and I was wondering; do I still need the big one and the small one or can everything (free-to-air) be picked up with a small aerial nowadays?

Cheers
A
PS: I make no comment on the quality of the TV and don't expect anyone else to enlighten me.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of
Default Re: Big & Small TV Aerials in Oz

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello All,

I think I need a new TV aerial, and I was wondering; do I still need the big one and the small one or can everything (free-to-air) be picked up with a small aerial nowadays?

Cheers
A
PS: I make no comment on the quality of the TV and don't expect anyone else to enlighten me.
Hello,
Not quite sure what you mean by the big one and the small one (oo-er) but we have one huge aerial that picked up very little and now we have a set top box and a crystal clear picture! I'm sure that's no help, sorry!
Lou
Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by kulu
Hello,
Not quite sure what you mean by the big one and the small one (oo-er) but we have one huge aerial that picked up very little and now we have a set top box and a crystal clear picture! I'm sure that's no help, sorry!
Lou
Thanks for trying.

We have one area which has large prongs sticking out horizontally. The start at about 4' across (2' each side) and then get smaller as they get further from the mast. On the same mast we have a smaller one similar to the type found in the UK.

I was trying to avoid the set-top box as we don't watch much TV.

Cheers again
Alistair
Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

Thanks for trying.

We have one area which has large prongs sticking out horizontally. The start at about 4' across (2' each side) and then get smaller as they get further from the mast. On the same mast we have a smaller one similar to the type found in the UK.

Cheers again
Alistair
We only got the box for the picture quality not the extra channels, we got pretty much the cheapest one we could find because it was cheaper than risking something that may not work anyway like a booster or new aerial. I don't watch enough TV to notice the new channels! It's more the children and my husband.
Lou
Old Jul 8th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Thanks for trying.

Cheers again
Alistair
The big one is for receiving VHF signals, the UK type one is for UHF stuff. Australia transmits TV on both UHF and VHF, where UK only uses UHF really.

It all depends on where you are and what tranmitters/translators you can pick up as they all transmit on different frequencies. Best to go into a local dick smith or jaycar and ask them (they'll sell you the aerial as well). Alternatively, just look and see what everyone else has got in your area.

You also need a combiner to join the two aerials into one cable to feed your tv (should you need two aerials).

Chances are that your cable is stuffed as well, so best to replace that if you are unsure.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by extrameant
The big one is for receiving VHF signals, the UK type one is for UHF stuff. Australia transmits TV on both UHF and VHF, where UK only uses UHF really.

It all depends on where you are and what tranmitters/translators you can pick up as they all transmit on different frequencies. Best to go into a local dick smith or jaycar and ask them (they'll sell you the aerial as well). Alternatively, just look and see what everyone else has got in your area.

You also need a combiner to join the two aerials into one cable to feed your tv (should you need two aerials).

Chances are that your cable is stuffed as well, so best to replace that if you are unsure.
Thanks. I'll go and ask. I suspect SBS is still on VHS.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by kulu
We only got the box for the picture quality not the extra channels, we got pretty much the cheapest one we could find because it was cheaper than risking something that may not work anyway like a booster or new aerial. I don't watch enough TV to notice the new channels! It's more the children and my husband.
Lou
I never thought of it like that. I hope you don't mind, but roughly how much was the set-top box.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:28 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought of it like that. I hope you don't mind, but roughly how much was the set-top box.

Cheers
Alistair

Dont know exatly how much they are, sure less than $100 and i reckon its going to be a much cheaper option than a new aerial, and the picture will be perfect.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers
Alistair
The cheapest we saw was $120 at Big W but ours was nearer $200.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Dont know exatly how much they are, sure less than $100 and i reckon its going to be a much cheaper option than a new aerial, and the picture will be perfect.
Thanks, that's what I was starting to think.

Thanks to kulu as well.
Alistair
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:55 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

ISTR we got ours 'dirt cheap' as part of a 'special' by Foxtel (YIKES - does this mean I'm now 'Out-Foxed?' :scared: )

Because there's no cable where we live, we also had to have a Jodrell Bank dish thing installed on the roof (hated it at first, but think it looks quite cool now - must be all that Fox TV rotting my brain)!

Picture on all channels is great. And no, I don't watch much TV either, but it is nice seeing the small amount I *do* watch with a clear, sharp picture.

Anya.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 12:15 am
ABCDiamond

I haven't looked into Set Top Boxes yet, but just looked in my Good Guys leaflet, and the one they have listed is $499. An LG HD Digital 5.1 Dolby, DVI.

Don't know if that helps, but I assume there must be some very different types out there.

Old Jul 9th 2005, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I haven't looked into Set Top Boxes yet, but just looked in my Good Guys leaflet, and the one they have listed is $499. An LG HD Digital 5.1 Dolby, DVI.

Don't know if that helps, but I assume there must be some very different types out there.
There is a difference in picture quality beteween standard and high definition boxes (apparently) but as our tv is not high definition it would be a waste to buy the more expensive high definition box! The main thing is that it will all go digital some day anyway so having a box will save hassles later on.
Happy shopping!
Old Jul 9th 2005, 8:02 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I THINK that one records aswell, therefore the extra dosh