Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best wireless broadband to use with British TV downloading website type things

Best wireless broadband to use with British TV downloading website type things

Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice
Default Best wireless broadband to use with British TV downloading website type things

Hi there,

Am trying to suss out the best broadband package but am not sure what practical download limit I would need to be able to use with the above. Can anyone help. We had 8Gb Sky in the UK (What good value that seems now, was free!) and it was fine but we didn't download much. We're in Melbourne CBD so should be relatively close to an exchange.

I'm being swayed towards Dodo, anyone have any experience of them? Don't mind being shaped if we go over the limit as happy to leave something running overnight but would prefer not to have to pay for extra downloading Also, we'd prefer wireless and would clearly like all of this as cheaply as possible!

Any reccomendations gratefully received and also pointers to the relevant torrent sites, I've searched for them but can't remember the names!

Cheers Edna x

Thanks,

Maggie
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:45 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best wireless broadband to use with British TV downloading website type things

Whirlpool

Will answer all your questions, and more...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:01 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best wireless broadband to use with British TV downloading website type things

Originally Posted by EdnaAverage
Hi there,

Am trying to suss out the best broadband package but am not sure what practical download limit I would need to be able to use with the above.
If you mean the BBC's new service I don;t think it is available to Australian internet users.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice

Thanks for the reples, am trawling Whirlpool as we speak.

Jayr - no I mean websites like thebox.bz (finally got signed up, whooooo hooo!) where you upload and download files rather than a broadcaster provided internet thing.

Dr Who - cheers, any ideas on what the minimum download allowance and speed I should be looking at might be? I'll mainly be downloading hour long shows rather than movies? I'm ashamed to admit I don't actually know what size the files would be and thus how long they could take to do?

Cheers,

E
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:36 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

E
Do you have FOXTEL?

If so you can get CABLE internet and a WIRELESS modem which plugs into the FOxtel box. You'll need to go through Telsta Bigpond.

I pay $70/month and get speeds (allegedly) of 15,000kbps. I think it might be say 25GB a month.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Jayr - no I mean websites like thebox.bz (finally got signed up, whooooo hooo!) where you upload and download files rather than a broadcaster provided internet thing.

Dr Who - cheers, any ideas on what the minimum download allowance and speed I should be looking at might be? I'll mainly be downloading hour long shows rather than movies? I'm ashamed to admit I don't actually know what size the files would be and thus how long they could take to do?

Cheers,

E

If you plan on doing a lot of downloading then you will need ADSL or ADSL2, wireless will just cost too much and some services limit p2p. Look at internode and iinet on whirlpool, I have 40gb/month with iinet and use it all every month.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

We use thebox.bz for just about all the TV we watch. We are with 'opless (sorry Optus) and have a 30 GB limit - usually by the end of the month we are pretty close to max'ing out. But at least with 'opless, they just reduce your speed. They don't charge you for additional data.

So you can still check e-mail etc, but its too slow for downloads until it re-sets at the start of your next month.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:18 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

If you're using BitTorrent to download DivX files (and if you like TV you *will* need to resort to illegal means to get a satisfactory viewing experience) then most shows are in the 350Mb/45minute show size. The quality is not as good as even SD FTA tv, but its watchable and worth it for the reliability and advert stripping if nothing else!

There are higher quality files available on some shows - e.g. "Sarah Connor Chronicles" there are some 720p x264 5.1DD quality rips out there that look AMAZING (Better than HD broadcasts here) - but they weigh in at around 1.2Gb per 45 minute show - so you need a hefty allowance (I have 40Gb peak+110Gb off peak!)

Remember BitTorrent traffic will use Up+down traffic and some unscrupulous ISPs here in Australia measure your uploads towards limits as well as downloads. This will screw you completely and mean downloading a 1.2Gb file could easily use 3 or 4Gb of your monthly data allowance!

I dont know much about wireless broadband providers - but I'd imaging the costs would be high and data restrictions severe.. ADSL gives you much more flexibility if you even *think* about using the internet to get media content!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Remember BitTorrent traffic will use Up+down traffic and some unscrupulous ISPs here in Australia measure your uploads towards limits as well as downloads. This will screw you completely and mean downloading a 1.2Gb file could easily use 3 or 4Gb of your monthly data allowance!

Yes, 'opless Optus measure down & UP in their monthly allowance.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:24 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

E
We have a 60gb total and we use it all every month... I wouldn't do less because once you start there'll be lots you'll want...

Look at Whirlpool and see who most people are with... think you'll find iiNet, who we're with, and Internode are the most popular... avoid anything wireless and Telstra (Bigpoo) and Optus like the plague...

Last edited by DrWho; Apr 4th 2008 at 4:26 am. Reason: More info...!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Yes, 'opless Optus measure down & UP in their monthly allowance.
Just schedule your torrent traffic to be effective during your off-peak usage times by using something like uTorrent.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Just schedule your torrent traffic to be effective during your off-peak usage times by using something like uTorrent.

I don't think Optus has on/off peak times.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:30 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I agree its important (vital) to do if you're on that kind of plan and cant get out of it - but its MUCH better to not fall into that trap in the first place! Forewarned is forearmed and the ISPs around here will screw you completely and lock you in for a 24 month contract as soon as they can, so READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!

(Most Torrent clients will allow you to limit your upload speeds so you can have a bit fat down pipe and a little trickle upwards - but even that trickle can add up if you dont remember to remove torrents as soon as you've got what you want!.. and its not being a very good 'torrent citizen' to leech like that all the time)

Last edited by DadAgain; Apr 4th 2008 at 4:32 am.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Hi there,

Am trying to suss out the best broadband package but am not sure what practical download limit I would need to be able to use with the above. Can anyone help. We had 8Gb Sky in the UK (What good value that seems now, was free!) and it was fine but we didn't download much. We're in Melbourne CBD so should be relatively close to an exchange.

I'm being swayed towards Dodo, anyone have any experience of them? Don't mind being shaped if we go over the limit as happy to leave something running overnight but would prefer not to have to pay for extra downloading Also, we'd prefer wireless and would clearly like all of this as cheaply as possible!

Any reccomendations gratefully received and also pointers to the relevant torrent sites, I've searched for them but can't remember the names!

Cheers Edna x

Thanks,

Maggie

I download all my tv 30gb down 50gb up, from the box and i use Exetel no contract, uploads do not count, Do not use Dodo or Telstra as they count your upload as part of download, as for wireles just use a wireless router in your house
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:40 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Edna

Dodo do charge for uploads and thebox will be very shirty with you if you dont upload as much as you download, which means 1 episode of emmerdale will cost you close to 1Gb once you have downloaded it at 350Mb, uploaded it and had a bit of "overhead" (and yes, i know soaps are free )

my personal advice would be to avoid all the telecom companies (telstra,optus,Dodo,primus,AT&T etc..) they tend to be bad value for money.
If you think you will be moving house soon (if you are renting or whatever) then TPG and Internode both have 6 month minimums, they work differently but basically you can walk away penalty free after 6 months with those 2 and neither meter uploads.
the telco's tend to want 24 months as standard.

Derab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.