British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Beware with Singapore Airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/beware-singapore-airlines-369660/)

rossifumi Apr 25th 2006 12:24 pm

Re: Beware with Singapore Airlines

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Hi did you have anything in writing, as due to our house sale or should I say lack of it !!! we may have to validate first, would be grateful of the reply, still can't decide whether to go via Singapore or the USA, If Lacey is out there can you tell me who you booked with, I think I remember reading you are going via Florida. Cheers.
By the way good luck getting your money back to the OP do not give up.

Yes, always get it in writing and like us you should have no dramas.

Tuxtrip Apr 25th 2006 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi
We believe in the power of the word of mouth and when our time comes we will not travel with Singapore airline
so thanks for telling us your experience

Billy & Vicki

Sometimes 'word of mouth' can be an injustice.
Singapore Airlines, in my opinion, is the best airline in the world - second to none when it comes to onboard service and inflight entertainment, brilliant with children and white-knuckle flyers. We are QANTAS Club life members, giving us first class benefits, lounges etc, and we fly with Singapore Airlines! Same price but worlds apart when it comes to everything else. Don't discount Singapore Airlines, just take onboard the advice about the excess luggage, which applies on all airlines.

hedgehog Apr 25th 2006 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Singapore Airlines, in my opinion, is the best airline in the world - second to none when it comes to onboard service and inflight entertainment, brilliant with children and white-knuckle flyers. We are QANTAS Club life members, giving us first class benefits, lounges etc, and we fly with Singapore Airlines! Same price but worlds apart when it comes to everything else. Don't discount Singapore Airlines, just take onboard the advice about the excess luggage, which applies on all airlines.

Thanks for that, great comments

wengerboy Apr 25th 2006 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ken.rooney
Hi all i am now in Perth and just thought i would warn people flying withSingapore Airlines. I Flew out to emigrate and have a PR visa that was to be validated for the first time. I checked with the agent when booking the flight am i entitled to 40kg, they said yes if your emigrating first time over there.

I checked in at Manchester Airport and true to form was allowed 40kg, it was actually 42kg but they were ok no problems.

After a 3 day stopover in Singapore i checked in at Singapore Airport, guess what? They said i was only allowed 30kg, they then hit me with a bill for $300+ dollars over £100. I asked to see the manger he said it was 30kg and would not swerve on it, after loads of hassle and raised blood pressure i had to pay the extra or not fly. I am in the process of trying to get my money back but i am not confident. In the mean time i am on a 1 man mission to warn as many people to get it in writing from them before you fly.

There are many post on here about it but the bottom line is the guy at Singapore told me if you would have had it in writing you would have been ok.

I will keep you all informed of what happens but before you book guys get it in writing or beware booking with Singapore if you dont want a big excess baggage bill.

PS im loving perth so far! :p

We flew last year and had a 1 night stopover in Singapore,because it was only the 1 night we had to take all our luggage to the hotel with us.
had we stopped 2 nights the luggage would have been on the connecting flight and waiting for us when we got there so well worth mentioning.

we then encountered the same problem you did checking the bags back in and the only solution we came up with was to take 3 smaller suitcases to the plane and check them in the hold, was the easiest way out at the time until the bags go through x ray machines and each of em have scissors at the bottom. :mad:

232Bar Apr 29th 2006 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi
We believe in the power of the word of mouth and when our time comes we will not travel with Singapore airline
so thanks for telling us your experience

Billy & Vicki

I'd still fly with them again. The people on check-in obviously have a guideline and most of us doing stopovers are outside of these guidelines. It as a minor hiccup for us in what was still one of the best airlines (in fact I'd say the best) we've flown with. Just be sure you have your 'migration flight allowance' confirmed, and I'm sure the same goes for all airlines. Even coming out on the visa validation (using Emirates for this one) we had 30kg each for teh 3 of us as we claimed 10kg for diving gear, I made sure I had this in writing from Emirates.

thebears Apr 29th 2006 9:30 pm

If you are flying right through to Australia, without a stopover, then the 40kg will apply all the way. By having a stopover, you are exiting through customs and then re-entering, re-checking luggage, etc. I think this is where your problems arise.

Confirmed with all of the main UK Australia via asia carriers - as long as you check right through the additional weight allowance is given.

Suggest you write a long letter to Singapore airlines - the guy should of used some discretion and looked for other evidence ie one way ticket or revealing questions. As they must be picking up a lot of business from us you should mention the forum and how bad it makes them look.

Personally I would of choosen to hold up the queue and put the pressure back on the clerk.

OriginalSunshine Apr 30th 2006 1:09 am

hmmm... not my favourite airline at the moment - they prevented me from breastfeeding my infant boy (3 months) by telling me before I started that I was not allowed to. thank god it was only a 2.5hour flight rather than a long haul! My son was screaming in hunger and I was in major discomfort! :mad:
I've written a letter of complaint to them, but have not had any reply back yet.

Ialibu Apr 30th 2006 5:19 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
hmmm... not my favourite airline at the moment - they prevented me from breastfeeding my infant boy (3 months) by telling me before I started that I was not allowed to. thank god it was only a 2.5hour flight rather than a long haul! My son was screaming in hunger and I was in major discomfort! :mad:
I've written a letter of complaint to them, but have not had any reply back yet.

Next time just smile nicely to the check-in clerk and once on board and underway, flash the boob and start feeding. What can they do?

Ialibu Apr 30th 2006 5:29 am

Originally Posted by cj23
Thanks for the warning. We have just booked with Singapore airlines to fly on 12th May stopping over in Singapore for 4 nights then on to Perth. We phoned up to request the allowance and the guy in London said you are alllowed 40kg even if you stop over. We asked for an email to confirm this but he wouldn't send us one - said it was not necessary.
Now you've got me worried.

Cath

Phone again, go through the whole conversation again then get their details and tell them you are going to email them for confirmation as several people you know have been caught in Singapore during stopovers.

Then send him an email and confirm the telephone conversation with names, titles, offices etc., dates and times of said conversation.

If he emails back, there is the proof. If he doesn't you still have proof and if they don't like it in Singapore, tell them to ring this fellow (on the email) now and confirm it.

either way, print off these emails and keep them with your travel docs

urbanproject Apr 30th 2006 7:04 am

Hi all i am now in Perth and just thought i would warn people flying withSingapore Airlines. I Flew out to emigrate and have a PR visa that was to be validated for the first time. I checked with the agent when booking the flight am i entitled to 40kg, they said yes if your emigrating first time over there.

I checked in at Manchester Airport and true to form was allowed 40kg, it was actually 42kg but they were ok no problems.

After a 3 day stopover in Singapore i checked in at Singapore Airport, guess what? They said i was only allowed 30kg, they then hit me with a bill for $300+ dollars over £100. I asked to see the manger he said it was 30kg and would not swerve on it, after loads of hassle and raised blood pressure i had to pay the extra or not fly. I am in the process of trying to get my money back but i am not confident. In the mean time i am on a 1 man mission to warn as many people to get it in writing from them before you fly.

There are many post on here about it but the bottom line is the guy at Singapore told me if you would have had it in writing you would have been ok.

I will keep you all informed of what happens but before you book guys get it in writing or beware booking with Singapore if you dont want a big excess baggage bill.

Hi,

Almost similar story here but happened at Heathrow airport. The people at check in were not Singapore Airlines but some subsidiairy company, would not let me check in with 40kgs even if I had an unused PR visa for NZ and tell me it's 30kgs despite phone/emails with the airline confirming the extra allowance. I had to ship some stuff with Excess Baggage from Heathrow, amount was around £150 by air, cheaper than excess baggage though.

On arrival at Singapore airport, no problems, they let me check in and advise me to send a letter to their Customer Services Manager regarding the issue. 6 weeks after arriving in NZ and after writing and sending Excess Baggage bill, they sent me a cheque covering all expenses for the shipping, apologising saying it was the subsidiary airline's fault and have followed things up with them.

Try sending them a letter and see what they say, I should be able to dig up the address to send the letter and copies of invoices if you like. It's worth a try ;)

Jen :)

happymum Apr 30th 2006 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine

That's absolutely disgusting. I will still be flying with them, and if they tell me not to, I'll just be smiling sweetly and doing it anyway. Best way to prevent ear pain and induce sleep, so what the hell are they on about? :mad:

Andrew Cross Apr 30th 2006 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hi,

Almost similar story here but happened at Heathrow airport. The people at check in were not Singapore Airlines but some subsidiairy company, would not let me check in with 40kgs even if I had an unused PR visa for NZ and tell me it's 30kgs despite phone/emails with the airline confirming the extra allowance. I had to ship some stuff with Excess Baggage from Heathrow, amount was around £150 by air, cheaper than excess baggage though.

On arrival at Singapore airport, no problems, they let me check in and advise me to send a letter to their Customer Services Manager regarding the issue. 6 weeks after arriving in NZ and after writing and sending Excess Baggage bill, they sent me a cheque covering all expenses for the shipping, apologising saying it was the subsidiary airline's fault and have followed things up with them.

Try sending them a letter and see what they say, I should be able to dig up the address to send the letter and copies of invoices if you like. It's worth a try ;)

Jen :)

Hiya, the company that check in Singapore Airlines at Heathrow are called Aviance. The staff they employ are not told of any allowances because they have to get the go ahead from one of the Singapore reps who are around during the flight. If anyone has a problem at Heathrow ask to speak to one of them, they are all very nice and will usually give you a 30 -40 kg allowance for emigrating. If you stop off in Singapore and break up your flight then you then again have to speak to them and agree the weight allowance sseparately- it does not flow onto the next sector. If you can get a letter or an email in writing it really does save alot of confusion. Best of Luck with your travels....

killamarsh Apr 30th 2006 9:09 pm

[QUOTE=Tuxtrip]Sometimes 'word of mouth' can be an injustice.

I have to concur with this comment about SIA. Singapore Airlines is an excellent airline. I suspectthiscouldhavehappenedonanyairline. I would follow others advise on here and ask for confirmation of the additional allowance in writing. It is a shame that this experience has soured your view of the airline, but I don't blame you for the anger you feel.

mumomonty Apr 30th 2006 9:29 pm

Had similar costly experience with Singapore Airlines once . $800 ouch!

renth May 1st 2006 12:13 am

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hi,

Almost similar story here but happened at Heathrow airport. The people at check in were not Singapore Airlines but some subsidiairy company, would not let me check in with 40kgs even if I had an unused PR visa for NZ and tell me it's 30kgs despite phone/emails with the airline confirming the extra allowance.

One of the reasons I wouldn't fly Singapore again is the check in at Heathrow is so crap. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to get to the front of the queue despite arriving about 4 hours before takeoff.

Then get on the roapy old 747 and find that the Mrs. seat back screen isn't working (as well as quite a few others).

Give me Emirates (out of Gatwick) every time.