Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Better than Christmas!

Wikiposts

Better than Christmas!

Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:28 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Way to go POLL!!!
It's just the best feeling make the most of it! However it ebbs away after you realise for the 5th day running that you havn't actually finished unpacking after all! These pesky boxes keep popping up is places i'd forgotten we had
PS. Theres no way the house will be finished for your imminent arrival! Maybe next grand prix hey

hehehe!!!!
we moved into this house over 4 years ago and I STILL find boxes I havnt unpacked!!!
cant wait for a good clear out!!!

sue
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:09 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Pol now found her Lego!! Now seen what gear there is- wonder if Michael Jackson will let us live in Neverland Ranch now he has moved out - need the space.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Boomie
[
The only damage so far appears to be the stuff that AQIS inspected! Small piece broken off the base of the chest of drawers for example, where the packing had been opened & resealed.

You mention ya drawers............... can ya take pine furniture?

love boomie
xx xx

Should be fine so long as it's treated i.e waxed or stained.

Our dining table was "distressed" i.e. looke like it had been attacked by the Patagonian Death Watch Beetle, but they let it through!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is a pine chest of drawers, all the drawers were full of wooden ornaments as well. AQIS had obviously looked at it, though they hadn't unsealed the drawers (stuck shut with tape!). There was no problem with it though. Nor was there with any of the bits like the spice rack, mug tree and all that sort of junk - all inspected, then allowed in
The Bloke is now happy as his wooden Spitfire is here in one piece! I can play with my Lego and he can play with his plane!!!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:31 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Mine is a pine chest of drawers, all the drawers were full of wooden ornaments as well. AQIS had obviously looked at it, though they hadn't unsealed the drawers (stuck shut with tape!). There was no problem with it though. Nor was there with any of the bits like the spice rack, mug tree and all that sort of junk - all inspected, then allowed in
The Bloke is now happy as his wooden Spitfire is here in one piece! I can play with my Lego and he can play with his plane!!!
aahh sooo sweet"!

Did you find that the tape pulled off some of the polish on the wood. Not yet? oopppss, sorry BE CAREFUL!!:lecture:
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:42 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its that sort of"natural look" so the tape hasn't messed it up too much.
The Bloke has fled in terror now I have discovered my Bay City Rollers cds.....

Someone was asking last week about mould? I have an ottoman with a chipboard base, and the base has acquired some mould somewhere en route. The package was clearly opened by AQIS, but they let it through OK.
Also, although its taken since mid October for it to get here, none of the clothes or anything (yet) seem to smell musty, or be damp at all. I put everything like that in dustbin liners before putting into boxes.

Hevs, does that mean the bbq is off? We don't mind what state your place is in you silly thing! You should see this unit at present!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Better than Christmas!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pollyana
Sod Christmas, just wait till your shipping arrives!!!!

Better late than never as they say!!!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 2:37 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

But where's the piccy of the famous pink chair ???
Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:33 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

polyana,
enjoy all your goodies. i remember when we moved to canada as a kid, i kept badgering my old man about when the container would finally arrive. when it finally did, it was like being given all new toys second time round!

i now have big boy boys, but i am sure the feeling will be the same when it all finally happens. need a little yellow sticker first apparantly though...

flying dutchman
Old Feb 19th 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Oh yes Bondi - the Boots stuff! AQIS looked at it but let it in, and the bathroom is now full!!!!
When you say Boots stuff what do you mean?
Cosmetics? Toiletries?

I have some items (such as essential oils etc) that I would
like to take, but everything I read on the shipping sites, seem to
suggest to avoid liquids. Also I was thinking it might be useful to
take some items of children's medicine as the last thing I'd want
was for them to be ill and then refuse to take the medicine
because it was different.

I bet it feels great to have your personal stuff around you again,
makes a place feel like home.

Karen
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:07 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Well you all asked for it so here it comes complete with Disney the Elephant and Michael Schumacher(Disney is the one ON the chair)>>>>>>>>>
Attached Thumbnails Better than Christmas!-dsc01342.jpg  
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:16 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by The Bloke
Well you all asked for it so here it comes complete with Disney the Elephant and Michael Schumacher(Disney is the one ON the chair)>>>>>>>>>
Yay!!!!!!! Thanks! Cool!
And how cute is Disney!! Luckily he wasn't stabbed!!
Michael on the otherhand

Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:26 pm
Home and Happy

Yea, sorry about that git of a German racer, but the camera belongs to The Bloke, and he wouldn't take the picture without his precious cardboard cutout!!
Disney is very cute - Ben (the stabbed teddy) is convalescing!!!

Karen - most of my Boots stuff is the Natural Collection - they have Body Shop here, but I just loooove the Natural Collection stuff and brought about £80 of it to use up my Advantage points!!
Most of it is liquid, I put the bottles in freezer bags, inside tupperware ( ) boxes and it all got here OK.
As for medicines - I brought piles of Piriton (Polaramine is the Aussie equivalent), Flu-Plus, and Beechams Powders! I would suggest, especially with kids, bring enough familiar stuff to keep you going, and then take the labels, and the leaflets to a chemist and they can try and find the closest thing.Thats how I found Polaramine -its the same generic name, so its the same formula, just sold under a different name.

Also - cos this one hasn't been mentioned for ages - ladies, get the leaflets for your brand of the Pill, cos here they are all different, and some of the UK ones don't exist at all (hence a few white lies to the Family Planning people and 18 months supply!)