Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big drop in NZ children's reading performance

Big drop in NZ children's reading performance

Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Big drop in NZ children's reading performance

A new international survey on children's reading shows a dramatic drop in the reading performance of New Zealand children over the past 10 years. The recently released, state-of the-art, Progress in International Reading Literacy Study of nine and ten year olds shows that NZ now ranks 13th, behind such countries as the Czech Republic, Hungary, Lithuania, Bulgaria, England, the US and Canada.
"It is particularly disturbing to find that NZ was almost the LOWEST of the English speaking countries," says Professor Tunmer (Pro Vice Chancellor of Massey Univ College of Ed).
"Equally disturbing is the finding that NZ showed one of the largest gaps between good and poor readers. This finding ADDS to the growing body of research showing large inequities in literacy achievement for NZ children."
The survey also showed NZ was worst equal with Iran and Belize in terms of the difference in scores between boys and girls.
"These results are extremely disappointing but not surprising because the MoE has resisted calls for fundamental changes to the way reading is taught in NZ schools" says Professor Chapman. The strong opposition to including explicit and systematic phonics instruction over the past 20 years almost exactly coincides with NZ's steady decline in international studies of literacy achievement Professor Chapman says.

Last edited by muppetking; Apr 28th 2003 at 5:52 am.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:36 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Interesting... though the observation about phonics I am yet to be quite convinced of. Northern Ireland still teaches a very "three 'r's" education and has the highest educational standards in the UK.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by lairdside
Interesting... though the observation about phonics I am yet to be quite convinced of. Northern Ireland still teaches a very "three 'r's" education and has the highest educational standards in the UK.
Fair enough but England ranked 3rd overall in the study and the phonics based approach is well entrenched.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:46 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by muppetking
Fair enough but England ranked 3rd overall in the study and the phonics based approach is well entrenched.
I wasn't drawing any conclusions either way. There are always exceptions in any wide ranging example. With so many factors involved the reasons for the relative sucess/failure of any system are difficult to replicate.

I was not taught using the phonics system (alright, I'm no spring chicken...lol) and neither were my two elder children who were school age whilst they lived in the UK (England and Wales as well as N.I.). They are aged eleven and thirteen. I think it may well depend upon your school and the area in which you live.

I sent the article to a friend of mine who is an ex-pat Kiwi living in the US for the past 2 years. Should get a reaction Would you happen to have the url ? Be very grateful if you do as I can send it to her...
Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

I wasn't drawing any conclusions either way. There are always exceptions in any wide ranging example. With so many factors involved the reasons for the relative sucess/failure of any system are difficult to replicate.

I was not taught using the phonics system (alright, I'm no spring chicken...lol) and neither were my two elder children who were school age whilst they lived in the UK (England and Wales as well as N.I.). They are aged eleven and thirteen. I think it may well depend upon your school and the area in which you live.

I sent the article to a friend of mine who is an ex-pat Kiwi living in the US for the past 2 years. Should get a reaction Would you happen to have the url ? Be very grateful if you do as I can send it to her...
http://isc.bc.edu/pirls2001.html
Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:58 am
Howling at the Moon

http://isc.bc.edu/pirls2001.html
Thankyou!
Old Apr 28th 2003, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Big drop in NZ children's reading performance

A new international survey on children's reading shows a dramatic drop in the reading performance of New Zealand children over the past 10 years. The recently released, state-of the-art, Progress in International Reading Literacy Study of nine and ten year olds shows that NZ now ranks 13th, behind such countries as the Czech Republic, Hungary, Lithuania, Bulgaria, England, the US and Canada.
"It is particularly disturbing to find that NZ was almost the LOWEST of the English speaking countries," says Professor Tunmer (Pro Vice Chancellor of Massey Univ College of Ed).
"Equally disturbing is the finding that NZ showed one of the largest gaps between good and poor readers. This finding ADDS to the growing body of research showing large inequities in literacy achievement for NZ children."
The survey also showed NZ was worst equal with Iran and Belize in terms of the difference in scores between boys and girls.
"These results are extremely disappointing but not surprising because the MoE has resisted calls for fundamental changes to the way reading is taught in NZ schools" says Professor Chapman. The strong opposition to including explicit and systematic phonics instruction over the past 20 years almost exactly coincides with NZ's steady decline in international studies of literacy achievement Professor Chapman says.

At what age do children start schooling in Aus?
My elder daughter started nursery at age 3.5. She was able to read simple sentences by age 4 and read and write well by age 6 (like all other children here do). Children are pushed pretty hard at an early age. I am worried about the Aus standard of education

Nina
Old Apr 28th 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou!
You're welcome!
Old Apr 28th 2003, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I would be interested to know where you are getting this fact from?!

I expect the results for England have risen dramatically over the last 7 years since the re-introduction of phonics and the literacy hour. Teachers have to stick to a very structured curriculum which focuses on explicit aspects of spelling/ reading etc. This has led to a rise in the reading ages of many children across the U.k.

Thankfully the 1970's days where you were lucky if they taught you any aspects of grammar or phonics are gone over here.

It is a shame that Australia wasn't included in the study; I wonder why?:lecture: :lecture:
Old Apr 28th 2003, 11:58 pm
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by tinaj

I would be interested to know where you are getting this fact from?!
Firstly, it sounds as if my understanding of the "phonics" system and your own may be different ? Not sure, just seemed to be the case from my interpretation of your post.

The statement about N.I. having the highest standard of education in the U.K. ( in terms of the academic performance of it's schools and students overall) has been consistently reported in numerous educational reports over the years. Please bear in mind - N.I. does not have Comprehensive education but rather the old Secondary Modern/Technical/Grammar school set-up complete with eleven plus exam.

The schools on the mainland which have been shown to consistently compare with the better N.I grammar schools in terms of academic performance are for the most part Independent schools.

I'll dig out some of the reports for you in a short while as I've just fallen in the door..

Last edited by lairdside; Apr 29th 2003 at 12:03 am.