Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A better tommorrow

A better tommorrow

Old May 3rd 2004, 11:16 pm
kong

Default A better tommorrow

One of the main reasons sited by starry eyed Daily Mail reading Poms for moving to Oz is for the good of their kids. Now I realise this must be something they kid themselves upon, as well as Blair and the EU enlargement, asylum seekers blah blah.

How does this equate in the real world though?

The poor wages and employment oppurtunities in Australia

The remoteness/lack of international travel

The high (especially young male) suicide rate

The fact that any clued up ozzie teenagers want to leave Aus suburban banality in search of a life in Europe

To all those POM immos, I suggusr that you keep hold of a 2004 edition of the mail/express talking about Albanian pimps/crack dealers to help consoul your fed up adolescents when they encounter these limitations of Aus.

Good luck

Old May 4th 2004, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

re aussie aussie wages?

According to a UK government report, the average gross weekly UK wage in 2003 was 522.60 GBP ( ($1281AUD) for men and 394.80 GBP($967.91 AUD) for women.

The average australian weekly wage for 2003 was $939.60.

Now, these raw figures do not tell the whole story. In 2003, the average home loan in the UK was 86,100 GBP ($211,190 AUD), whereas for Australia in the same period it was $171,523.

OK granted, these figures show UK workers earn about 25% more than Australian workers, and have home loans on average 3.2 x their annual income, (compared to an average home loan of 3.4 x average salary in australia).

Personally, I found things a lot easier here, and I realise that I was very fortunate. Within 2 years of emigrating to Australia, I picked up a position that pays me double what I was on in the UK

At the end of the day, it boils down to what you are happy with: if you want to buy some terraced house in the UK, then so be it.

If you want to have to commute several hours a day, because you work in London, and simply cannot afford to live there, again thats your choice.

Personally I prefer to buy a typical aussie house (detached bungalow, swimming pool, place to keep the car off road). I also prefer the more relaxed lifestyle, the sunnier, warmer weather, having parrots visit my garden.

I worry about my sons, still living in Surrey and being told they qualify for an 80,000 pound mortgage, where in that part of the country, a run-down ex council house costs at least 130,000.

As for the clued up aussie youth leaving australia as soon as they can, yes I agree, I know a lot who did, but most came back a few years later, at the same time at least doubling up their overseas savings by virtue of the favourable exchange rate.

Sources

UK statistics

Australian statistics

UK housing loans

Australian housing loan
Old May 4th 2004, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

PS another reason for leaving the UK was to get away from the middle class tory values that rags like the Daily Mail peddle!
Old May 4th 2004, 4:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Trevglas
PS another reason for leaving the UK was to get away from the middle class tory values that rags like the Daily Mail peddle!
To a country run by John howard!
Old May 4th 2004, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
To a country run by John howard!
If John Howards a worry, what about Mark Latham. That is a very scary proposal for Australia and yet has a very real chance of getting in. Makes UK pollies look like real professionals. Latham in we are OUT.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't think anyone was going to reply to this. 30+ views before someone replied.

The original poster's a troll.

He's been to Australia, he's '.....lived there for a year'. And whilst he was there, he '...hated the place'.

He also said he would like to tell the mother of his wife (who is Australian) to, '....shove her f**king Straylia'

Doesn't sound like anyone who's open to intelligent debate about the pros and cons to me.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by young_lad
Didn't think anyone was going to reply to this. 30+ views before someone replied.

He's been to Australia, he's '.....lived there for a year'. And whilst he was there, he '...hated the place'.

He also said he would like to tell the mother of his wife (who is Australian) to, '....shove her f**king Straylia'

Doesn't sound like anyone who's open to intelligent debate about the pros and cons to me.
Unfortunately there are some like that, and their comments get in the way of real information that the prospective migrants need, to be able to make informed choices.

I can understand some people hating the place, what I can't understand is why they can't see that people are different, and that quite a few people do actually like it here.

Old May 4th 2004, 5:51 am

Originally posted by jad n rich
If John Howards a worry, what about Mark Latham. That is a very scary proposal for Australia and yet has a very real chance of getting in. Makes UK pollies look like real professionals. Latham in we are OUT.
My point is that John Howard would be a Daily Mail middle class tory if he was a pom.
Old May 4th 2004, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bondi,

Not to sure about the Mail, more likely the Telegraph.

Come to think about it, both rags have long words in them, so I guess that makes him a potential Sun reader?

Certainly the sensationalist approach of the Sun would be right up his street.
Old May 4th 2004, 7:32 am

Originally posted by Trevglas
Bondi,

Not to sure about the Mail, more likely the Telegraph.

Come to think about it, both rags have long words in them, so I guess that makes him a potential Sun reader?

Certainly the sensationalist approach of the Sun would be right up his street.
He has not got the brains or the worldliness for the Telegraph. I think Latham would be a Sunday Sport reader.
Old May 4th 2004, 8:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday Sport reader.
You mean someone actually READS it??!
Old May 4th 2004, 9:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by young_lad

Sounds a bit like someone whos a well known troll on here when you sum it up like that .