Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it better raising your kids in Oz?

Is it better raising your kids in Oz?

Old May 1st 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it better raising your kids in Oz?

Originally Posted by rab
One of the big differences for the kids is the school curriculum. My friend migrated here and his kids are still not at the same academic level as when they left UK two years ago. Here they seem to concentrate on social skills and sport but the academic level is lower and the requirement to do homework is very light compared to UK.

No doubt there are good teachers and well run schools, but even in the private schools where you might expect them to be pushed more they have the same simple curriculum.

The other basic decision is do you want to bring your child up an Australian? That's an easy choice for some, but for me it's a concern, as I am still proud to be a product of the UK education system. I know I am dumb for not thinking it through when we moved here but that was six years ago and my daughter is only 19 months old. We are already considering schools in our choice of where to eventually move to back in the UK.

Now I'm gonna sit back and wait to slated for the above by teachers and parents here
I wouldn't slate you, your intitled to your opinion.

When 2 of my kids started at their Ozzie primary school they were ahead but my daughter started at secondary school and she was definately behind. She had to put in a lot of hard work to catch up. Especially French and she had been doing very well in that subject in the UK. Luckily she just got the OP she needed to get on her course at Uni but the teachers all said that if they had had her another year she would have got a much higher OP.

I think there are good and bad schools in both UK and here and it wouldn't be a factor I would consider when deciding which one I wanted to live in. You would be able to find good schools in both countrys. School is not everything just part of their lives.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:55 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
Our daughter's childcare is absolutely excellent by the way, but the moment she develops an Australian accent we're going home!
Actually I might eat my words if my wife reads this, she has the Aussie accent!
Old May 1st 2009, 12:57 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 74samantha
Hi,

I was just wondering what people's experiences are of raising children in Australia compared to the UK. In reality (ie not through rose-tinted glasses) what does Australia do better and what does it do worse?

I have two toddler age children and we're planning to emigrate in the next couple of years (when the house finally sells!), and want to have my eyes open to the reality of the child-raising differences in the two countries.

Thanks.

PS - as an aside, does Australia have an equivalent to the wonderful (ha!) British chav, and if so what are they called?
Well we've been here nearly 2 1/2 years and our 3 love it here. We went back to the UK for Christmas and it was interesting to note that although they loved seeing family and friends again, they were keen to get back to Oz. Sport plays a massive part in our lives, we had 3 competitive volleyball matches this evening and tomorrow, one game of footie and 3 netball matches. It keeps our girls fit and out of mischief and the social aspect is great fun.
And I'm really pleased with the education that my children receive, but we researched the schools well, before we got here and moved into the catchment area of our chosen high school. They are not in the private system and I don't subscribe to the theory that a state education is in any way inferior, but it's up to you to do the groundwork, to seek out the school that you believe will best suit your child.
Old May 1st 2009, 1:23 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It depends largely on where you live in Australia. There's no national curriculum here (yet) and the education is run at a state level. NSW is widely regarded as having the best education system - indeed it's going to be the basis of the national curriculum when it's rolled out.

More than that though, it depends where you live within the state. It's just like the UK in that regard - children at an inner-city school will receive a far, far, different education to children at a rural school. Personally we care not for the city education and are pleased that our son's being educated a small rural school - one that celebrates its 150th anniversary next year.

I have no experience of education in other parts of Oz, but here in South Coast NSW the emphasis is very much on the 'whole' child, rather than just the academic side of things. They are all taught public speaking from very early on in school and there's great emphasis placed on getting along with your peers. In our experience the British school system was all about hot-housing kids, something that we absolutely hated.

And the outside school stuff again depends on where you live. We live semi-rural, right on the coast, in an area dependent on tourism and farming. The kids have learnt to surf here before they've take the stabilisers off their bikes. They play in the streets, they knock cricket balls about in the village oval, they ride bikes and skateboards. I dare say they play Playstation and Wii too - but it doesn't seem to be the sole outlet for their attention. Clubs and sports societies are incredibly busy here - the weekend paper devotes about a third of its pages just to covering it all. There's something for all temprements really, from football (the British variety) to dancing - and that's out here in the sticks.

I think the main thing you need to understand is that you and your kids (general 'you' - I realise your sprogs are toddlers) won't magically change the day you get off the plane. If you're the sort of family that sit on the sofa all evening watching game shows and troughing Dominos pizzas, then you won't magically turn into sports-mad outdoorsy types. Emigration gives everyone the opportunity to reinvent themselves in a place where they have no historial baggage to drag them down - whether we take that opportunity is up to us.
Old May 1st 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rab
You hit the nail on the head. They are tough choices indeed.

I went to grammar school in UK, received good discipline and a broad and thorough academic education. I want my daughter to have that and share British values and experiences.

I want to able to show her castles and medieval buildings, take her Dublin and Prague, let her go on school trips to real mountains and learn survival on Dartmoor. I want her to read Shakespeare and learn about the Tudors and the Industrial Revolution.

I want to take her to see Newcastle against Manchester United. I want to go to Warriors against London Irish, for gingerbread in Grasmere, tea in Yorkshire and when she's old enough a beer and a dram in an old pub in the Highlands.

I have loved every minute of living and working in Australia, but I have serious doubts about bringing up my daughter here. She's got an Aussie mum and an English dad, but in fact we all have both blue and red passports. So she's got dual heritage. And funnily her mum is the bigger driver for going to UK.

Our daughter's childcare is absolutely excellent by the way, but the moment she develops an Australian accent we're going home!
&&&&&& &&&&&&& &&&&&&

OMG the critics are going to steam into me for that!
I can think of worse things in life for her than having an Ozzie accent!
Old May 1st 2009, 1:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
I can think of worse things in life for her than having an Ozzie accent!
Brummy? Thames Estuary? Scouse? [No offence to anyone - I have a fine Norff Lahndan Thames Estuarine accent meself]
Old May 1st 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Not sure about the rest of AUstralia, but in Sydney they are called "westies".

My husband and I have chosen to raise our child in Australia as we want him to go to school there.

Australia is not better then the UK but we like the outside lifestyle and the lack of ASBO badges there. (before people have a go which they are more then welcome to it what we have decided).

I can only speak for my childhood in Australia and my husbands in the UK and between the two we have decided on Australia.

I could list an equal amount of good and bad points to the childhoods of an Aussie and a British child, so our opinion is what we want for our child alone.

Originally Posted by 74samantha
Hi,

I was just wondering what people's experiences are of raising children in Australia compared to the UK. In reality (ie not through rose-tinted glasses) what does Australia do better and what does it do worse?

I have two toddler age children and we're planning to emigrate in the next couple of years (when the house finally sells!), and want to have my eyes open to the reality of the child-raising differences in the two countries.

Thanks.

PS - as an aside, does Australia have an equivalent to the wonderful (ha!) British chav, and if so what are they called?
Old May 1st 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
I think the main thing you need to understand is that you and your kids (general 'you' - I realise your sprogs are toddlers) won't magically change the day you get off the plane. If you're the sort of family that sit on the sofa all evening watching game shows and troughing Dominos pizzas, then you won't magically turn into sports-mad outdoorsy types. Emigration gives everyone the opportunity to reinvent themselves in a place where they have no historial baggage to drag them down - whether we take that opportunity is up to us.
Totally agree with this. I was never brought up a sporty/outdoor person but my husband is and that's the sort of life we wanted our kids to have. As he has been working away so much it has been left to me to encourage this and I'm really glad I have because I can see how much they enjoy it. It is easier to have that sort of life in Oz if thats what you want.
Old May 1st 2009, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hutch
Brummy? Thames Estuary? Scouse? [No offence to anyone - I have a fine Norff Lahndan Thames Estuarine accent meself]
when i came here at 13 (from NW kent), my relatives thought i sounded awful - too cockney common, i didn't pronounce my t's at all
it seems to turn womens heads sometimes though
Old May 1st 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
One of the big differences for the kids is the school curriculum. My friend migrated here and his kids are still not at the same academic level as when they left UK two years ago. Here they seem to concentrate on social skills and sport but the academic level is lower and the requirement to do homework is very light compared to UK.

No doubt there are good teachers and well run schools, but even in the private schools where you might expect them to be pushed more they have the same simple curriculum.

The other basic decision is do you want to bring your child up an Australian? That's an easy choice for some, but for me it's a concern, as I am still proud to be a product of the UK education system. I know I am dumb for not thinking it through when we moved here but that was six years ago and my daughter is only 19 months old. We are already considering schools in our choice of where to eventually move to back in the UK.

Now I'm gonna sit back and wait to slated for the above by teachers and parents here

Firstly there is no UK system of education. There is an English/Welsh system, a Scots system and I think an Northern Ireland system. I do not believe that anyone can truely compare bringing up children in the UK and Australia, as it is impossible to bring children up in two places at the same time.
As far as education is conserned, when I came here, many years ago, I wished that I could have sent my sons back, to Scotland, to be educated. However, having seen the end results of the NSW education system I am pleasantly surprised. That's the opinion of a teacher who was educated in what was the best education system in the World,the Scots system.
Children should not be bogged down with homework. They need time to be kids! The only homework they should have is that work which they have chosen not to complete in class.
Children should only be "pushed" to reach their own potential, not some level set by some indefinite person?
What is so wrong with your child being brought up as an Australian? There are many worse things that it could be! Me thinks that you have the attitude that as you are English you are superior.

Last edited by Gibbo; May 1st 2009 at 4:20 pm.
Old May 1st 2009, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My kids tell me that they appreciated growing up in Australia but I dont think it is inherently better than UK just different. Personally I agonized over the education - seeing it close up I was definitely not impressed and by the end of their education my boys were really ticked off with some aspects especially of university which even they thought were somewhat Mickey Mouse and lacking in rigor (getting graded on group presentations in which up to half of the kids couldnt speak English was a particular frustration for both of them and, no, neither of them is racist - they didnt appreciate having to carry a lazy Aussie bludger either).

In the longer run, growing up in Australia hasnt disadvantaged my elder son who now has a very nice career going in UK and has sampled the wider world of Europe and Africa on his very generous holiday times. Much as he would like his kids to have an Australian childhood he also recognizes that for him the next 10 - 20 years will be better served in UK and I seriously doubt that his Londoner girlfriend would transplant easily to Australia if they stay together. I wont say that his Aus background advantaged him in the least bit either and he has had to work very hard to get to where he has. I dont think Australia has done my younger son well at all - self sufficiency might be admirable but I think he is wasting his life and considerable talents - too much Aussie laidbackness IMHO. He's happy at the moment though.

I am always bemused by the notion that Aussie kids live outdoors - not around here they dont. Obesity is epidemic and many parents think that as long as the kid is on a footie team (whatever flavour) and does training once a week and they can barrack on the sidelines on Saturday then they are getting their exercise. Many young Aussies are welded to their Wiis I think. I see very few playing outside in the street - it was much more common 10 - 15 years ago.

I think kids are the product of their parents and if parents put a lot of time and energy into their kids and support their interests then it really doesnt matter whether they grow up here or there. There are opportunities everywhere.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

I am always bemused by the notion that Aussie kids live outdoors - not around here they dont. Obesity is epidemic and many parents think that as long as the kid is on a footie team (whatever flavour) and does training once a week and they can barrack on the sidelines on Saturday then they are getting their exercise. Many young Aussies are welded to their Wiis I think
Have to totally agree with that, up here of course a fair bit of time is spent in the pool in hot summers but Ive yet to meet one of the kids mates who doesnt have an entire room full of Wiis, playstations, Xbox, DS and most of them upgrade it the second the new version comes out, we are very unstylish in comparisom then

All 3 boys have loved the education) its easy, its relaxed, a fair % of teachers dont give a shite, sorry but that has been our experience and as much as the 3 boys loved it, Ive had serious doubts on many levels for some years, ( at first I was sucked into the oh my gosh they are so happy at school ) Yeah know I know why!!! However on paper it looks great, never seen below a A or a B, the latest school report was out yesterday, the youngest had his first term in Exension English/Maths/Science/Social Science, plus 5 normal subjects all A's and B's. On the other hand Son 2 with mild dyslexia has received 27 group sessions of learning help in total. There is no funding, if your looking at bringing a child out with a learning disability think on!!! and research well

After the glowing school reports there are jobs, uni, we found the Uni entrance was very competitive with few kids we knew getting their first choice, son 1 did get a place, but did 2 year business diploma at TAFE instead, that lead to a job where he was abused by employers expecting 60+ hours for 38 hours pay, second job similar. He then applied in Brisbane to an electrical company wanting apprentices, there were hundred of applicants, the last intake I heard of there were over 1000 kids, when he applied it was about 600 ( that was boom times) for 20 jobs, you needed a very high OP ( high school score ) sat 2 entrance exams tests, medicals and a personality profile, the interview process took from feb to june. I have not found australia to be a land of great opportunity for jobs kids wise, quite the opposite really. Currenty, the 15 year old and entire class are struggling to find casual $9 an hour jobs, however when son 1 was similar age that was easy, so that would be the recession. Eldest has now been made redundant ( come july ) due to the recession.

Climate - better for kids, were in qld, all I would say on that scary subject is if your the blond pale and interesting type, stay out of it get skin checks, after 5 years we started getting moles hacked off. Actually add dark skin/hair to that, my oldest is quite dark and hes had moles off too.

Social life for my kids they have all ended up with great mates, ( often from overseas ) but plenty of aussies too. You dont raise 3 teens here and subscribe to the belief teens here are any less problematic than the UK, it all goes on from violence, drugs to suicides, the teen driving/crashes.

Generally a well rounded bunch of mates, no trouble despite knowing of it all going on. My only problem there has been the bullying, twice we have seen overseas families return for this reason going on and on despite school changes even. Youngest was bullied in late primary, mild verbal but physical violent stuff, however due to the severity of it, the child finally was removed from the school.

From being here they have had the advantage of big homes often on acerage with swimming pools, they have had the disadvantage of no family, and I am sorry that to me is a big one, on reflection that is not a choice I should have made. ( we do have some aussie family here but havent really clicked, just different, ie were V well travelled they think overseas is straddie ) just different. Despite years in OZ kids still click with UK humour etc more.

No better no worse really, different yes. An experience yes, education less stressed yes, emotional nightmare at times yes. Like life ups and downs.

Last edited by jad n rich; May 1st 2009 at 9:29 pm.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
You hit the nail on the head. They are tough choices indeed.

I went to grammar school in UK, received good discipline and a broad and thorough academic education. I want my daughter to have that and share British values and experiences.

I want to able to show her castles and medieval buildings, take her Dublin and Prague, let her go on school trips to real mountains and learn survival on Dartmoor. I want her to read Shakespeare and learn about the Tudors and the Industrial Revolution.

I want to take her to see Newcastle against Manchester United. I want to go to Warriors against London Irish, for gingerbread in Grasmere, tea in Yorkshire and when she's old enough a beer and a dram in an old pub in the Highlands.

I have loved every minute of living and working in Australia, but I have serious doubts about bringing up my daughter here. She's got an Aussie mum and an English dad, but in fact we all have both blue and red passports. So she's got dual heritage. And funnily her mum is the bigger driver for going to UK.

&&&&&& &&&&&&& &&&&&&

OMG the critics are going to steam into me for that!
I don't see why they should mate.

I want my children to also have a variety of exposure in much the same way you do. I look at the older children of our peers and I see them doing much of the same sort of things - even going overseas. Clearly this is not so easy - but I'm sure you would agree that the very stuff of cultural capital starts at home. Surprisingly to some, I see that their values mirror those of what you might call British values - the UK does not have a monopoly on these.

I think it depends where you live.

We live semi-rural in Melbourne partly to get that country/city mix which I think is useful for self-sufficiency, reliance and education. There is a family around here that take boys from Eton and teach them a few things. A friend of my wife lived in the Middle East as a personal teacher to one of the Royal Families.

Real mountains - I often discuss this with my brother who is a serious Alpine climber. There are hills around the corner far higher than the highest point in the North and South downs, and real mountains well within the same drive as Snowdonia. Even the lesser known Mt Donna Buang 30mins drive from us is moreorless, 25pc higher than Snowdon - you can even tobaggan at it's summit. (I realise that a height of a mountain or hill is no indication of it's difficulty of climbing for the hard core climbers). This is not a pissing contest mate, I'm just thinking outloud and sharing your appreciation...we have family in the US and Europe. The door is wide open for us all.

I get quite excited about the things that children can do. I don't see why many of the children I know can't do well here or there. You just have to give them the key.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I think kids are the product of their parents and if parents put a lot of time and energy into their kids and support their interests then it really doesnt matter whether they grow up here or there. There are opportunities everywhere.
Good post, I agree.

It is a matter of grave importance to me this last point. For example, there is nothing worse than a parent blaming the teachers for their children's failings. I see the role of a teacher to take a child through a curriculum. The real education happens at home and with their peers.

I have met many a person who I would considered well educated but failed at school - in terms of grades.
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Can someone define what they mean by better? because my understanding is that what works for you and works well may be better for you but not necessarily for other people.

Case study:

My cousin and his partner moved to Adelaide (9-months ago) when me and my partner where living their. His partner did not like the nurseries because she wanted her kid to learn instead of just playing. Some might prefer their kids to socialy interact properly before learning, some prefer their kids to get stuck in and start to work on that brain. It all depends on what you want for your kids. She took her kid out of that particular nursery and found one with a balance of two worlds; playful time and learning time. It seems the playful time is lacking in the UK and they seem not to let kids be kids.

As for the outdoors, it seems the OZ's love the outdoors. They love their barbies - very evident when I was living their. Its great for getting out and about and I'm sure kids spend far more time outdoors in OZ than they do in Britain (maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it). And if you compare it to the UK, us Brits seem to spend more time indoors than outdoors than the Oz's (perhaps the weather is to blame for that).

What works well for you and what you think will be best for your children is all that matters. If you like what OZ has to offer then that's all that should matter.

Is it better? only you can answer that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.