Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way to increase Singapore Airlines baggage allowance!!

Best way to increase Singapore Airlines baggage allowance!!

Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Smile Best way to increase Singapore Airlines baggage allowance!!

Hi

We booked our one way flights with Singapore Airlines for the 24th April.
We validated our visas back in October and did not use any additional allowance then.

I phoned Singapore Airlines today and after waiting about 30 minutes was told that getting the 40kg limit was not a problem providing we have a visa stating indefinite stay and the check in staff would take this into account. (apparently they ignore the first 5kg over the normal 20kg limit!). The person I spoke to would not confirm this in writing though.

I then emailed customer services as follows:-

I have booked one way flights on 24th April from Heathrow to Brisbane with a 2 night stopover in Singapore.
I have just spoken to your customer services and asked about increasing the luggage allowance as we will be emigrating.
They informed me that providing we show our permanent residency visa we will be entitled to 40kg per person (we did not use any additional allowance when we flew in October to validate the visas).
I would be grateful if you could confirm this information is correct and that we are entitled to 40kg allowance as we obviously we do not want to experience any problems when we check in either at Heathrow or Singapore.

this was their response:-

Thank you for your email regarding migrant baggage allowance. The baggage allowance in Economy Class is 20kgs.
Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entitled to double baggage allowance if holding the correct visa.
The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to 40kgs baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in.
You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing 1 item alone does not exceed 32kgs for health and safety purposes.
If you are not holding the correct visa then we will only be able to waive 5kgs to bring the total baggage allowance to 25kgs. This again will be upon check in.
Its approximately GBP30.00 per per extra kg if taking excess baggage.
All passengers are entitled to 1 main piece of hand luggage at 7kgs. Hand luggage allowance can not be exceeded

I then replied:-

Please can you confirm what you mean by unused migrant visa?
Our visa does state that we can stay in Australia indefinitely but we visited in October to validate the visa (which is a standard requirement) but we did not use any additional baggage allowances last time we travelled as we were on return flights.
We just want to confirm that we can use the 40kg allowance as we do not want to arrive at the airport and we are carrying to much luggage.

and their response was:-

It must be the first time you are using the visa.

So now I am confused as from their first response I thought we were ok but from their second I don't think we are.

What have other people done to get round this?
Ideally I would like something in writing from them but they are not co-operating!

Cheers

AnitaB
Old Mar 7th 2006, 10:19 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way to increase Singapore Airlines baggage allowance!!

Originally Posted by AnitaB
Hi

We validated our visas back in October and did not use any additional allowance then.

I phoned Singapore Airlines today and after waiting about 30 minutes was told that getting the 40kg limit was not a problem providing we have a visa stating indefinite stay and the check in staff would take this into account. (apparently they ignore the first 5kg over the normal 20kg limit!). The person I spoke to would not confirm this in writing though.

I have booked one way flights on 24th April from Heathrow to Brisbane with a 2 night stopover in Singapore.
I have just spoken to your customer services and asked about increasing the luggage allowance as we will be emigrating.
They informed me that providing we show our permanent residency visa we will be entitled to 40kg per person (we did not use any additional allowance when we flew in October to validate the visas).
I would be grateful if you could confirm this information is correct and that we are entitled to 40kg allowance as we obviously we do not want to experience any problems when we check in either at Heathrow or Singapore.

Thank you for your email regarding migrant baggage allowance. The baggage allowance in Economy Class is 20kgs.
Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entitled to double baggage allowance if holding the correct visa.
The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to 40kgs baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in.
You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing 1 item alone does not exceed 32kgs for health and safety purposes.
If you are not holding the correct visa then we will only be able to waive 5kgs to bring the total baggage allowance to 25kgs. This again will be upon check in.
All passengers are entitled to 1 main piece of hand luggage at 7kgs. Hand luggage allowance can not be exceeded

Our visa does state that we can stay in Australia indefinitely but we visited in October to validate the visa (which is a standard requirement) but we did not use any additional baggage allowances last time we travelled as we were on return flights.
We just want to confirm that we can use the 40kg allowance as we do not want to arrive at the airport and we are carrying to much luggage.

So now I am confused as from their first response I thought we were ok but from their second I don't think we are.

Ideally I would like something in writing from them but they are not co-operating!

Cheers

AnitaB
You can onll get the 40kg allowance on your INITIAL entry to Oz whether it be a return ticket or not Im afraid
Old Mar 7th 2006, 10:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Biggy is right - an UNUSED visa, is one that hasn't been validated. You only get the extra on the first trip on the PR visa.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:58 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
You can onll get the 40kg allowance on your INITIAL entry to Oz whether it be a return ticket or not Im afraid
This is correct We were told this in no uncertain terms at check-in at Heathrow 3 weeks ago
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:37 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

How about if you go on a TR visa?

Suni
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best way to increase Singapore Airlines baggage allowance!!

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
How about if you go on a TR visa?

Suni
If you go on TR I recommend you fly via the US - then you get 46kg each whatever your visa situation.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

We ended up getting 30Kg (we had already validated) by writing a letter that we would understand fully that we could not get the 40Kg but if they could see there way to increasing it to 30Kg as it would help us out etc etc.

Hi

Cheers

AnitaB
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

We had already validated ours,however i emailed their customer service stating in the email that i had already validated it ,they emailed back saying it was ok and i took that email to the airport with me.I also told them which flight i was on so i think it was already noted as i didnt have to show them anything at the airport.That was for four of us so we had plenty ,plenty,allowance,
good luck
donna
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:19 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Seems fair enough to me. Its not mandatory or a standard requirement to validate your visa then return to the UK. When you first enter on your PR visa then you are an Australian PR despite the fact that you then choose to leave.

Otherwise everyone with a visa could more or less claim the same thing each time they flew - which although would be nice I reckon the airline isnt that silly.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Act ignorant and be smiley and polite. It was only me with a visa and I had validated but when we checked in, thought we had pared down to 20kg each (4 of us), nothing was said, only when we got to Singapore we saw on some paperwork the check in lady had written the weights down and they equalled 97kg (as well as seven cabin bags which were definitely over their 7kg). Worried a bit when leaving Singapore but again nothing said. Both flights were full so it wasn't because of space. I assumed they saw the one way tickets and decided to be nice.

Damned if we were going to draw their attention to the amount
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:00 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

How do they know that you have validated your visa? I have just come back from a recce to Oz and all they did was stamp a page of my passsport in and out of the country. Is it this stamp in the pages that they look for to see if you've been to Oz before. Also how does the Oz government know that I have validated or is it a case of big brother is watching?

cheers
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frogboy
How do they know that you have validated your visa? I have just come back from a recce to Oz and all they did was stamp a page of my passsport in and out of the country. Is it this stamp in the pages that they look for to see if you've been to Oz before. Also how does the Oz government know that I have validated or is it a case of big brother is watching?

cheers
As far as I know it's all linked by computers. Big Brother is indeed watching
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frogboy

cheers
Australia's computer system for immigrants is very good. They know precisely when and where you arrived and how long you were here. You were definitely logged mate
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Rubbish I am afraid.

We validated our visas last year..............easter 2005
My wife and kids flew out on a one way ticket January 2006 and got increased baggage from 20kgs to 40kgs

Airline = EMIRATES

PS..........you can also take one bag of golf clubs extra on top of this allowance, which is great news for me.

We had to fax page from passport showing our visas and that it was indefinite.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:01 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Rubbish I am afraid.

We validated our visas last year..............easter 2005
My wife and kids flew out on a one way ticket January 2006 and got increased baggage from 20kgs to 40kgs

Airline = EMIRATES

PS..........you can also take one bag of golf clubs extra on top of this allowance, which is great news for me.

We had to fax page from passport showing our visas and that it was indefinite.
The OP was asking about Singapore Airlines though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.