Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way of heating houses in Oz?

Best way of heating houses in Oz?

Old May 21st 2010, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Perthflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way of heating houses in Oz?

Moved into a new house and it is extremely cold at night.

I believe using the reverse cycle air con to heat the lounge would be expensive.

There seems to be a myriad of choice when I go into the Good Guys to look at portable heaters.

Any tips on what I should buy: I am looking to heat a normal sized lounge with elec rather than gas...
Old May 21st 2010, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best way of heating houses in Oz?

All portable heating is expensive. Ceramic blowers or bar fires IMO chew up the most in electricity. Best bet the upright oil-filled radiators - turn it up on full until the room's warm enough then back down to low to retain the heat.
Old May 21st 2010, 2:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon a gas heater with an in built fan is the best/cheapest option.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:12 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Not the cheapest, but a woodburner heats the whole house and ours is lovely and toasty at night ...

For a single room tho, them small cheap 2kw heaters don't use up half as much leccy as you'd think. My leccy metre tells me it's using 30c ph when on full load and drops to about 12c ph when switched to the 750w setting. Room is warm in 10 mins and 12c ph to KEEP warm over $1.5 ph compared to the air con on heat mode.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:15 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Your a bit late for the insulation grant or you could have sat outside & warmed yourself as your roof burned
Old May 21st 2010, 3:16 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Baked beans and brussels sprouts.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:25 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Not the cheapest, but a woodburner heats the whole house and ours is lovely and toasty at night ...

For a single room tho, them small cheap 2kw heaters don't use up half as much leccy as you'd think. My leccy metre tells me it's using 30c ph when on full load and drops to about 12c ph when switched to the 750w setting. Room is warm in 10 mins and 12c ph to KEEP warm over $1.5 ph compared to the air con on heat mode.
Yes a woodburner is the best, mine has a fan which pumps hot all all through the house, l find log fires and woodburners create far more heat then electric heaters .
Old May 21st 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Your a bit late for the insulation grant or you could have sat outside & warmed yourself as your roof burned
Old May 21st 2010, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I use plug in radiators. I find they heat the room pretty well and then click on and off to maintain that temperature. They are also great to warm your clothes on on cold mornings!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 21st 2010, 6:41 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Perthflyer

I believe using the reverse cycle air con to heat the lounge would be expensive.

There seems to be a myriad of choice when I go into the Good Guys to look at portable heaters.

Any tips on what I should buy: I am looking to heat a normal sized lounge with elec rather than gas...
Gas heater is the best option and cuddles!
Old May 21st 2010, 8:03 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes a woodburner is the best, mine has a fan which pumps hot all all through the house, l find log fires and woodburners create far more heat then electric heaters .
Yeah a full fire goin on and fan on no3 and we're sorted ...
Old May 21st 2010, 8:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
And extremely cheap to run. Provided you have an awful lot of 'dying' trees on your block of course.
Old May 21st 2010, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Perthflyer

Log burner - we had one in UK and loved it, now we have one here, it's on now and is just lovely to look at and to heat the house
Old May 21st 2010, 10:45 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I SO want a Wood Burner!....but persuading my Husband is a different matter I feel like a six year old asking for a pet and promising to feed and look after it.

Limited reverse cycle,using the oven for dinners,roof insulation, thick curtains, cuddly blankets and early bedtimes here

Jan
Old May 21st 2010, 10:49 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Cardies, slippers and spicy food

We got some oil-filled radiators that worked really well, though we were in a place that didn't have properly fitting windows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.