Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Wikiposts

The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Old May 23rd 2005, 2:12 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Simone, you are going to make yourself ill if you don't move on. May be I am thicker skinned than you and others, but whatever has been said to whoever by whoever is now history. That is all I am saying. Move on. People get hurt for whatever reason. I have had bad things said to me, but after the initial stress, I shake my head, think ***** em, they don't know me and it is only words. Yesterday is history, today is your life and tomorrow never happens is all I am saying. Don't start calling me names please. This should all have moved on long ago. We are all grown ups, let's act it, all of us, please.
I wasn't calling anyone names. Sorry, I don't think you are pearshaped obviously!

If we are all grown ups, why is the thread in take it outside still going...
It was all over yesterday, I was over it. But it started up again(very unfortunetly).

I am going to try and move on, but it is strange when we nearly met Threelegs at a meetup once!
As I said, I think we'd all get on fine in real life, why can't we on a forum...

I'm just confused/trying to find answers.

And I do apologise for dragging this on, but obviously I can't just 'let go'. sorry I am trying, believe me!

Last edited by Simone; May 23rd 2005 at 2:18 am.
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:18 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Simone...go to bed!

I think it best to not perpetuate the problem by trying (unsuccessfully) to explain the point over and over to people who obviously don't care/don't understand/want to argue the point into the ground.

I love you Doll, and your a star for being so protective of our friends but keeping the argument alive isn't helping anyone.

I get it, you get it and the rest of the people that matter get it. We can show our support offline...where it really matters.

Hugs xxx

Siren
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Simone
I can understand that she doesn't want to post, while there are people out there thinking, and making nasty remarks.
This will most probably be my last comment on the subject, but surely you can see that although your friend is upset, it is quite ridiculous to expect everyone to agree with her / like her / etc.

People are entitled to their opinions, as you and Jill are. I have no problem with your attack on people over the last few days because clearly you are passionate about it.

BUT to post with the gist that until people stop disagreeing with you (and your group of friends), that effectively someone's feels their life is ruined, is frankly ridiculous. You maybe able to stop people "making nasty remarks", but there is no way in hell that you can ever stop people "thinking ... nasty remarks". Everyone is entitled to think exactly what they like, and I suspect nothing you say will change that.

If I were you, I would move on, ignore the people who don't agree with you, Jill and your friends and start to chill out a bit. Put the people you don't like (me included probably) on your ignore list and hey presto a happier life.

It really isnt sensible to fight a) other peoples battles and b) battles which can be ignored

At the end of the day we are all different people. Those who don't like the Banana diaries will never like them, no matter what you say.

Last edited by darkless; May 23rd 2005 at 4:01 am. Reason: typo
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:45 am
Merlot

Unhappy Re: The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Well I am amazed at this thread, go to work and then this!

Simone - you have not taken my apology for yourself or your mates you are defending, that is your choice.

I sincerely wished you had PM'd me with how you felt rather than go off like a fish wife, that would have been the better way as this thread has got more people divided from what I see.

I will continue to post what I like, I am not here to make friends as such, only to put what I feel, that is my choice.

As I said I have bigger things to worry about, my FIL in Australia for one who has just told us he does not have long to live - bowel cancer. We can't afford for my husband to fly back to see him. That is what I personally call stress and upset, this is just piddle, REAL piddle!

Merlot

Old May 23rd 2005, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Merlot
Well I am amazed at this thread, go to work and then this!

Simone - you have not taken my apology for yourself or your mates you are defending, that is your choice.

I sincerely wished you had PM'd me with how you felt rather than go off like a fish wife, that would have been the better way as this thread has got more people divided from what I see.

I will continue to post what I like, I am not here to make friends as such, only to put what I feel, that is my choice.

As I said I have bigger things to worry about, my FIL in Australia for one who has just told us he does not have long to live - bowel cancer. We can't afford for my husband to fly back to see him. That is what I personally call stress and upset, this is just piddle, REAL piddle!

Merlot

I am so sorry to hear that. Cancer is an evil disease! I know how you and your hubbie are feeling as my Dad dies of lung cancer 18 months ago. You never know though, many make it into remmision. My thoughts are with you.

You are so right, some of the petty 'I am so upset' comments are ridiculous wen compared to real life problems, stress and traumas!!

It can hit anyone, take Kylie as an example! We were due to see he last concert in Perth, but I am gutted for her that she has to face this at such a young age.

We have decided to have a Kylie night at our house on the night of the concert we should have gone to. We have friends coming round. We will put the Kylie Greatest Hits DVD on the big projector screen. The idea is to bring something with you (food/drink/etc) and everyone will pay a minimum of $5 which will then be sent off to a breast cancer charity. Currently I have only mentioned this to friends I have met, but if anyone from Northern 'burbs area wants to come alone then let me know...

Obviously following my recently advise, I shalnt be giving out times, addressees, numbers, etc on the public forum, BUT FEEL FREE TO PM ME. The concert was due to take place one weeknight in early/mid June
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:04 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkless
We have decided to have a Kylie night at our house on the night of the concert we should have gone to. We have friends coming round. We will put the Kylie Greatest Hits DVD on the big projector screen. The idea is to bring something with you (food/drink/etc) and everyone will pay a minimum of $5 which will then be sent off to a breast cancer charity.

what a fab idea!!!

good on ya!!
(thats the second time ive posted 'good on ya' today....... )

hope you all have a fab boogie....kylie always gets me dancing!

sue
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:16 am
Merlot

I am so sorry to hear that. Cancer is an evil disease! I know how you and your hubbie are feeling as my Dad dies of lung cancer 18 months ago. You never know though, many make it into remmision. My thoughts are with you.

You are so right, some of the petty 'I am so upset' comments are ridiculous wen compared to real life problems, stress and traumas!!

It can hit anyone, take Kylie as an example! We were due to see he last concert in Perth, but I am gutted for her that she has to face this at such a young age.

We have decided to have a Kylie night at our house on the night of the concert we should have gone to. We have friends coming round. We will put the Kylie Greatest Hits DVD on the big projector screen. The idea is to bring something with you (food/drink/etc) and everyone will pay a minimum of $5 which will then be sent off to a breast cancer charity. Currently I have only mentioned this to friends I have met, but if anyone from Northern 'burbs area wants to come alone then let me know...

Obviously following my recently advise, I shalnt be giving out times, addressees, numbers, etc on the public forum, BUT FEEL FREE TO PM ME. The concert was due to take place one weeknight in early/mid June
Thanks for the words of support, I feel so crap as my husband has always been within driving distance of his family then I bring him 12,000 miles and this happens, I feel his hurt and pain. I know that life goes on but it is tough.

His Dad is not forthcoming about how bad it is but we gather it is bad. He lives on the NSW South Coast (Sussex Inlet) and has had to do trips to Sydney (4 hours drive) for treatment. They removed a fair bit of his bowel but the outlook his grim. In saying that his Dad is up beat and repeats that he is 72 and had a good life. Just makes you feel useless.

Wonderful gesture about Kylie, darn good idea.

Thanks again for the support, I didn't post what was happening with my FIL in case people thought I was after the sympathy vote, just wanted to bring things back into perspective.

Merlot

Old May 23rd 2005, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
what a fab idea!!!

good on ya!!
(thats the second time ive posted 'good on ya' today....... )

hope you all have a fab boogie....kylie always gets me dancing!

sue

I forgot to mention I am told (by my wife and her friend) that everyone has to dress up as Kylie.

Personally I am going for the 80 jeans and T-shirt look. I am not sure that I can pull off the ribbon dress look
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:21 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention I am told (by my wife and her friend) that everyone has to dress up as Kylie.

Personally I am going for the 80 jeans and T-shirt look. I am not sure that I can pull off the ribbon dress look

ooooooh!!!!!!!
go on, ah go on....you know you want to!!!
there was a 'kylie' party somewhere in sheffield city centre a couple of weeks ago...about 8 big rugby-types (men!!) all in gold hotpants and blond wigs...i nearly fell outa my taxi when i saw em!!

i dare you......
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:23 am
Merlot

ooooooh!!!!!!!
about 8 big rugby-types (men!!) all in gold hotpants and blond wigs...

Just my type

M

Old May 23rd 2005, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the words of support, I feel so crap as my husband has always been within driving distance of his family then I bring him 12,000 miles and this happens, I feel his hurt and pain. I know that life goes on but it is tough.

His Dad is not forthcoming about how bad it is but we gather it is bad. He lives on the NSW South Coast (Sussex Inlet) and has had to do trips to Sydney (4 hours drive) for treatment. They removed a fair bit of his bowel but the outlook his grim. In saying that his Dad is up beat and repeats that he is 72 and had a good life. Just makes you feel useless.

Thanks again for the support, I didn't post what was happening with my FIL in case people thought I was after the sympathy vote, just wanted to bring things back into perspective.

Merlot
Tis interesting to see the distance problem highlighted in reverse - most people are leaving people at home in the UK!!

My Dad was 57, but was a heavy smoker!! If ever you need a reason to stop smoking watch someone die when they can't even gasp for their last breath!!! It still brings me to tears now!!

Granted 72 is not a bad innings, but that doesn't make it any easier. I hope that things go as well as they can for you and your family. I know what a horrible time you must be going though!!

No sympathy vote here, just understanding...

Dave

Last edited by darkless; May 23rd 2005 at 5:24 am. Reason: typos
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:24 am

Merlot

blimey, just makes you realise what you give up when yuou move away from family.
for what its worth...im a nurse and have worked in bowel cancer (if you get my drift)....and on a 72 year old they must feel he has a fairly good quality of life and a decent bit of time left to put him through further bowel surgery - it is hard on someone his age, but if there was any doubt about his abilities to recover they wouldnt have gone ahead.
sounds also like he has a good positive mental attitude...which will take you miles in my experience.

chin up lass, im sure many of us have our thoughts with you

sue x
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:27 am
Merlot

blimey, just makes you realise what you give up when yuou move away from family.
for what its worth...im a nurse and have worked in bowel cancer (if you get my drift)....and on a 72 year old they must feel he has a fairly good quality of life and a decent bit of time left to put him through further bowel surgery - it is hard on someone his age, but if there was any doubt about his abilities to recover they wouldnt have gone ahead.
sounds also like he has a good positive mental attitude...which will take you miles in my experience.

chin up lass, im sure many of us have our thoughts with you

sue x
Thanks Sue and Dave.

We think that him being a typical male (a stubborn Pom at that), he never responded to any early warning signs. Plus the old bugger still loves his chips, fry ups and choc . . . well I suppose it makes him happy, now his bowels a different story

Merlot

Old May 23rd 2005, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ooooooh!!!!!!!
go on, ah go on....you know you want to!!!
there was a 'kylie' party somewhere in sheffield city centre a couple of weeks ago...about 8 big rugby-types (men!!) all in gold hotpants and blond wigs...i nearly fell outa my taxi when i saw em!!

i dare you......

Haha, maybe - I will need to drink for a week in advance though!!!

Lived in Sheffield for 3 yrs (as a pesky student) and saw plenty of sights. If you have ever participated in Pyjama Jump, then it is unlikely that you will ever be shocked again - I'm not!!! Bring on the hotpants

Last edited by darkless; May 23rd 2005 at 5:31 am. Reason: another darn typo
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:33 am

Haha, maybe - I will need to drink for a week in advance though!!!

Lived in Sheffield for 3 yrs (as a pesky student) and saw plenty of sites. If you have ever participated in Pyjama Jump, then it is unlikely that you will ever be shocked again - I'm not!!! Bring on the hotpants

ah....the pyjama jump!!!!! *sue goes misty eyed*deep sigh*

shall have to scan some photos for ya!!

those were the days

did you hear they are going to start it up again.....as if sheffield doesnt have enough people puking in the streets on a friday night! You wouldnt recognise West Street if its been a few years since you were here - LOADS of pubs now....every other place is a pub! Lots of expensive bars that have the nerve to charge you a couple of quid to get in, especially the forum on devonshire street!

how long since you were in sheffield?

sue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.