Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware of the unmarked cop cars in Redlands

Beware of the unmarked cop cars in Redlands

Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:05 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about
Default Beware of the unmarked cop cars in Redlands

I've just got fined $250 with 4 points for travelling at 80kph on a deserted road where the limit is 60kph. I wasn't caught by the normal police van hidden behind a bush. An unmarked police car travelling towards me suddenly switched on the flashing lights, did a U-turn, and pulled me over to deliver the bad news.

My friend was also caught this way last week.

I travelled home on the same road last night and stuck to the painfully slow 60kph limit. Within minutes I had the normal red neck ute drivers almost touching my bumper behind me and hooting to get past.

Such is life.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware of the unmarked cop cars in Redlands

Originally Posted by mjj
An unmarked police car travelling towards me suddenly switched on the flashing lights, did a U-turn, and pulled me over to deliver the bad news.
Bad luck mate - speaking from somebody that got done recently when I missed one bl**dy electronic change in speed limit sign after taking a wrong turn.

However, you have not been nicked for speeding by a moving police car (marked or not) coming towards you. There must have been a speed trap further back up the road that has radioed through your speed. The police don't have any way of measuring speed between two cars that are approaching in opposite directions.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

However, you have not been nicked for speeding by a moving police car (marked or not) coming towards you. There must have been a speed trap further back up the road that has radioed through your speed. The police don't have any way of measuring speed between two cars that are approaching in opposite directions.[/QUOTE]

You are talking out your arse mate. Radar in police vehicles will pick up the speed of the approaching vehicle and calculate its speed by deducting the speed of the police vehicle. How do I know this, well I fit and certify the police Radars as part of my job.

If a Radar is fitted and turned on and the Police Vehicle is in sight of your vehicle, then he has already got your speed so by the time you start to brake hard, its way too late.

This is not new technology, it has been used for the past 15 years. I am sure there are a lot of people out there that can back me up on that. They would only have to show you the stubs in the cheque book as proof. There are more unmarked cars out there than there are marked cars so the odds of getting caught are very good.

Try going the speed limit and you wont have to pay another "voluntary" Tax, not to mention the points off the licence.

Barney

Last edited by POW148; Mar 8th 2008 at 5:25 am.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
However, you have not been nicked for speeding by a moving police car (marked or not) coming towards you. There must have been a speed trap further back up the road that has radioed through your speed. The police don't have any way of measuring speed between two cars that are approaching in opposite directions.

You are talking out your arse mate. Radar in police vehicles will pick up the speed of the approaching vehicle and calculate its speed by deducting the speed of the police vehicle. How do I know this, well I fit and certify the police Radars as part of my job.

If a Radar is fitted and turned on and the Police Vehicle is in sight of your vehicle, then he has already got your speed so by the time you start to brake hard, its way too late.

This is not new technology, it has been used for the past 15 years. I am sure there are a lot of people out there that can back me up on that. They would only have to show you the stubs in the cheque book as proof. There are more unmarked cars out there than there are marked cars so the odds of getting caught are very good.

Try going the speed limit and you wont have to pay another "voluntary" Tax, not to mention the points off the licence.

Barney[/QUOTE]

Well I stand corrected. But Google'ing appears to highlight only the problems with moving radar which I can quite agree on.

For the driver above, he knew it was a 60 kph zone, for me, I missed one electronic sign switched on for no reason - the same as the Lane Cove Tunnel refund recently.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not getting into the wrongs of speeding - someone else will be along shortly to cover that but speeding along a deserted road after dark sounds like a recipe for disaster - roos love deserted dark roads
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger

The police don't have any way of measuring speed between two cars that are approaching in opposite directions.
I think you will find your wrong there.
Easily done its called "Doppler" it was discovered many years ago.
No way of getting out of it.
Something to remember in most cases its not speed that kills its the sudden stop
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:35 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Mt cotton Road ? Appears to be the fav for the unmarked cars.

Was it the grey/silver one ?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:37 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by datamile
Mt cotton Road ? Appears to be the fav for the unmarked cars.

Was it the grey/silver one ?
Avalon Road....very close to Mt Cotton Road. I think it was a black car. They seem to be out in force at the moment.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:02 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

yup, think they loop around those roads. I go down alperton rd which is the next one. 60kmh, but rare to see another car, and everyone does 80. Easy money for them
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:02 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder who tests the WA POLICE equipment ,we are having a few issuses in SA........

Moves on secret speed limits ‘a money grab’

Moves on secret speed limits ‘a money grab’
By Bryan Littlely
July 09, 2007

THE South Australia police department’s own speed detection adviser is warning motorists will be unfairly fined due to tougher margins.

Speed measurement expert Les Felix, who trains South Australian police in the use of detection equipment, has branded moves to cut the secret speed limit tolerance margin as “a money-grab off innocent people”.

Arguing that police should increase the official margin of error given to motorists before tickets were issued, Mr Felix said car speedometers were not accurate enough to show precise speeds.

He warned motorists would have to drive at least 5km/h below the speed limit to ensure they avoided a speeding fine - because there was no way the average person could know the true speed of their car. Motorists believing they were driving at 60km/h could be travelling at up to 68km/h.

Police Commissioner Mal Hyde last week indicated the official margin, given as a benefit-of-the doubt to motorists only a few kilometres over the speed limit, would be reduced.

Mr Felix predicted the new tolerance level might be 5km/h in a 60km/h zone. He insisted, however, that motorists should not be fined unless they were at least 8km/h over the limit. “The bloke in the street has no chance with these tolerances,” he said.

“They have no way of knowing the true speed of their vehicle. There should be a tolerance level of at least 8km/h in a 60km/h speed zone.

“Even with their current policy on tolerances, e mathematics involved would have thrown this out.”

Mr Felix is the state co-ordinator for the Metrology Society of Australia, whose members are involved in the science and practice of measurement. He calibrates speed detection equipment for SA, NSW, Victorian and Queensland police.

Police Minister Paul Holloway refused to comment on Mr Felix’s views on the grounds the issue was a police operational matter.

(
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

slightly off topic.

Is is true the police can follow you, shoot a ray into the rear window of your car, to your mirror,which will reflect a perfect video of you using a mobile phone?

3 days ago, i picked up 3 points and a £60 but i contested that if it were to go to court, that it would be my word against his. a friend then said to be carefull because they have such technology to record your mirror,

is this true? ive allready decided to cop the points now, not worth arguing with police
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

60 KPH limits on country roads. What a farce, must be the slowest speed limits in the world. Don't know about un-marked cars; but the marked cars have a device hanging out the side rear window area - which is probably something to do with measuring oncoming speeds. Saw this happen today following a cop car.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:25 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrRivaz
slightly off topic.

Is is true the police can follow you, shoot a ray into the rear window of your car, to your mirror,which will reflect a perfect video of you using a mobile phone?

3 days ago, i picked up 3 points and a £60 but i contested that if it were to go to court, that it would be my word against his. a friend then said to be carefull because they have such technology to record your mirror,

is this true? ive allready decided to cop the points now, not worth arguing with police
I doubt it very much!!! Think your mate might have been pulling your leg!

What kind of a ray are we talking? Some superman or spiderman styleee job??
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrRivaz
slightly off topic.

No such beast. There are some cars out there fitted with a camera system. This will video record someone using a mobile phone. The camera records constantly but drops the images after 30 seconds. If the lights and sirens are activated, the system will keep the 30 seconds worth of images and then constant record thereafter until the system is turned off.

As for your word against a Police Officers word, the courts are more inclined to believe the Police Officer over you.

The price of a hands free kit is far less than the fine for using a mobile phone whilst driving.

Barney
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:43 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tazkenny
60 KPH limits on country roads. What a farce, must be the slowest speed limits in the world. Don't know about un-marked cars; but the marked cars have a device hanging out the side rear window area - which is probably something to do with measuring oncoming speeds. Saw this happen today following a cop car.
60 k speed limits on country roads due to the fact that there are houses in the vicinity...this particular road is a pretty well known rat run and the residents in the area complained..so the speed limit is 60k's all the way along.

The OP isn't the first to be booked along it and wont be the last...