Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware the imminent housing bubble

Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware the imminent housing bubble

Originally Posted by gere
http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/b...-1226004673183

The Next Bubble Coming From Down Under
http://www.fool.com/investing/intern...own-under.aspx

One Last Giant Property Bubble
http://www.fool.com/investing/intern...ty-bubble.aspx
questions /thoughts

1 - Courier Mail -- why MACBETH?..... Surely Hamlet would have been a much better choice for a "bloody" reference?
2. love the (now seemingly normal) assumption that all ecconomies are the same as the US and so should therefore be compared to it.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Number 3 lost all credibility at this point:

To put housing prices into some perspective, the average Sydney house sells for around A$600,000. The average Australian wage is around A$65,000. As far as affordability goes, it's about as bad as it gets

Why not compare Sydney prices to Sydney wages....or Australian prices to Australian wages? I stopped reading at that bit...and I'm a believer in the bubble.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Number 3 lost all credibility at this point:

To put housing prices into some perspective, the average Sydney house sells for around A$600,000. The average Australian wage is around A$65,000. As far as affordability goes, it's about as bad as it gets

Why not compare Sydney prices to Sydney wages....or Australian prices to Australian wages? I stopped reading at that bit...and I'm a believer in the bubble.
And why should the average salary be compared to average house price implying that if you earn the average salary and have no equity you still should be able to afford the average house?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
And why should the average salary be compared to average house price implying that if you earn the average salary and have no equity you still should be able to afford the average house?
That's a bit different though, historically that's just provided a ratio that allows markets & periods in time to be compared...it definitely tells us something.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fish.01
I don't think that is the implication of that statistic, nor should it be. I think it's useful as a time series though.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I don't think that is the implication of that statistic, nor should it be. I think it's useful as a time series though.
Sliders was a good time series, as was The Time Tunnel. Dr Who is another series that features time travel.

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 15th 2011 at 6:38 am.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:28 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie37Michelle32
It seems everyone thinks the Bubble will never pop in Australia and will continue to grow and grow and be the biggest bestest bubble ever. ....
I've never met anyone who thinks this. So I would guess there's a big disconnect between what seems and what is.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:35 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sliders was a good time series, as was The Time Tunnel. Dr Who also features time travel.
And I wonder how much it costs Dr Who to remodel the Tardis?

If you were the tradie you'd be wise to check the inside dimensions before giving a quote.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
And I wonder how much it costs Dr Who to remodel the Tardis?

If you were the tradie you'd be wise to check the inside dimensions before giving a quote.
And the Doctor is lucky he does not live in Australia - just getting a tradie to give a quote is nearly impossible.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gere
http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/b...-1226004673183

The Next Bubble Coming From Down Under
http://www.fool.com/investing/intern...own-under.aspx

One Last Giant Property Bubble
http://www.fool.com/investing/intern...ty-bubble.aspx
That fool article is quoting Steve Keen, the man who has been so wrong for so long, didn't he have to do a forfeight as his 40% drop prediction didn't come true?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for gods sake people, are you so bored that you'll actually start having a discussion about it? I'm disappointed in you all, you've let me down.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oh for gods sake people, are you so bored that you'll actually start having a discussion about it? I'm disappointed in you all, you've let me down.
awwwee dont be MP, its us renters favourite threads
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:08 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Margaret3
awwwee dont be MP, its us renters favourite threads
So which one of Steve's suggestions are you spending your disposable on?

Originally Posted by Steve2009
There are better outlets for disposable income, like...
private healthcare
private education
safeguarding parents retirement
safeguarding own retirement
own further education
etc etc.

Much better than keeping your bank manager in sharp suits and $40 lunches.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rambi
So which one of Steve's suggestions are you spending your disposable on?
Does it matter? Isn't it her decision what she spends her money on? Who's to say any particular use is worse than lining bankers pockets?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Robbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really nice

Banks on $40 dollars lunches, what do they eat Burger King lol more like $140

I like this thread too its fun,I have looked into my crystal ball and have seen the future its bright and its orange LOL, i see the whole property market popping like we thought the UK would never go pop and ME coming over and buying the GOLDCOAST and charging massive amounts of rent haha if only and my next vision the lotto numbers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.