British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Best Wine (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/best-wine-732186/)

deb68 Sep 13th 2011 12:16 pm

Best Wine

Ok theres a beer thread...now we have a wine thread.

I like the cheapo box crap - it gets me buzzing and it's cheap:eek:

northernbird Sep 13th 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Best Wine

My current favourite is a Howling Wolves White Shiraz.

deb68 Sep 13th 2011 12:31 pm

Is that a Aussie wine or from out of country?

Amazulu Sep 13th 2011 12:33 pm

Had a bottle of Maclaren Vale, Biscay Road Shiraz with dinner - $98 a case online.

Superb it was too.

Wendy Sep 13th 2011 12:33 pm

I'm currently drinking Tempus Two Copper Series Moscato :drinkwine::drinkwine::drinkwine:

northernbird Sep 13th 2011 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by deb68 (Post 9618055)
Is that a Aussie wine or from out of country?

http://www.howlingwolveswines.com/cover.html

WA, Margaret River.

deb68 Sep 13th 2011 12:36 pm

Very nice thanks for link.

deb68 Sep 13th 2011 12:37 pm

Side ask is RED OR WHITE?

northernbird Sep 13th 2011 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by deb68 (Post 9618067)
Side ask is RED OR WHITE?

White Shiraz is a Rose.

deb68 Sep 13th 2011 12:45 pm

Sorry - do peeps prefer red or white, i like white over red...But can drink either:eek:

Wendy Sep 13th 2011 12:47 pm

White or Rose for me. Don't like red wine, it makes my head hurt :D

EvannTel Sep 13th 2011 2:03 pm

Sensible prices (ish)

White Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc
Red Penfolds Bin 389

paddyo Sep 14th 2011 3:57 am

Originally Posted by deb68 (Post 9618030)
Ok theres a beer thread...now we have a wine thread.

I like the cheapo box crap - it gets me buzzing and it's cheap:eek:

Chateuneuf de Pape, from the same named region in France. A beautiful full bodied red, well known and can be expensive...but not if you shop at Costco!! $21 a bottle in Costco, Aubrun, NSW!!

Amazulu Sep 14th 2011 4:33 am

Originally Posted by EvannTel (Post 9618224)
Sensible prices (ish)

White Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc
Red Penfolds Bin 389

This is the one I was talking about:
http://www.winemarket.com.au/Home_4/...SHIRAZ-2008-12

Enjoyed it so much that I've just bought another 3 cases

EvannTel Sep 14th 2011 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9619797)
This is the one I was talking about:
http://www.winemarket.com.au/Home_4/...SHIRAZ-2008-12

Enjoyed it so much that I've just bought another 3 cases

Thanks, I'll see if I can get some at Dans

EvannTel Sep 14th 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 9619753)
Chateuneuf de Pape, from the same named region in France. A beautiful full bodied red, well known and can be expensive...but not if you shop at Costco!! $21 a bottle in Costco, Aubrun, NSW!!

But which Chateau Neuf de Pape? As you says its a region, so saying you like is saying I like champagne. There is chateau neuf and there is chateau neuf and some, as you say, are $$$$$$$

paddyo Sep 14th 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by EvannTel (Post 9620242)
But which Chateau Neuf de Pape? As you says its a region, so saying you like is saying I like champagne. There is chateau neuf and there is chateau neuf and some, as you say, are $$$$$$$

I'll check the label, but I have never yet had a bad bottle of the stuff and it doesn't get a good reputation for nothing.

vauxhallmonterey Sep 14th 2011 10:34 am

Selvapiana Chianti Rufine, saw a 1992 I think - apparently about 12 pounds a bottle in the UK.

jorgon Sep 16th 2011 10:27 am

Don't forget to try the cleanskins.
The dearer the better.
It's pot luck, but you can end up drinking a wine you couldn't otherwise afford.

deb68 Sep 16th 2011 1:10 pm

Just necking a delightful box of Coolabah 'Dolce Rosso' probably this years vintage, but hey i am no wine nut:eek:

Perthbum Sep 16th 2011 1:14 pm

South African Shiraz is my favorite, I like most Aussie wines. think French wines are crap and very overrated by wine snobs.

jorgon Sep 16th 2011 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Perthbum (Post 9625080)
I think French wines are crap and very overrated by wine snobs.

Which ones have you tried?

Alfresco Sep 16th 2011 10:42 pm

South African Shiraz is my favorite, I like most Aussie wines. think French wines are crap and very overrated by wine snobs.

Nederburg Baronne is my fave S.A. red. Try it if you can find it here. :thumbup:

$6 in S.A. - $18.50 in Oz.

http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...productId=1248

paddyo Sep 17th 2011 1:47 am

Well if thats not a defensive statement I don't know what is. What is a wine snob exactly and why do you think that ALL French wines are crap?? Irrespective of your taste in wines and favoritism for particular region or country their is no denying that some French wines are superb, but, like ALL countries some are not up to the mark.

MiekeNL Sep 17th 2011 2:34 am

:rofl:rofl::rofl: what a strange statement to make:rofl:

Perthbum Sep 17th 2011 7:03 am

Originally Posted by jorgon (Post 9625971)
Which ones have you tried?

Loads, never had a decent red yet compared to South African and Aussie reds, it is a myth that France does good reds, give me a Rioja from Spain a Shiraz from S.Africa any day.
That's not to say that some French white wines aren't good, because there are some, but for the most part, they need some work.

Perthbum Sep 17th 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9626056)
Nederburg Baronne is my fave S.A. red. Try it if you can find it here. :thumbup:

$6 in S.A. - $18.50 in Oz.

http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...productId=1248

Will try and get a bottle, been on the wine route Stellenbosch paarl etc, is that area the most stunning are in the world :blink:

paddyo Sep 17th 2011 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Perthbum (Post 9626535)
Loads, never had a decent red yet compared to South African and Aussie reds, it is a myth that France does good reds, give me a Rioja from Spain a Shiraz from S.Africa any day.
That's not to say that some French white wines aren't good, because there are some, but for the most part, they need some work.

Not sure how you make that statement, I have drunk good reds from almost every good wine producing country, have toured France, South Africa and Aussie vineyards and there is no way I would come up with such an uneducated statement like you did! Thats uneducated as in wine tasting rather then general education by the way!! But..........

Perthbum Sep 17th 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 9626559)
Not sure how you make that statement, I have drunk good reds from almost every good wine producing country, have toured France, South Africa and Aussie vineyards and there is no way I would come up with such an uneducated statement like you did! Thats uneducated as in wine tasting rather then general education by the way!! But..........

Haaa, that's the wine snob in you coming out, if you read many wine experts views on French red's you will find that most agree that are very overrated and expensive except for the real expensive stuff (and even those sometimes), they are usually thin, and lacking in body.
I just find them vastly overrated.

MiekeNL Sep 17th 2011 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Perthbum (Post 9626589)
Haaa, that's the wine snob in you coming out, if you read many wine experts views on French red's you will find that most agree that are very overrated and expensive except for the real expensive stuff (and even those sometimes), they are usually thin, and lacking in body.

I think most wine growers will have some exceptionally good wine. Whether it agrees with your palate or not is another thing, but seriously writing it off shows ignorance imo:thumbup:

MiekeNL Sep 17th 2011 8:49 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 9626559)

I couldnt agree with your more!

paddyo Sep 17th 2011 2:42 pm

Mate, I have drunk wine from boxes and bottles and cups...a wine snob I am NOT!! lol I will drink anything when and where I need to but when I have a choice thehn why not use that choice to sample.
I really am not aure why you seem to think that just because I have sampled some fabulous French red wines that a) you think that I am a wine snob and b) that French red wines are crap...its quite a bizarre assumption!
The OP's question was asking what was our favorite, I gave mine but for some reason you seem to have taken offence and now denegrated all french red wines.
I drink aussie red wine, ahem a lot!!, but my favorite still is the Chatauneuf de pape, just my preference old chap and it seems I am not alone!

MiekeNL Sep 17th 2011 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 9627151)
Mate, I have drunk wine from boxes and bottles and cups...a wine snob I am NOT!! lol I will drink anything when and where I need to but when I have a choice thehn why not use that choice to sample.
I really am not aure why you seem to think that just because I have sampled some fabulous French red wines that a) you think that I am a wine snob and b) that French red wines are crap...its quite a bizarre assumption!
The OP's question was asking what was our favorite, I gave mine but for some reason you seem to have taken offence and now denegrated all french red wines.
I drink aussie red wine, ahem a lot!!, but my favorite still is the Chatauneuf de pape, just my preference old chap and it seems I am not alone!

Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Grenache noir is an excellent wine, I used to buy it in Aldi in France for a very good price.
White Châteauneuf-du-Pape is also nice when I have had it on the rare occasion.
I had a SA wine imported thro a NZ company which was so similar to port it was ecellent. No snobbery here either:p

Alfresco Sep 17th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Perthbum (Post 9626541)
Will try and get a bottle, been on the wine route Stellenbosch paarl etc, is that area the most stunning are in the world :blink:

Yep sure is stunningly beautiful there. :thumbup:

jorgon Sep 20th 2011 3:38 am

They are usually thin, and lacking in body.

Some cheaper French wines may be, yes. But you have to bear in mind that it is traditional in France to drink wine on all occasions not just with meals, so it is a good idea to have it this way. And when you drink this "regional" type wine with the food from the area too, they are a perfect mix.
Personally I am quite happy with a lighter style wine - on the correct occasion. I have noticed that in Australia these are also becoming more popular too.
In my opinion wine does not have to be full bodied to be enjoyable.