Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The best and the worse?

The best and the worse?

Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:53 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The best and the worst?

To all those who have emigrated to Australia - what were/are the best and the worst things about the whole experience at first.

To those planning on emigrating - what are you most looking forward to/worried about.

Personally would hate to be out of work too long with the savings starting to run out.

Last edited by Pookin; Jun 24th 2003 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:57 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Most looking forward to a fresh start and being closer to a good set of friends.

Most dreading failure to get work I guess.

Jo
Old Jun 24th 2003, 4:12 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: The best and the worst?

Originally posted by Pookin
To all those who have emigrated to Australia - what were/are the best and the worst things about the whole experience at first.

To those planning on emigrating - what are you most looking forward to/worried about.

Personally would hate to be out of work too long with the savings starting to run out.
Most looking forward to the more appealing job prospects (probably applies to a limited number of careers to be honest). Also looking forward to seeing the wifes smile when we land in the country she misses so much.

Least looking forward to leaving the immediate family. My mums going to be a touch upset when we actually leave methinks.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 4:33 pm
Badge

Default Re: The best and the worst?

The best (In order of occurence):

1) Chatting to the crew on the aeroplane (if they are Aussie!! ;-))
2) Getting my visa stamped
4) Seeing happy, smiling men and women in the street
4a) less traffic, stress and noise - even in Sydney!
5) someone working in the service sector smiling at me and saying hi
6) Having a non-PC, laid back, friendly, banter conversation with someone who works in the service sector.
7) Hiring a normal car with a good engine ie.bigger than 2000cc
8) Buying my "pre-owned" ute - paying cash.
9) Downing a Tooheys extra dry and watching NRL..I will be there in time for the Grand Final
10) seeing mates and family
11) listening to the radio (in ute)
11a) pulling up in a drive-in bottle shop and taking my first slab delivery in my own vehicle
12) sitting outside in back yard with another stubbie that evening
13) calling my mate Bruce up and giving him a hard time over something
14) watching the news = hearing someone sound "normal" read the news not some manic hyper stuck up stiff.

LONGER TERM

14) buying land and then building my kit home

15) knowing I've made the right decision
17) watching the Bill, Heartbeat and BBC news and hearing all the whiny, stressed, uptight accents..and laughing to myself.
18) learning to count ...;-)

Not looking forward to:

1)the feeling of being unsettled the first few days

yours aye
badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jun 24th 2003 at 4:41 pm.

Old Jun 24th 2003, 5:13 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

One year on and my best and worse have changed - six months ago the worst was the homesickness since that time I have been back for visits twice and I now know my feelings are not for the place as much as the people I miss. In fact I wanted to be back 'home' in aus, after the second trip. I keep in close contact now with my sister who I miss the most. I call and chat through the silly bits, work grumbles, washing windows, staining the bath after my last hair dye and having to scrub it for hours! I do not wait till I have 'news' I make the 'hi how are you' calls often. For me I did not talk enough with her, both of us thinking it would make us feel worse, but for us now it doesn't and I am just as close so I am more comfortable now. But I sure underestimated how bad it could make me feel and I kept it in and bottled up thinking it would pass. Getting to this level with our children 10 and 13 now - was also hard - letting them get their feelings out without seeming too hard that no we were not going back.

My worst now is probably the odd occasions I look back and compare, because by nature it is usually the negatives we see first, then I try and give myself a mental kick and look for the positive and that is one of the best things it does not take me much to find a few positives!

I do not know what will happen next - bit boring if we did, so I make plans with an eye on two/three years at a time - who knows that big international job offer might come through and I will jet set round the world, I might win the lottery, finally learn to get in the sea and surf!

Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2003, 7:02 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

i`m looking forward to the adventure, the not knowing what little obsticles oz might throw up at me, im releshing the challenge.

but alas i know i`ll miss my mates and they`ll take some replacing so i`m not looking forward to saying goodbye to them.
oh and watching middlesbrough f.c