Reload this Page >

The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Wikiposts

The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Old May 22nd 2005, 6:39 pm
Merlot

Default Re: The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Originally Posted by Simone
Merlot, I'm finding you to be a bit hypocritical, and I haddened expected this from you.

Yesterday you were making a lot of sarcastic references to the Perth girls out thread(s), and you might have seen it as a joke, but I didn't think so, I found it(all added up) offensive. And I'm not even speaking for others, for whom it seems it's 'pick on me' week and is now quiting the forum altogether partly because of your comments.

Your location was something like: 'not in bed with Perth ladies'

Then it;s:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...74#post2411574

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...18#post2411518

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...96#post2411496

And a few other references.

I don't need to defend myself, but once again, I will.

If 'we' wanted to show how popular etc etc(who gives a stuff? You obviously) we are, wouldn't we post about all our meetups?
In actual fact, we only make the occasional one public, so that new people to Perth can join 'us'. Like how we met up in the first place, via this forum.

Who said you have to go out to have a great life. You seem to be implying that we think that's the case. Many of us stay home quite often with a good book(or tv, or this forum) or whatever. I'm more at home than I am out. And that's the way I like it(with the occasional girls night out) And what do you care anyway.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...46#post2406846

This post confuses me: Do you think that just because we post on a public forum, it's ok to abuse people?
In that case: why don't you stop posting about drinking your wine, or meeting up at the northwest meet.
Or why don't we just stop posting altogether???!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for the 20th time(directed at several members, including you), I(I won't say 'we', because I don't you who exactly that is, but it definetly includes a few others), WEREN'T OFFENDED BY THE PARODIE (the potato peelers diary), IT WAS THE REMARKS MADE AFTER THAT, ABOUT PEOPLE BEING SAD IF THEY POST PERSONAL STUFF(AND IT WAS A BIT MORE NASTY THAN THAT).

Now, doesn't that count for all of us. EVERYONE IS POSTING PERSONAL STUFF ON HERE, some more than others.

Merlot, you have posted personal stuff, Threelegs has himself(with the baby for one), Moneypen has just posted about her house selling etc etc etc

Why does anyone care who posts what?(unless for concern of our safety, like Darkless)

If you don't like something(that's not offensive. If it is, report it), then don't read it. Don't go making snipey remarks in 3 different threads and your location.
You might think it's funny, but it has had some more serious consequences(not just your posts, but everyone's 'personal attacks' combined.

EDIT: btw, I wasn't going to post all this, because I don't want this argument to be brought up time and time again, but people are continuing with it(starting new threads...).
So yeah, I was just going to try and ignore it, but this morning I still felt angry and 'offended', and also others have emailed me and said they were totally quiting the forum.
For the first time in my 2 years on here, I also feel quite fed up with it all, but I'm not quitting, because I still have 'friends' on here, I like to help people on here, and I'm just too addicted.
Simone

I haven't read all of your post as I haven't got time.

I apologise if I offended, was not intended. Just highlights what the Forum can do. I have started to see both side of the story with diaries and posts. I was on Jill's side with her diary as she was peronally attacked, well if this is a bad thing well bugger it all.

I was only teasing as all the threads I read first thing Sunday were about a night out. As you can see I ended each one with a smiley.

Never mind, just highlights how crap this has all become.

To be honest I have bigger things to concern myself with.

Merlot

Old May 22nd 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I wonder how many people have been scared off of meeting up with fellow forumites? Not all down to you, but somehow the fun has gone out of this place after the last week
What a ridiculous accusation!!

I have advised people not to share personal information in COMBINATION with publically arranging meet-ups. I cannot see how that will possibly put people off meeting up. It will (hopefully) assist in making people more aware that BE is not some happy clappy 100% guarenteed safe environment, and that it is a PUBLIC website with unknown people on it, hence it is wise to take a little bit of care.

If that is your idea of removing the fun, then sobeit!
Old May 22nd 2005, 6:43 pm
Merlot

Even this bloody thread has desended into crap.

What is wrong with everyone today????

No wonder Mike Stanton bogged off.

M

Old May 22nd 2005, 6:45 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Please Please Please can we all make up and be friends again. There seems to be a lot of feelings put out and tempers flared over the past week.

This all seems to have started from a thread that got out of hand and has now divided the forum.

Can we all just forget this happened and go back to normal?

Here's Hoping

Louise
Old May 22nd 2005, 6:48 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, this whole business has caused a bit more devestation than what you see on here.
I doubt that people are going to be able to adopt the "Let's forgive and forget" attitude.

Siren

Very disappointed
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:45 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Simone

I haven't read all of your post as I haven't got time.

I apologise if I offended, was not intended. Just highlights what the Forum can do. I have started to see both side of the story with diaries and posts. I was on Jill's side with her diary as she was peronally attacked, well if this is a bad thing well bugger it all.

I was only teasing as all the threads I read first thing Sunday were about a night out. As you can see I ended each one with a smiley.

Never mind, just highlights how crap this has all become.

To be honest I have bigger things to concern myself with.

Merlot
I realise you may have been teasing, but with everything else that has happened, I personally would call it 'stirring'. And if you've got better things to do than hurt people's feelings, why do it in the first place?

And what Christina says, some people aren't going to forgive and forget so easily(not just because of you, but because of the whole buildup of everything)

Darkless and Pollyana: I think you're just misunderstanding each other....
Darkless, as Pollyana says, it's not all down to you. I think that the timing of your thread was just a bit unfortunate, what with everything this week. But that's not your fault.

Old May 22nd 2005, 8:43 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by hevs
I agree, they are boring if you're not attending. Thats why i don't read a thread entitled "Brisbane girlie drinks" Quite simple really

Dates and times have to be put up here otherwise where would everyone know where to go

However i do agree with not broadcasting the fact that you are going away/ alone etc. Also i really feel uncomfortable when people post pictures of their kids in full view, ie pictures that could be fiddled with, it creeps me out a bit. But everyone is different i guess, some people are even paranoid if you know their name :scared: Each to their own

I wish I could go on one of your meets Hevs.

Oh well. Think of me when you have one.

I could always do a story about it, even if Im not there

Old May 22nd 2005, 10:19 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I wish I could go on one of your meets Hevs.

Oh well. Think of me when you have one.
You would be more than welcome hun (even though i wasn't on the list of 15 )
Old May 22nd 2005, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Civic update on "Take it Outside"...

Three Legs
Old May 22nd 2005, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

some people aren't going to forgive and forget so easily(not just because of you, but because of the whole buildup of everything)
I assume you are referring to Jill Bananas. I thought she had forgiven three legs unreservedly? So I don't see the problem - sorry maybe I am missing something.

Darkless and Pollyana: I think you're just misunderstanding each other....
Darkless, as Pollyana says, it's not all down to you. I think that the timing of your thread was just a bit unfortunate, what with everything this week. But that's not your fault.
Whats "not all down to me"? All I did was post common sense advice at staying safe when sharing your life in Cyber Space!! Whether people choose to read it, take it on-board etc, that is up to them.

I am certainly at a loss to how I am being 'partly' blamed for the alleged downfall of the forum!?!??!
Old May 22nd 2005, 11:31 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkless
I assume you are referring to Jill Bananas. I thought she had forgiven three legs unreservedly? So I don't see the problem - sorry maybe I am missing something.

Whats "not all down to me"? All I did was post common sense advice at staying safe when sharing your life in Cyber Space!! Whether people choose to read it, take it on-board etc, that is up to them.

I am certainly at a loss to how I am being 'partly' blamed for the alleged downfall of the forum!?!??!
I'm not blaming you at all.

Yes, Jill. First of all, we're now not so sure Threelegs was genuinely apologising(he seems to think we were offended by the original 'diary parodie' post, which we were not. It was mainly a later nastier post. So if he doesn't realise that, I'm not sure what he has apologised for...). Secondly, it was not only Threelegs who 'got personal' about the diaries.
A few others also seem to think this is not the place for them and made personal comments against Jill, and now the total atmosphere is wrecked. And then there's Merlot's comments, which might have been teasing, but with everything else, people have been offended.

All these things as seperate 'incidents' wouldn't be so bad. Everything added up, it's just a big mess. And it's the 'newbies' who are going to miss out.

Old May 22nd 2005, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

A few others also seem to think this is not the place for them and made personal comments against Jill, and now the total atmosphere is wrecked
Well, seeing as I was the first to respond to three legs original post about what type threads we don't like, and happened to mention the potatoe (sic) peeler diary' type of threads twice, I assume I'm included in the above.

But I didn't say anything personal about Jill, just the style of thread, and blogging on a forum in general. As that turns out we got a result with them preparing a blogging section on the forum.

Anyway, I often get tired of this forum, it gets quite sickening and cliquey, and people can gang up on others for no good reason etc. So sometimes its quite refreshing to give it a break for a week or two, and then decide if its something you want to come back to.

I don't think it requires dramatic statements about never coming back, just people take a break for a while, see how it feels. See if the fun and interest outweighs the annoyance and abuse that sometimes happens.

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:03 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this forum has gone mental. Shame really!

In the beginning I thought the idea of a different forum for meet up was a good idea. But I have noticed lately that a lot of people could miss out on meets.
If u use the forum a lot you tend to get well known. Then by reading threads find that u have attended other meets and have feedback about u that tells them your not a nutter and you have more chance of getting more people to the meets.
That’s why I like to read about what happened after other meets in other states.
I think that buy now most people see or read me as a clown, who just likes a laugh but im not like that all of the time. I don’t spend my life spouting one-liners.
If the threads are titled properly then I don’t see a prob having them on the forum. If u don’t want to know about it , then don’t read it. Giving out personal stuff on the forum its different though, Unless u can handle any flack that comes your way.
While arranging a meet in Sydney I gave out my mobile number. It might be daft for most but I can handle any flack I get, so it wasn’t a hassle for me.
This idea about having separate areas for meet ups blogs and websites is a bit mad. I always thought this was a forum for fun and banter, it’s the way I see it. I may be wrong but that’s what I use it for. Now and again I get the chance to answer someone who needs a wee bit of help. That makes it all worthwhile.
If I wanted a forum that was serious about immigration I would have used this http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115639
As usual I have started to rabble and talk pish so ill bow out gracefully before I make an arse of myself. Now keep calm peeps and enjoy a free forum.
Ps im not taking sides. But im right !!!!! as usual
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear you brother...

I feel the pain too...

Three Legs

Feel the amen
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well, seeing as I was the first to respond to three legs original post about what type threads we don't like, and happened to mention the potatoe (sic) peeler diary' type of threads twice, I assume I'm included in the above.

But I didn't say anything personal about Jill, just the style of thread, and blogging on a forum in general. As that turns out we got a result with them preparing a blogging section on the forum.

Anyway, I often get tired of this forum, it gets quite sickening and cliquey, and people can gang up on others for no good reason etc. So sometimes its quite refreshing to give it a break for a week or two, and then decide if its something you want to come back to.

I don't think it requires dramatic statements about never coming back, just people take a break for a while, see how it feels. See if the fun and interest outweighs the annoyance and abuse that sometimes happens.

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:18 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

We've added a calendar so meet-ups can be seen at a glance. This in no way replaces people posting meet-up details in the forum, the calendar is just another tool to compliment the forum.

We encourage people to continue posting meet-ups in the forum (and then add them to the calendar)....after all that's one of the reasons we are here; to connect with other expats abroad or to chat with others who are looking to emigrate.

On another note, the blogging section was something we decided to add a while ago, it has no bearing on recent events in the forum.

Sue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.