British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Which is better? Toploader or frontloader! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/better-toploader-frontloader-653335/)

Jen1977ni Feb 6th 2010 10:01 am

Which is better? Toploader or frontloader!

Well, here we finally are in Oz...and now the nitty gritty begins. Once we've our house sorted we will need to buy a washing machine, so which is better, front or top loader, and why?!

Thanks in advance x

Geelong Gent Feb 6th 2010 10:08 am

Re: Which is better? Toploader or frontloader!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8317182)
Well, here we finally are in Oz...and now the nitty gritty begins. Once we've our house sorted we will need to buy a washing machine, so which is better, front or top loader, and why?!

Thanks in advance x

Oh you mean washing machines.... I thought it was about XXX Toys:p

Front loaders I heard were better.

Nu-Shooz Feb 6th 2010 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 8317194)
Oh you mean washing machines.... I thought it was about XXX Toys:p

Front loaders I heard were better.

Nah, front loaders much better:p

Pollyana Feb 6th 2010 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8317182)

Thanks in advance x

Definitely front-loader :thumbsup::)

kporte Feb 6th 2010 10:12 am

Front loader. Better water usage isn't it?

The Bloke Feb 6th 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8317208)
Front loader. Better water usage isn't it?

..... and easier on the clothes.....(I was converted):D

ABCDiamond Feb 6th 2010 10:20 am

• Front Loaders take longer to run a wash cycle. Terrible for those people who stand at the washing machine waiting for it to finish.
  • Front Loaders tend to have smaller wash load capacity
  • Front Loaders don't tie up the washing, the same way that top loaders with an agitator do.
  • Front Loaders, with their gentler wash cycle do not damage the clothes as much.
  • Front Loaders use less water than a top loader.
  • Top loaders will let you add extra items to the wash after it has started.

and finally.....

Some of the newer design top loaders are being advertised as being as good as the top loaders.

Hence, the top loader manufacturers must agree that the original design top loaders were not as good... :D

HelenTD Feb 6th 2010 10:30 am

Our Fisher & Paykel top loader finally died a year ago, so I went through the exercise of top vs front loader (just to make my Aussie OH happy, they seem very attached to top loaders here :rolleyes:).

Definitely a front loader - we went for a Bosch 6.5 kg, 1200 rpm model, with an impressive range of programmes. It's rated 4.5 out of 5 for water usage, 4 out of 6 for power consumption. It's much better than the Miele we tried, although a noisier spin.

Try looking at http://www.productreview.com.au/ for all the different brands and models - it's surprising how many well-known brands are given a pasting.

rekkymech Feb 6th 2010 10:35 am

You mean they still make top loads, wow........

how would that work, i mean i have to cut a hole in the kitchen work top!!! :)

kporte Feb 6th 2010 10:39 am

Originally Posted by rekkymech (Post 8317245)
You mean they still make top loads, wow........

how would that work, i mean i have to cut a hole in the kitchen work top!!! :)

Most have utility rooms or basements here, rarely have the washing machine in the kitchen

rekkymech Feb 6th 2010 10:46 am

I got a utility but have a kitchen worktop over the washer and tumbler with a fitted cupboard for the detergents and stuff.

My mother in law had a top loader which was older than me she swore by it, but i just thought it was a similar sort of conflict that VHS had over Betamax, oh and the frontloader won that marketing battle too lol

kporte Feb 6th 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by rekkymech (Post 8317256)
I got a utility but have a kitchen worktop over the washer and tumbler with a fitted cupboard for the detergents and stuff.

My mother in law had a top loader which was older than me she swore by it, but i just thought it was a similar sort of conflict that VHS had over Betamax, oh and the frontloader won that marketing battle too lol

I've never tried a front loader so went with what I knew! Plus, at the time we got a government $250 water saving rebate:thumbsup: Got our Samsung on sale at the Good Guys for $430 then received the rebate.

Satch_Boogie Feb 6th 2010 10:54 am

My wife is a front loader convert as when she left the States they didn't do anything but top loaders. Front loaders are much easier on the clothes and seem to clean them better. She hates going home for visits and doing laundry now due to the top loaders.

HelenTD Feb 6th 2010 11:01 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8317262)
I've never tried a front loader so went with what I knew! Plus, at the time we got a government $250 water saving rebate:thumbsup: Got our Samsung on sale at the Good Guys for $430 then received the rebate.

Here in WA we got $150 water rebate on our front loader, but I think they've stopped that now.

Debbiew Feb 6th 2010 12:32 pm

Hi,
Definatley a front loader we have a top loader in the rental we're in, I can't wait for mine to arrive from the UK.:thumbsup: