Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware Amazons postage rates to Australia

Beware Amazons postage rates to Australia

Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:50 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beware Amazons postage rates to Australia

I've just tried to buy some used books via amazon.com and it was working out at $9.75 per book postage even when all the books came from the same supplier. I initially tried to order a load of paper backs which cost in total less than $100 but the postage was another $230! Kaking the whole order $330. Which I canceled! So I tried some different permutations and it was always $9.75 per book even for a small paper back costing $1.99

What a ripoff and the books I want you can't get out here. Also for reference a second hand book costing $4-$7 on Amazon was $33-$35 from an Australian site. Talk about not knowing what to do!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:58 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware Amazons postage rates to Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
I've just tried to buy some used books via amazon.com and it was working out at $9.75 per book postage even when all the books came from the same supplier. I initially tried to order a load of paper backs which cost in total less than $100 but the postage was another $230! Kaking the whole order $330. Which I canceled! So I tried some different permutations and it was always $9.75 per book even for a small paper back costing $1.99

What a ripoff and the books I want you can't get out here. Also for reference a second hand book costing $4-$7 on Amazon was $33-$35 from an Australian site. Talk about not knowing what to do!
can somebody get them for you in the uk and post them out to you, and you send them the spondoolies?
Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:59 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

That is a ripoff, have you tried - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:00 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Alternatively get them sent to the next person to visits house, and get them to bring them over for nowt.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Beware Amazons postage rates to Australia

Well, that's the Yanks for you.

At least you can't blame this one on Australia!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 11:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well, that's the Yanks for you.

At least you can't blame this one on Australia!
Of course he can, it's Australia's fault for being too far away .......
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:38 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't do it Arkon!

We ordered £150 from Amazon - which arrived ok, then DHL sent us a little bill for $104 2 weeks later - import duties!

Send it to a uk relative and ask them to post the books on to you marked as 'gift'.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 4:22 am
Badge

Originally Posted by kendodd
Don't do it Arkon!

We ordered £150 from Amazon - which arrived ok, then DHL sent us a little bill for $104 2 weeks later - import duties!

Send it to a uk relative and ask them to post the books on to you marked as 'gift'.
This happened to my wife when she ordered maternity clothes from the US

Badge

Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:02 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
This happened to my wife when she ordered maternity clothes from the US

Badge
I would have thought you could get some nice maternity clothes in Kmart - what were you thinking of shopping in the USA for clothes and not shopping in Australia - really Badge - where has your loyalty gone??!??
Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:09 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought you could get some nice maternity clothes in Kmart - what were you thinking of shopping in the USA for clothes and not shopping in Australia - really Badge - where has your loyalty gone??!??
Errr. The books I wanted are only in the USA and only from Amazon 3rd parties. It costs about the same to send them to the UK so by the time they get relayed to here plus the sting fee from customs, I may as well go on holiday to the states and buy them there! And yes I do blame Australia for this one as I never copped such a high number of fees and high postage rates when I used to shop in the UK from the USA. If more proof is needed I even bought some drizabone stuff from Australia when I was in the UK and it only cost a fraction to send the stuff in the other direction. So far here I've been robbed out of over $600 so far from DHL import duties etc.

Also to rub salt in a bit more, I want to buy a mozzie magnet from the states retailing at about $600 but it costs another $450 to send it over. Oh and before you all ask yes you can buy the same mozzie magnet over here for a paltry $2400!!!
Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:12 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

LOL. we bought some baby socks from kmart for our 10 week old and he wore them for a whole day before he wore a hole in them and freyed them bad! Not bad for a munchkin that spend all day on his back unable to walk or crawl. Kmart & Target have sussed the ancient art of sticking fibres together with nothing but air!!
Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:43 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be worth getting in contact with Borders via phone or email www.borders.com.au . They were able to get me some technical books from the States for my work as being a US based company they had access to the full Borders worldwide catalogue and only made a small service charge for ordering them. Only took about ten days for them to arrive which was probably quicker than ordering them direct from a US supplier online.

Just out of interest I ordered a DVD from the US Amazon and when it arrived the parcel had a postmark from France, go figure that one.

Have you contacted the Amazon 3rd party suppliers to see if they can offer a more sensible price direct?

Re the taxes, it was the same in the UK, if you ordered one or two CDs or DVDs from US never had a problem, three or more and got hit for import taxes every time.

Last edited by Flying Banana; Oct 9th 2005 at 12:44 pm. Reason: Add link