Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big Brother in my company..

Big Brother in my company..

Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Big Brother in my company..

let's see if it's just me:

To make a long story short, a downstream department (actually, a control freak - chest-beater manager) in my company has instructed unilaterally to our suppliers to copy or forward all the emails related to "time or production matters". This includes not just the emails "in the loop" or collective by nature but to copy all the emails that myself or my department have sent and/or about to send at the point that even one-to-one emails have to be forwarded to that guy (same line management as me but different department).

Now I'm wondering until what point this instruction is touching the non-professional - non-ethical line and until what extend my emails are confidential, or the rights I have over my emails (in this case in particular).

two tips:
- My boss is aware but it may take ages (if) for him to take actions
- We are talking about a fairly known medium multinational (american) firm.

Any comments or advise would be appreciated.

Last edited by MAR001; Sep 6th 2012 at 10:45 am.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:54 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Brother in my company..

Originally Posted by MAR001
We are talking about a fairly known medium multinational (american) firm.
Now there's a surprise.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:45 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Now there's a surprise.
yep. no rights, regrettably, the practice that is usually accepted in the US companies, is that since the equipment, internet and the infrastructure in general is paid for by the business, including your time using it, anything that you create belongs to the company, end of. Personal use is typically permitted under "reasonable use" exclusion.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

depends on what your contract says. mine basically states the emails are the property of the company - and as they are sent with the company name and facalilities then why wouldnt they be?
have you asked the manager directly why this has been requested?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

I understand that the emails are property of the company, but does that mean that a random manager can create a department of intelligence in his office?

or, can I come and instruct a vendor (third party) to forward me all the communications from other employee of the company? Is that right?

Last edited by MAR001; Sep 6th 2012 at 8:55 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

... our suppliers to copy or forward all the emails ....
Is there any likelihood that these third party businesses will do as requested? Has any reimbursement been offered for the time and resources that this task will take?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Leave
Old Sep 7th 2012, 4:00 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Leave
+1
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Leave
Really? I couldn't give a stuff if a manager wanted to waste his time reading all my emails on "time and productivity".

Perhaps there has been some inappropriate communications and he is responsible and wants to try and get to the bottom of it / put a stop to it.

I assume he would get bored of it very quickly indeed anyway. I wouldn't sweat it to be honest. I have nothing to hide in my work related emails, I always assume that anything I write could be forwarded on to another person.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Really? I couldn't give a stuff if a manager wanted to waste his time reading all my emails on "time and productivity".

Perhaps there has been some inappropriate communications and he is responsible and wants to try and get to the bottom of it / put a stop to it.

I assume he would get bored of it very quickly indeed anyway. I wouldn't sweat it to be honest. I have nothing to hide in my work related emails, I always assume that anything I write could be forwarded on to another person.
Me too. I signed an "appropriate use of IT" agreement when I started my job. I just assumed from that that my email and use of the internet would be randomly monitored.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

And you shouldn't leave. But the OP should as it clearly bothers them.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

And you shouldn't leave. But the OP should as it clearly bothers them.
Mmm I guess so. But if they only want to work somewhere where there is a guarantee that their emails will never be forwarded then they could have a problem.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:51 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that the emails are property of the company, but does that mean that a random manager can create a department of intelligence in his office?
this is management question, not a legal one. If your boss won't fix it...
Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Play them at their own game, create more email traffic than you need to, deluge them with irrelevant junk!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Play them at their own game, create more email traffic than you need to, deluge them with irrelevant junk!
I've met this type before, they are not reading 90% of that anyway (like, when would they?). This is a classic sign of a paranoid micromanager, and if the OP finds it bothersome, then well, it won't work out for them.