Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BiG BRIT SUBURBS BRISBANE?Where are they

BiG BRIT SUBURBS BRISBANE?Where are they

Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Default BiG BRIT SUBURBS BRISBANE?Where are they

Here in Adelaide there are some suburbs that have larger proportions of brits.They call them little britain

Are there any in Brissie too and which ones??
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BiG BRIT SUBURBS BRISBANE?Where are they

Why???????
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by ellie10990
Here in Adelaide there are some suburbs that have larger proportions of brits.They call them little britain

Are there any in Brissie too and which ones??
North Lakes has been given this reputation, but i am a local Plumber in the area and given the size and ratio of NL i would say its as pommified as everywhere else.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keenymeeny
Why???????
Because she wants to know Whatever the reason, does it matter?

OP, from what I've read on here (don't live around there so don't know for sure) North Lakes, north of Brissie seems to have a percentage of Brits. Also Bayside has it's fair share but no idea about percentages. I guess Brits are everywhere in some way shape or form Obviously BE isn't a true indication, thousands more Brits live in Aus than post on BE so for more valid data you'd have to find the Census information.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Because she wants to know Whatever the reason, does it matter?

OP, from what I've read on here (don't live around there so don't know for sure) North Lakes, north of Brissie seems to have a percentage of Brits. Also Bayside has it's fair share but no idea about percentages. I guess Brits are everywhere in some way shape or form Obviously BE isn't a true indication, thousands more Brits live in Aus than post on BE so for more valid data you'd have to find the Census information.
Because it helps to provide the enquirer with more accurate information if you know more detail about their question.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ellie10990
I'm out in the Hills and I don't get into the burbs in Adelaide too often, so go on give us your Adelaide Brit-list...
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keenymeeny
Because it helps to provide the enquirer with more accurate information if you know more detail about their question.
Nice answer
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

The Redlands, not strictly Brisbane, attracts lots of Brits. Mainly because it is by the water and housing is still at reasonable prices.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Kenmore (southwest) and I've noticed a substantial increase in Brit accents at Indooroopilly Shopping Mall and around the locality in the past few months.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I live in Kenmore (southwest) and I've noticed a substantial increase in Brit accents at Indooroopilly Shopping Mall and around the locality in the past few months.
If you go into www.ourbrisbane.com you will find statistical info that will tell you which suburbs have a high proportion of non-Aussies, though it doesn't break it down further.
http://svc189.bne146v.server-web.com...n_composition/

If you follow the links from that page the Stats office may have more.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

graniteman will become famous soon enough

http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABS...rumb=L&topic=&

above is a link to the Census Area search page.

you need a street name and suburb.

give a total break down of stats, very usefull for figuring out an areas demographics.

eg Postcode 4019 which is Margate (Redcliffe) has the following

COUNTRY OF BIRTH Area National
Australia 13,519 74.8% 14,072,944 70.9%
England 1,096 6.1% 856,939 4.3%
New Zealand 883 4.9% 389,463 2.0%
Scotland 181 1.0% 130,204 0.7%
Germany 101 0.6% 106,525 0.5%
Netherlands 87 0.5% 78,928 0.4%

so postcode 4019 has a 6.1% English population compared to 4.3% for the whole of Oz

12 days to go and I'm on the plane, WOOOOHOO

cheers
Andy2
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:38 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattmc
The Redlands, not strictly Brisbane, attracts lots of Brits. Mainly because it is by the water and housing is still at reasonable prices.
I wish. Our housing costs are more expensive than many parts of Brisbane thanks to the proximity to water and the fact we've always been on, at worse, level 2 water restrictions rather than Brisbane's level 6.

However, in relation to pommie migrants here, yes there are some but its certainly not "little Britain". I think if you want to be in a pommie relatively free area you had better get used to the idea of living in the Outback or Whoop Whoop.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graniteman
http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABS...rumb=L&topic=&

above is a link to the Census Area search page.

you need a street name and suburb.

give a total break down of stats, very usefull for figuring out an areas demographics.

eg Postcode 4019 which is Margate (Redcliffe) has the following

COUNTRY OF BIRTH Area National
Australia 13,519 74.8% 14,072,944 70.9%
England 1,096 6.1% 856,939 4.3%
New Zealand 883 4.9% 389,463 2.0%
Scotland 181 1.0% 130,204 0.7%
Germany 101 0.6% 106,525 0.5%
Netherlands 87 0.5% 78,928 0.4%

so postcode 4019 has a 6.1% English population compared to 4.3% for the whole of Oz

12 days to go and I'm on the plane, WOOOOHOO

cheers
Andy2
Thats an interesting one as its not one of the suburbs I would associate with Brits, and rarely gets mentioned on here.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:47 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats an interesting one as its not one of the suburbs I would associate with Brits, and rarely gets mentioned on here.
t'is bizarre!

Margate IMHO is largely populated by feral bogan Aussies (large housing commission estate)!!

If it's poms you're looking for - just lately Redcliffe (central) and Scarborough seem to have more than there fair share! Can't walk down the street or into my local without hearing some sort of high pitched whine!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:38 pm

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Sunnybank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.