British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Beware Future Oz bound !!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/beware-future-oz-bound-486273/)

SKIPPI79 Oct 9th 2007 7:33 pm

Beware Future Oz bound !!!

Please and I mean Please
DO NOT MOVE TO AUSTRALIA THINKING THAT YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF FINANCIALLY!!!
DO IT FOR A DIFFERENT AND BETTER LIFESTYLE, OUTDOOR LIVING, BETTER WEATHER, BUT NOT FOR MORE MONEY

YOU DO NOT EARN AS MUCH IN AUSTRALIA THAN THE UK(WITH EXCEPTIONS OF COARSE)

The amount of times I read posts with people complaining that they don't earn the same as back home, and then ask themselves why they ever decided to move to OZ is amazing.
Get it right, if you want to earn big bucks, then stay at home(UK) and work for it, but if your up for a different, maybe better(who to say) lifestyle, with adventures, outdoor living, lots of BBQ's, pool in the backyard, good weather, spiders, snakes, beaches, boating, great parks, then jump on the plane and make the move!!! otherwise stay the h*ll away!!

Yes there are occasions where you could be earning better money in Oz than the UK, if this is you, then congrats, but the majority won't be, if they're in the same kind of job

No offense meant to anyone, just want people to realise this!!

Thanks

thebaggos Oct 9th 2007 7:59 pm

Re: Beware Future Oz bound !!!

Fair point but if you never try - you'll never know!!

TheSubMainMan Oct 9th 2007 8:14 pm

Good point, but it's only for two years then you can claim unemployment benefit again. :)

Just need to give it time.....

:rofl:

jad n rich Oct 9th 2007 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79 (Post 5405796)
Please and I mean Please
DO IT FOR A DIFFERENT AND BETTER LIFESTYLE, OUTDOOR LIVING, BETTER WEATHER, BUT NOT FOR MORE MONEY

The amount of times I read posts with people complaining that they don't earn the same as back home, and then ask themselves why they ever decided to move to OZ is amazing.
Get it right, if you want to earn big bucks, then stay at home(UK) and work for it, but if your up for a different, maybe better(who to say) lifestyle, with adventures, outdoor living, lots of BBQ's, pool in the backyard, good weather, spiders, snakes, beaches, boating, great parks, then jump on the plane and make the move!!! otherwise stay the h*ll away!!

Yes there are occasions where you could be earning better money in Oz than the UK, if this is you, then congrats, but the majority won't be, if they're in the same kind of job

Thanks

I think people are pretty aware that they will probably earn less. What people dont seem to be aware of is the cost of living. Australia has a reputation overseas as "cheap" a justified reputation 5+ years ago, but not now. Its expensive, has a total lack of competition in pricing of many things, housing in many areas is running at a ratio of 9/10 times income.

Think the cost of living is a far greater shock to many than low wages.

Emmalouise Oct 9th 2007 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 5406028)

Think the cost of living is a far greater shock to many than low wages.

I agree completely. We actually earn more now than in the UK but the cost of living is so much higher. Everything we read before we came re: cost of living was out of date........we are definitely worse off now because of how expensive everything is - especially out here in regional VIC!!! Also I never expected to have such a big mortgage but house prices have gone up so much since i started my research.
:unsure:

Fleaflyfloflum Oct 9th 2007 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Emmalouise (Post 5406075)
I agree completely. We actually earn more now than in the UK but the cost of living is so much higher. Everything we read before we came re: cost of living was out of date........we are definitely worse off now because of how expensive everything is - especially out here in regional VIC!!! Also I never expected to have such a big mortgage but house prices have gone up so much since i started my research.
:unsure:

Another in agreement. Spoke briefly on this subject in the MBTTK forum this morning.
I have been back in UK for 10 weeks now, after several years in Aus. I was totally shocked at the price comparisons when i got home.
Money has nothing to do with me coming home but it certainly was a pleasant surprise.

I guess something for those about to take the leap should rethink. If you want a large disposable income to enjoy doing things you like to do, ie holidays, cars, etc. Make sure you REALLY do the sums well before committing otherwise you could well be existing on a beach with very little to live on. No much fun after a while i can assure you!! I got bored and i had sufficient money.

>Trigger< Oct 9th 2007 9:36 pm

It's not how much you earn.......it's how much you spend!!

The Woodcutter Oct 9th 2007 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5406193)
It's not how much you earn.......it's how much you spend!!

I agree totally. My wife and I earnt more in the UK but we never seemed to have any money left at the end of the month. We are financially better off in Australia without compromising key things. For example our house is bigger with pool and a lower mortgage. We always buy 2nd hand cars and our cars are nicer in Oz. The quality of life we have in Australia is far better. For the first time, since we started a family, we have money in the bank. My only regret is not immigrating 10 years ago.

spartacus Oct 10th 2007 12:11 am

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter (Post 5406494)
I agree totally. My wife and I earnt more in the UK but we never seemed to have any money left at the end of the month. We are financially better off in Australia without compromising key things. For example our house is bigger with pool and a lower mortgage. We always buy 2nd hand cars and our cars are nicer in Oz. The quality of life we have in Australia is far better. For the first time, since we started a family, we have money in the bank. My only regret is not immigrating 10 years ago.

I'll second all of that.

I'm lucky, I get paid more and opportunities are greater for my line of work here.

Life in the UK was a constant game of catch up, always had the feeling I was a month's salary behind. I don't here. I have money left over at the end of every fortnight. When you start to get a handle on the comparitive costs of essential items you can see why. The majority of bills for heating / lighting / council rates / water rates / car insurance / contents insurance etc are considerably cheaper here compard to the UK, some are as much as half.

This doesn't include however food which is similar to UK, and housing (mortgage) which, in the major cities at least, is disproportionately expensive.

It isn't the 'land of milk and honey', you do have to work hard (or even harder), and an appreciation of the great outdoors is more or less essential as the cities don't hold your attention for that long. But this far in, and I admit to being a relative newcomer, I have no regrets.

Andy

>Trigger< Oct 10th 2007 12:17 am

I know people who earn twice what I earn...and don't have two ha'pennys to rub together...all suckered into big mortgages, 4wd,boats,private education...all things they never had in the UK

pommie pink pants Oct 10th 2007 12:23 am

Please and I mean Please

Thanks

There have been a few people of the forum have said they earn more in OZ then they did Uk, depends on what your occupation level is, theres plenty of people with no education or tradespeople in OZ getting jobs in the mining industry paying $200,000 per year. Hosusing in cheaper in OZ so if you were paying off a mortgage in the Uk but living mortgage free in OZ then that makes up for having a lower wage.

ozzieeagle Oct 10th 2007 12:45 am

Please and I mean Please

Thanks

I'm not 100 pct convinced on this one yet. I've been around and around this. I think it's more to do with being a newcomer to the employment market than anything else. The best way I can give an example is via my Daughter who moved from Aussie to the UK, with no plans to return. It has taken her two full years to move back to an income in adminstration to be anywhere near the money that she left on here. Circa 37,000 Aud at age 20 she was earning here, now she is on around 11,500 quid in London but moving upwards. (she got around this by working two jobs) The reason being she is untried and tested in the UK employment market, with no one wanting to take her on in case she moved back to Aussie, combined with not having a UK employment record. She is on the move up now, having earned her UK stripes, going for jobs around the 18,000 - 19,000 (going for junior PA work) quid mark, which is probably where she would have been if she had stayed in the Fashion industry in marketing here.

I also looked at employment opportunities for myself in the UK market, from afar. I doubt if I could get anywhere near my Aud 50,000 plus income, at Apost.
As a new migrant to the UK, aged 52, with no decent qualifications. I reckon I'd be lucky to clear 40,000 Aud (circa 16,000 quid) which would mean a 20 pct drop in my current income. Now no postie or night sorter is going to come to Aus and earn what I'm on as they have to be here with 5 yearly increments for a start, plus Apost dont take on Full timers anymore.

The reason for this is more to do with establishment in a new job market rather than anything to do with compartive rates of pay in respective countries.

I would say after 5 years here most people would be on the kind of income they would have been in the UK. The average wage across both countries is remarkably similar. Obviously there are wide variations in what people earn, IE: the WA mining industry here, and the City of London oiks in the uk for example. All in all the wage rate average overall is remarkably similar when taken across the board. I went all through this about two years ago. I think then there was a 3 pct difference which surprised the hell out of me, (especially the fact the the average American wage was in the same ball park as the UK and Aus ) the exchange rate may have actually pushed the average wage in Aussies favour. Took me about 2 hours of collating and googling last time around, but I'm sure I'm correct.

I do take the point that things are dearer here, took me a trip to the UK to belive it though.

Amazulu Oct 10th 2007 3:03 am

Please and I mean Please

Thanks

We are better off financially in Australia. No question.
We earn more and have no mortgage. Pension system here is far, far superior to the UK. Pension system in the UK is like Albania compared to here.

Your experiences are your own issue and you cannot compare them to everyone else.

chels Oct 10th 2007 3:57 am

Originally Posted by pommie pink pants (Post 5406583)
Hosusing in cheaper in OZ

:unsure: Housing may be cheaper but relative to wages less affordable (comparing major cities in Australia to those in the UK) apparently. Also, interest rates are higher here so mortgate repayments (for those of us who aren't lucky enough to be able to buy a house outright) are higher.

I'm on less money here than I would be in the UK, but my partner is on more. Life in Australia is affordable for us on two salaries, but it would be a strain on just the one. Not much chance of us buying the big house with a pool, 4wd, boat and holidays twice a year here - what a silly dream that was.

ozzieeagle Oct 10th 2007 4:01 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 5406917)
:unsure: Housing may be cheaper but relative to wages less affordable (comparing major cities in Australia to those in the UK) apparently. Also, interest rates are higher here so mortgate repayments (for those of us who aren't lucky enough to be able to buy a house outright) are higher.

I'm on less money here than I would be in the UK, but my partner is on more. Life in Australia is affordable for us on two salaries, but it would be a strain on just the one. Not much chance of us buying the big house with a pool, 4wd, boat and holidays twice a year here - what a silly dream that was.

The only people I know that can afford all of those, are established Tradies with their own business, funny thing is, even they are relucatant to take holidays.