British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Which Is better : Canada or Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/better-canada-australia-108101/)

hanu May 5th 2002 12:34 pm

Which Is better : Canada or Australia

Which country is more suitable for immigrants ->
Canada or Australia

Udo Zallmann May 5th 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Which Is better : Canada or Australia

hanu <[email protected]> in <[email protected]> scripsit:

> Which country is more suitable for immigrants -> Canada or Australia

Depends on your personal situation as well as your preferences. Canada is closer to
the USA but has a colder climate than Australia. As far as formalities go,
immigration to Australia may be a bit easier for independent immigrants than to
Canada at the moment because Immigration Canada has set a very high pass mark for the
time beimg to clear up a backlog of up to two years at some visa posts.

udo
--
Wozu mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schießen, wenn man Atombomben hat?

Richard May 5th 2002 8:30 pm

What's your favourite season, summer or winter? That should answer your question :)

Richard in Toronto

hanu <[email protected]> wrote in <[email protected]>:

>Which country is more suitable for immigrants -> Canada or Australia
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Ian....
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Paul Jackson May 6th 2002 2:00 pm

This is a personal matter, it all boils down to your circumstances - there are
Canadians moving to Oz and Ozzies moving to Canada.

If it helps here are my pros & cons

Canada Pros

Very high living standards Relatively easy to return to UK for visits Close to US
(is this an advantage??) great scenery (especially BC)

Cons The winter (not too bad in Southern BC though) Short vacation levels (like 2
weeks leave a year!) The french influence

Australia Pros nice weather the beaches laid back outdoor lifestyle lifestyle
distant from rest of the world

Cons All those nasty creepy crawlies one of the worlds highest burglary rates skin
cancer distant from rest of the world

Hope this helps.....

In article <[email protected]>, hanu says...
    >
    >Which country is more suitable for immigrants -> Canada or Australia
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Ian....
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Laurent May 7th 2002 10:00 am

Paul Jackson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > This is a personal matter, it all boils down to your circumstances - there are
    > Canadians moving to Oz and Ozzies moving to Canada.
    >
    > If it helps here are my pros & cons
    >
    >
    > Canada
    >
    > Cons

> The french influence
    >

You look very open-minded to other cultures, I suggest you should emigrate to
countries such as North Korea, Zimbabwe or Iraq, so that you could live with people
that share your great sense of tolerance. Or maybe you should go to Montana in some
Iowa militia, so that you stay between "anglo-saxons aryan" people !!

Thunder Ace May 8th 2002 9:30 am

Paul Jackson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > This is a personal matter, it all boils down to your circumstances - there are
    > Canadians moving to Oz and Ozzies moving to Canada.
    >
    > If it helps here are my pros & cons
    >
    >
    > Canada Pros
    >
    > Very high living standards Relatively easy to return to UK for visits Close to US
    > (is this an advantage??) great scenery (especially BC)
    >
    > Cons The winter (not too bad in Southern BC though) Short vacation levels (like 2
    > weeks leave a year!) The french influence
    >
    > Australia Pros nice weather the beaches laid back outdoor lifestyle lifestyle
    > distant from rest of the world
    >
    > Cons All those nasty creepy crawlies one of the worlds highest burglary rates skin
    > cancer distant from rest of the world
    >
    > Hope this helps.....
    >
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>, hanu says...
    > >
    > >Which country is more suitable for immigrants -> Canada or Australia
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >--
    > >Ian....
    > >
    > >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

"Distant from the rest of the world"? Asia is on it's doorstep and NZ is just round
the corner! I think you mean Europe really, more precisely England, am I right?

"The French influence"? Are you a Francophile? You're not from England are you?

Helena May 8th 2002 1:30 pm

"hanu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Which country is more suitable for immigrants -> Canada or Australia

I've lived in Canada and Australia. Both are lovely countries, probably the two best
in the world for liveability and nice people. Both are vast countries with great
differences in terrain, climate, housing costs, job availability, etc. though, and
everyone is different, so it's hard to say which is better for immigrants.

If you're asking about job availability, I'm sure both countries have hardship cases
- of immigrants not able to find work in their field, engineers driving taxis, etc.,
and both probably have just as many happy endings. Finding work can be difficult for
anyone, newcomer or long-term resident, but can be made worse if employers expect
"local experience" or if jobs are found via "word of mouth/who you know" which is
quite common in both countries. And then each country has better job availability in
certain cities/regions than others.

I find life in Perth, Australia easier than it was in Vancouver, Canada. More casual
and laid back, more outdoor oriented, which is what both my husband and I were ready
for when we moved here. Everyone is different though and cities are all different
too. I've heard Sydney is faster paced, less laid back, and I certainly get that
impression when visiting there. Just like Toronto is faster than Vancouver, although
I find the difference is not as noticeable between them as it is between Sydney and
Perth where I live now. Working in Vancouver was a lot more "rat-race'ish" than it is
here in Perth.

I don't like the Canadian weather. Winters are brutally cold and long (annoyingly wet
and long in Vancouver), and summers are short (wet and short in Vancouver). You
should never base your immigration choices simply on weather but it can have a
significant impact on lifestyle depending on the person, and even cost of living.

People talk about Australia's isolation being a barrier to travel. That can be the
case, depending on the individual. We found that, once we had kids, our exotic
traveling was severely curtailed anyway, so living in Canada had no advantage for us
in that respect, other than Disneyland being closer. Camping is certainly easier and
nicer here due to the better, more reliable weather. And there are lovely places in
Asia to visit for reasonable prices. In Canada, we found we were always desperate to
go south to some place with beaches and sunshine and warmth. Here, we live right in
the middle of that, so those sorts of holidays are not a priority anymore.

I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. There are too many
variables. Someone else will have different opinions than me. And then of course, the
fact that I am Australian who "came home" with her Canadian husband and kids is a
different experience than a "total" immigrant family.

Good luck,

Helena

Paul Jackson May 8th 2002 6:00 pm

>"Distant from the rest of the world"? Asia is on it's doorstep and NZ is just round
    >the corner! I think you mean Europe really, more precisely England, am I right?

Look on a globe. In Thailand, London isn't much further than Sydney. New Zealand to
Sydney - about the same as London to North Africa - Is Morocco just round the corner
from England?

>
    >"The French influence"? Are you a Francophile? You're not from England are you?

From England, but have lived in Western Canada (Vancouver). Canada is a fine country,
in fact it's one of the best countries in the world. Unfortunately a number of French
speakers in Quebec are trying to split the country in two. In addition, very view
people speak French in BC or Alberta - yet Federal business is conducted in both
languages.

I've travelled the world, enjoyed many cultures (including France). I live in a
cosmopolitan city. I'm not parochial by any means.

Paul

iancurtis May 8th 2002 7:57 pm

Do you live in Australia now, Paul ? If so, how do you see the difference in attitudes to work between the UK, Canada and Oz ?

Bg May 9th 2002 3:20 am

I live in Alberta and it really irritates me that everything is half french even
though no one here speaks french. I mean turn on your radio or tv and you'll hear
government funded french channels being broadcast to nobody! Although I do sympathize
with the Quebec separatists, and hope they get their way. Our cultures are to
different, and we'll never get along.

Paul Jackson wrote:

>>"Distant from the rest of the world"? Asia is on it's doorstep and NZ is just round
    >>the corner! I think you mean Europe really, more precisely England, am I right?
    >>
    >
    > Look on a globe. In Thailand, London isn't much further than Sydney. New Zealand to
    > Sydney - about the same as London to North Africa - Is Morocco just round the
    > corner from England?
    >
    >
    >>"The French influence"? Are you a Francophile? You're not from England are you?
    >>
    >
    > From England, but have lived in Western Canada (Vancouver). Canada is a fine
    > country, in fact it's one of the best countries in the world. Unfortunately a
    > number of French speakers in Quebec are trying to split the country in two. In
    > addition, very view people speak French in BC or Alberta - yet Federal business is
    > conducted in both languages.
    >
    >
    > I've travelled the world, enjoyed many cultures (including France). I live in a
    > cosmopolitan city. I'm not parochial by any means.
    >
    > Paul

Ashley Watson May 9th 2002 2:20 pm

> From England, but have lived in Western Canada (Vancouver). Canada is a fine
    > country, in fact it's one of the best countries in the world. Unfortunately a
    > number of French speakers in Quebec are trying to split the country in two. In
    > addition, very view people speak French in BC or Alberta - yet Federal >business is
    > conducted in both languages.

Thats not true, I live in Quebec and officially at a federal level everything is
bilingual. But the reality is once you get outside of Quebec and to a certain extent
New Brunswick, very few federal officials can communicate in French. The only
exception is for people who work in federal offices in Ottawa.

If you cross the border from the US to British Columbia, and speak to the immigration
officer in French, he or she will be unable to communicate effectively with you. Last
year a French friend of mine called the immigration office in Vancouver for
information. She chose all the automated options in French, but when the person came
on the end of the line, he was unable to speak to her. She had to pass the phone to
me in order to translate.

I regard Canada and Quebec as two seperate countries, although officially this is not
the case. There are no such thing as French Canadians, If you chose to live in Quebec
then you are a Quebecois regardless of the language you speak, or your ethnic
origins. If you live in the other provinces then you are Canadian.

I think geography has a bit to do with this. If Quebec was at one extreme of North
America and not sandwidged between provinces, then Canadians probably couldnt care
less if the province was to gain independence.

Ashley Watson

Darrene Jun 17th 2002 3:30 pm

I live in Canada (born and raised) and am considering moving to Australia. I am a
proud Canadian (Canadian Armed Forces Serving Member even) but the biggest reasons
for me to consider relocating to Australia are 1) The IT Industry is better 2) it
seems the overall quality of life is better the cost of living seems about par and 2)
The Weather in Canada Sucks!!! No offense to Vancouver (were it is a mostly warmer
climate, may snow once a year) to the rest of the country and 7-8 month of Winter of
-10 or so. So I would suggest you take both the Climate and the Industry to which you
wish to be employed in to account when you make your decision.

"Paul Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >"Distant from the rest of the world"? Asia is on it's doorstep and NZ is just
    > >round the corner! I think you mean Europe really, more precisely England, am
    > >I right?
    >
    > Look on a globe. In Thailand, London isn't much further than Sydney. New
Zealand
    > to Sydney - about the same as London to North Africa - Is Morocco just
round the
    > corner from England?
    >
    > >
    > >"The French influence"? Are you a Francophile? You're not from England are you?
    >
    > From England, but have lived in Western Canada (Vancouver). Canada is a
fine
    > country, in fact it's one of the best countries in the world.
Unfortunately a
    > number of French speakers in Quebec are trying to split the country in
two. In
    > addition, very view people speak French in BC or Alberta - yet Federal
business
    > is conducted in both languages.
    >
    >
    > I've travelled the world, enjoyed many cultures (including France). I live
in a
    > cosmopolitan city. I'm not parochial by any means.
    >
    > Paul