Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

best way to pack

best way to pack

Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default best way to pack

hi all

well finally received my boxes from 1st contact (4 days late!)

ive started packing but soon found out that im not quite sure how to pack my stuff.

Im taking a quilt, bedding, towels, clothes, books, mirrors, a few ornaments and a couple of glass vases not much.

However, weight limit for each box is 35kg, so would it be best to share everything between the boxes, ie some ornaments, books and clothes in each..etc to lessen damage to delicate stuff..or just use a each box for specified things, ie one for clothes, one for ornaments..you get my drift

yes i agree its rather a dumb question, but im just soooooooooooooooo tired..and cant think straight..

cheers for any advice..

regards

lolly
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:31 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best way to pack

I have packed about 12 boxes so far and have another 5 to go.

We packed things like books and dvd's to their own boxes but things like ornaments, I was sure to wrap and then pack in boxes that also are well padded out with clothes or blankets. Papers/photo's are in yet another box and I was sure to scan and keep to disc any photo's that mean a lot to me.

We kept a detailed list of what went into each box including value (where known) as we are insuring our stuff. The insurance paper's don't need as much info as we have listed, however should the worst happen - then we know exactly what items were in each box.

Be sure to pack any shoes at the top of a box - as they will inspect them. Also, make sure that you do not wrap anything wooden directly with bubble wrap as it can damage the item when it retains moisture.

We have been using silica gel packs to make sure that our boxes are moisture free and also have used lots of tissue paper and loose fill.

Good luck with your packing - it is a complete pain in the rear!

Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:45 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lollyno1
hi all

well finally received my boxes from 1st contact (4 days late!)

ive started packing but soon found out that im not quite sure how to pack my stuff.

Im taking a quilt, bedding, towels, clothes, books, mirrors, a few ornaments and a couple of glass vases not much.

However, weight limit for each box is 35kg, so would it be best to share everything between the boxes, ie some ornaments, books and clothes in each..etc to lessen damage to delicate stuff..or just use a each box for specified things, ie one for clothes, one for ornaments..you get my drift

yes i agree its rather a dumb question, but im just soooooooooooooooo tired..and cant think straight..

cheers for any advice..

regards

lolly
Hi Lol

I would also get those storage bags that the hoover compresses out of Argos - very useful for reducing the size of towels, quilts and linens - oh and heavier clothes.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Clairertw has a spectacular aura aboutClairertw has a spectacular aura aboutClairertw has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I have packed about 12 boxes so far and have another 5 to go.

We packed things like books and dvd's to their own boxes but things like ornaments, I was sure to wrap and then pack in boxes that also are well padded out with clothes or blankets. Papers/photo's are in yet another box and I was sure to scan and keep to disc any photo's that mean a lot to me.

We kept a detailed list of what went into each box including value (where known) as we are insuring our stuff. The insurance paper's don't need as much info as we have listed, however should the worst happen - then we know exactly what items were in each box.

Be sure to pack any shoes at the top of a box - as they will inspect them. Also, make sure that you do not wrap anything wooden directly with bubble wrap as it can damage the item when it retains moisture.

We have been using silica gel packs to make sure that our boxes are moisture free and also have used lots of tissue paper and loose fill.

Good luck with your packing - it is a complete pain in the rear!

OMG, how organised are you?!! fancy a jaunt down the M23 to do mine when you're done?? i leave 6 days after you and the boxes are still flatpacked in the garage... am putting it off!! good tips though - thanks a lot.

my big question - how the hell do you know when you've reached 35kg with only a set of home scales?! any tips appreciated...
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:52 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clairertw
OMG, how organised are you?!! fancy a jaunt down the M23 to do mine when you're done?? i leave 6 days after you and the boxes are still flatpacked in the garage... am putting it off!! good tips though - thanks a lot.

my big question - how the hell do you know when you've reached 35kg with only a set of home scales?! any tips appreciated...

Do the OH back test...if he says 'oh my back' you know that you are on target for that 35kgs
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Clairertw has a spectacular aura aboutClairertw has a spectacular aura aboutClairertw has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by busterboy
Do the OH back test...if he says 'oh my back' you know that you are on target for that 35kgs
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:15 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clairertw

We are sending our stuff with sevenseas and so we filled a book box up and are assuming it will be less than 40kgs which is the max weight. It took about 70 paperbacks and the OH could lift it with no issue.

When the OH lifted it, he said it was definately easier than carrying 2 x 20kg suitcases, so we haven't bothered to try and weigh them on home scales. With anything else, we have just guaged how much we can add - books will be heaviest items - as a box of dvd's will be lighter.

Sevenseas bring extra boxes with them - so we know if we are over, we can quickly pack something into another box. I don't think it will come to that though, as if a bookbox with paperbacks is about 40kgs - then lifting a tea chest up and guaging it's weight in relation to the book box is pretty easy.