Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For better or for worse

For better or for worse

Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

coriuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For better or for worse

It seems most people are financially worse of in Australia. If this the case for you what is the difference between your UK income and Aus income, and what type of work do you do?
If better off, the same question applies.

Also do you catch up after a few years.?
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:00 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: For better or for worse

Originally Posted by coriuk
It seems most people are financially worse of in Australia. If this the case for you what is the difference between your UK income and Aus income, and what type of work do you do?

Hello

I dont have the answer but im sure some one will be along soon
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:03 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

if that's true then it wont make a difference to us then.

Crap wages here and crap wages there, suppose you could say i'm getting practice!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Better off in Oz.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 8:39 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

its hard to equate the two. moving to Australia you will have a much better lifestyle. you need to work out how much it would cost to make your lifestyle that much better in the UK and then compare.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

£66k in the uk
£35k in oz
Im a chippy(43) with a working wife (30) she makes slightly less than she did in the uk £30uk to £25k she is a rep for epson
in real day to day stuff cant really feel if but if I ponder on it to long its gets to me a bit.
saying that im still glad we came and no thoughts of going home
we look forward to our weekends off like never before, kids love it too
so suppose its true there is more to life than cash
Rod
Old Oct 19th 2007, 8:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moocow
moving to Australia you will have a much better lifestyle.
Not necessarily.

You will have a different lifestyle.....whether it is better or not depends on individual circumstances and interests.

G
Old Oct 19th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

coriuk is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a long thread on here about how much better off people were finacially in the UK. The cost of living has increased a lot over the past few years from what I can gather.
I am actually Australian , have been living in London for approximately 12 years and we planning on returning next year.

From what I remember people with trades fair better in Australia than they do hear but professionals earn less than here. So there is or was less of a gap. I dont know if thats still the case.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:47 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

It does take a few years to catch up.

Certainly achievable though.

We have been here a few years and things are different but we feel as if we have now caught up.

You feel poor if you think back to the UK or are visiting though.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:33 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

We're worse off here in wages and cost of living. In the UK I would earn more for what I do and steadily progress. Was nurse in UK now lecturer here. In Oz I could earn more as a nurse! Longer hours more stress but flexible and with two kids at school I need this.

Cost of living is much higher than the area we lived in the UK.

Time as a family is certainly more and we have gotten closer to our kids. Both the UK and Oz holds good and bad things for us.

All in all stil in limbo (maybe always will be??).

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:39 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
We're worse off here in wages and cost of living. In the UK I would earn more for what I do and steadily progress. Was nurse in UK now lecturer here. In Oz I could earn more as a nurse! Longer hours more stress but flexible and with two kids at school I need this.

Cost of living is much higher than the area we lived in the UK.

Time as a family is certainly more and we have gotten closer to our kids. Both the UK and Oz holds good and bad things for us.

All in all stil in limbo (maybe always will be??).

Cheers

Ginny

How is it that time with the family is more. Not working as many hours?
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moocow
its hard to equate the two. moving to Australia you will have a much better lifestyle. you need to work out how much it would cost to make your lifestyle that much better in the UK and then compare.
The OP was asking purely about financial aspects tho...
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:49 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
How is it that time with the family is more. Not working as many hours?
Ironically working longer but the time off we spend together as a family insttead of chucking the kids out the front door is more. We make more of an effort to do somethings together.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:34 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

I think too much empasis is put on how much you can earn in Oz compared to the uk. I think a lot of people come over here thinking because you can buy more house for your money than in the Uk then they are suddenly going to be rich. When they come here and find that shopping and day to day living expenses are comparable or slightly more expensive they are dissapointed.
Yes you do need to know what you are going to be paid but look at the life you can lead here....not how much material stuff you can own.
A trip to the beach for a day with a packed/lunch/barbie costs nothing....as does a walk in the woods/bush/park. There is so much to offer over here and it doesnt cost a penny.

BETTER OFF IN OZ!!

Last edited by SarahJane2007; Oct 20th 2007 at 2:02 am.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Better off in Oz.
ditto

DH's wages are way more than they were in UK, mortgage is smaller.... which means we have more disposable income

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.