Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best/worst time to arrive in Oz

Best/worst time to arrive in Oz

Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best/worst time to arrive in Oz

We're planning on arriving in Oz early November (departing UK end of October but taking a bit of a holiday on the way).

I'm worried that as this is close to Christmas it is usually a tricky time to find both jobs and accommodation in the UK. Is this true of Australia too ?
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best/worst time to arrive in Oz

Originally posted by jerzy
We're planning on arriving in Oz early November (departing UK end of October but taking a bit of a holiday on the way).

I'm worried that as this is close to Christmas it is usually a tricky time to find both jobs and accommodation in the UK. Is this true of Australia too ?
I arrived in Sydney in November 1998 and didn't find work until January, and I was only temping. I would guess that it would depend on what you do for a living. January is usually a good time to find work, although I had my interview for my current job on the 23rd December so you never know.

Didn't really find it hard to get accommodation, but I was on a working holiday then so maybe looking for a different kind of accomodation!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:01 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I believe it's true.
That's why we're leaving as soon as possible after my graduating: july.

Also, we'll have time to slowly get used to the warm weather before the heat of summer hits us.

Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Hopefully the best time to arrive in Australia is in 3 weeks time!

Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:09 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mummy
Hopefully the best time to arrive in Australia is in 3 weeks time!

For me 5 weeks
Also living with parents and in laws btw :scared:
Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:21 pm
Soon to be Visas holders

pete n lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Simone
For me 5 weeks
Also living with parents and in laws btw :scared:
And for us 10 weeks!!!

lisa x
Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:25 pm
Part of that group......

vickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant future

and for us 8 weeks !!

Vickeyvixen
Old Jun 8th 2004, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

You may find it a little harder to rent a house around Christmas time as it is the kids main 6 weeks summer holidays, but I think that workwise, it may be a good time of year.

We arrived in October and didn't have many problems.

If I were doing it again, maybe the end of September would be a good time.

Whisky
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of issues to consider.

- Employment. As some others have posted the Australian job market slows down greatly over the summer holiday period (mid Dec to February) although depending on your skills there may be opportunities to pick up temp work to cover for people taking holidays.
Or just accept you'll have a few months in the sun first.

- Accommodation. The rental market operates all year round, although is a little slower in the holiday season. Universities come back at the start of March, which can affect the market in some areas.

- Weather. A personal question, but if you arrive in Melbourne in mid-winter or Brisbane/Perth in mid-summer, the heat or cold may be an issue to cope with initially.

- Schools. If you have children, then the school year commences at the end of January/early February. In NSW schools have a four term year.

- Tax. You get a full years tax allowance and lower rate bands in the UK in the year of your departure (6th April to 5th April). In Australia the tax free allowance is pro-rated but the lower tax rates are not. Planning the timing of your move can have benefits.
If you are planning to arrive at the end of June, you will have to do a tax return for the year (which ends on June 30th). Although you would be unlikely to have to pay very much tax, the need to do an Australian tax return can be avoided by arriving in early July.

Once you have made the emotional commitment to moving, it's usually better to get on with it once preparations are complete.

IMO, the period between September and November is often a good time to arrive, but it depends on circumstances.

Jeremy

Old Jun 8th 2004, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad we didn't arrive in Melbourne today - full grey cloud cover and it's raining (I'd have been well p***d off to go through 18 months when acquiring the visa to arrive to this!)

(For those now panicking that there's no point to the whole thing, as Melbourne seems no better than a wet weekend in Slough, yesterday was beautiful )

(Nothing against Slough - sorry if anyone lives there. David Brent has lots to answer for)
Old Jun 8th 2004, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by JAJ
- Weather. A personal question, but if you arrive in Melbourne in mid-winter or Brisbane/Perth in mid-summer, the heat or cold may be an issue to cope with initially.
Well worth while considering this point.

On my first migration, I left UK at about -5C and arrived in Brisbane at about 40C. I couldn't handle such a massive change, and soon scarpered off to Sydney.

I'm OK now, and can handle even the excesses that we had this summer up here.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:28 am
Very happy member !!!

bubcay is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO the best time to leave is ASAP after getting your visa and sorting out things at home. I have been waiting for so long to disappear from this place (Bosnia), so I will be leaving les than two months after I got my visa. It is just a personal feeling, but I was ready to leave this country years ago.

I guess the best time would be whenever you are ready....

18 days to go....
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:50 am
Just Joined

lookingforjob is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it easy for IT jobs in Perth?

Or, generally, what are the kind of jobs available in Perth?

Thanks

Originally posted by whisky
You may find it a little harder to rent a house around Christmas time as it is the kids main 6 weeks summer holidays, but I think that workwise, it may be a good time of year.

We arrived in October and didn't have many problems.

If I were doing it again, maybe the end of September would be a good time.

Whisky
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:57 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by lookingforjob
Is it easy for IT jobs in Perth?

Or, generally, what are the kind of jobs available in Perth?

Thanks
Well, it's not compared to Sydney/Melbourne.....

Perth is a city with 1.6 million people. There are all kinds of jobs.
The question is, how many are there....
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JAJ
There are a number of issues to consider....IMO, the period between September and November is often a good time to arrive, but it depends on circumstances.

Jeremy
Thanks a lot for this info Jeremy, it's eased some of my worries, still pushing the wife to aim for the end of September though (she's not one to be rushed )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.