Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware.... Beagle about

Beware.... Beagle about

Old Mar 9th 2004, 5:43 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Beware.... Beagle about

I felt it necessary to warn everyone about this virus. I opened an e-mail from NTL (my provider) that was informing me that I had a virus. I fell for it and opened the e-mail. It was a hoax and contained the beagle virus.
AVG wasn't able to fix it. Luckily for me I found a cure on Symantec site. Please, please, please be careful.

Sarah
Old Mar 9th 2004, 5:46 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the warning
Old Mar 9th 2004, 5:50 pm
WBB

the email came from NTL that is a bit dodgy, someone must of spoofed their address and used it to forward these bloody things.

Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:26 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Apparently that is how this particular virus works. It's a trojan, usually sent by faking an e-mail address. Containing text that says they have had complaints about you sending unsolicited mail that contains a virus or your account has been temporarily suspended. It asks you to open the attachment to get more info on curing your virus.
The one I had was from NTL it even had a link to their web site, well dodgy. If you get one delete it then delete from deleted menu. It is all a trick.

Great news for you WBB, many congrats.

Sarah
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Viruses are coming out every day at the moment. Please update your AV software regularly. Run Windows update regularly.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm suddenly being deluged with e-mails from people with addresses ending @bton.ac.uk
All of them have attachments, all entitled things like Your Document/Hi/ Urgent news.

I don't have anyone in my address book with that particular address, though I think I did have one e-mail via expats a couple of weeks ago which involved it. I guess they are coming through cos I'm now in that persons address book - whoever you are, please delete me!!!

Messages are all going in the bin unopened, they sounds very dodgy. Thank God for Norton; keep your eyes open guys!!!:scared:
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:21 pm

http://www.sophos.com/

Will give you a quick overview of the main viruses doing the rounds.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
I'm suddenly being deluged with e-mails from people with addresses ending @bton.ac.uk
All of them have attachments, all entitled things like Your Document/Hi/ Urgent news.

I don't have anyone in my address book with that particular address, though I think I did have one e-mail via expats a couple of weeks ago which involved it. I guess they are coming through cos I'm now in that persons address book - whoever you are, please delete me!!!

Messages are all going in the bin unopened, they sounds very dodgy. Thank God for Norton; keep your eyes open guys!!!:scared:

Same here, and Norton seems to be stopping all dodgy emails. But we think something may have got in the comp as it keeps locking up and everytime we attempt a Symantec scan the computers locks up. I have also found with the emails coming in that some contain sites i have been on or used within the email address.

fc
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:28 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by footie chick
Same here, and Norton seems to be stopping all dodgy emails. But we think something may have got in the comp as it keeps locking up and everytime we attempt a Symantec scan the computers locks up. I have also found with the emails coming in that some contain sites i have been on or used within the email address.

fc
I'm no expert in any sense of the word, but I'd say you have probably got some spyware on board.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by vicky o
I'm no expert in any sense of the word, but I'd say you have probably got some spyware on board.

Thanks we have thought the same, but hoped Norton had stopped any problems. Will get some advice in the am.

fc
Old Mar 11th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was a thread about Beagles for a moment (see my little cutie pictured left!)

Just this week I've received three suspect emails with .pif attachments and immediately deleted them. I get regular virus warnings from www.mcafee.com
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:21 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana and I had an email claiming to come from Telstra with an attachment which was similar to NTL and looked very dodgy today - didn't take the chance - said email promptly deleted.:scared:

:scared: Users of Telstra.com or Bigpond BEWARE!!!!!:scared:

Consign any odd looking emails to bin and then empty.

Oh, Billy, love the planes!

Last edited by The Bloke; Mar 12th 2004 at 6:25 am.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Back from work now, so i can update The Bloke's telstra info - the e-mail actually said that all Telstra e-mail accounts would be out of use for the next 2 days, but that by opening the attachment we would discover how to forward our messages to another account.

Being half asleep it didn't click at the time, although I was alert enough not to open the attachment. It was only later that I realised we have 3 telstra accounts, but only one of them got the message about the total shutdown........

Looked genuine, gave telstra addresses to contact for more info, the lot.

Be afraid!:scared:
Old Mar 12th 2004, 12:24 pm
Application in!

Andy66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Have any of you guys tried mailwasher?

I have used it for a year or so and it's fantastic.

It stops you downloading the dodgy stuff on your computer, and you can "bounce" spam back to the sender which I find particularly satisfying.

It's free to download from http://www.mailwasher.net/

Be careful out there...

Andy

Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:52 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
Back from work now, so i can update The Bloke's telstra info - the e-mail actually said that all Telstra e-mail accounts would be out of use for the next 2 days, but that by opening the attachment we would discover how to forward our messages to another account.

Being half asleep it didn't click at the time, although I was alert enough not to open the attachment. It was only later that I realised we have 3 telstra accounts, but only one of them got the message about the total shutdown........

Looked genuine, gave telstra addresses to contact for more info, the lot.

Be afraid!:scared:
All I say is move away from Hellstra. They are a notorious ISP for letting spammers use customers as open relays for spam.

In other words they don't give ***t.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.