Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from ChCh to Wanaka?

Best way to get from ChCh to Wanaka?

Old Oct 10th 2003, 5:19 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough
Default Best way to get from ChCh to Wanaka?

Hi there all,

Just after some advice, as i'm checking flights from London to Queenstown, everywhere ive checked prices are £1000/1200 pp
But if i fly from London to ChCh its £475 pp a hell of a saving and money we need !

Anyone know the best quickest as we gonna be jetlagged, and cheapest way to get from ChCh to Wanaka !

thanks all.....i just want to be there so this nightmare of sorting kids dog hubby packing passports house sale out is over ....and i can enjoy the lovely scenery and life we have waiting in NZ

Old Oct 10th 2003, 6:35 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

there is only two real ways to do it and they're both about the same in time only the pig route is longer.They are both pretty empty roads and the chances are when you get off highway 1 you might see 20 cars for the next 200kms.
The Pig route(as its known) goes from highway 1 at Palmerston over to Alexandra and its a wonderful view right through the heart of the high country.The other route is from between Timaru and Oamaru and goes up the side of the Waitaki valley and over to Omarama.Also very empty but very straight and feels like it goes on for ever.The Plains at Omarama are quite amazing....soo big.Either way,both interesting and empty with not many gas stations. Its a 4-5 hour journey and there are mobile speed cameras in the empty stretches of high country
Old Oct 10th 2003, 7:45 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

have you looked into local air NZ flights from Chch to queenstown?

I'm not sure how you quoted the London to Queenstown flight, but I'm sure a local AirNZ flight wouldn't cost £500 pp!!

You'd still have to drive a little way, so either way you'll have to get driving. It's the only way to travel around NZ
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:59 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

Default hiya,

Originally posted by jandjuk
have you looked into local air NZ flights from Chch to queenstown?

I'm not sure how you quoted the London to Queenstown flight, but I'm sure a local AirNZ flight wouldn't cost £500 pp!!

You'd still have to drive a little way, so either way you'll have to get driving. It's the only way to travel around NZ
Old Oct 10th 2003, 9:04 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

Default Re: hiya,

Originally posted by TiggerLottie
oops that went wrong !

Yeah we are possibly gonna look at booking into a hotel for the night at ChCh then getting a flight from there to queenstown the next day,

but the drive sounds very nice, just getting a car sorted out once we arrive maybe a problem...but we will see im sure we will sort it out

Thanks for the info people ...
Old Oct 10th 2003, 9:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way to get from ChCh to Wanaka?

Originally posted by TiggerLottie
Hi there all,

Just after some advice, as i'm checking flights from London to Queenstown, everywhere ive checked prices are £1000/1200 pp
But if i fly from London to ChCh its £475 pp a hell of a saving and money we need !

Anyone know the best quickest as we gonna be jetlagged, and cheapest way to get from ChCh to Wanaka !

thanks all.....i just want to be there so this nightmare of sorting kids dog hubby packing passports house sale out is over ....and i can enjoy the lovely scenery and life we have waiting in NZ

Surely you can find a travel agent that is not a dick head and can put a little effort in finding the right deal for you. Maybe fly singapore to Oz and get a one way from Sydney to Queenstown!
Old Oct 10th 2003, 9:40 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

can you fly direct sydney to chch? they probably go via chch anyway...?
Old Oct 10th 2003, 9:49 pm

can you fly direct sydney to chch? they probably go via chch anyway...?
You can fly Syd to either direct. I thought they wanted quickest most direct route Lon - queenstown.

Anyway it is a matter of finding a good travel agent who knows how to trick the system. For my intinererary for my holiday SYD - Narita - London
Barcelona - Narita then Osaka - Syd I had a good agent who did the above for a cheap deal. On line it would have cost 6 times as much as it is open jaw in 2 places.

You sometimes have to prompt the lazy bastards and make them earn their money.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 10:06 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

Originally posted by bondipom
You can fly Syd to either direct. I thought they wanted quickest most direct route Lon - queenstown.

Anyway it is a matter of finding a good travel agent who knows how to trick the system. For my intinererary for my holiday SYD - Narita - London
Barcelona - Narita then Osaka - Syd I had a good agent who did the above for a cheap deal. On line it would have cost 6 times as much as it is open jaw in 2 places.

You sometimes have to prompt the lazy bastards and make them earn their money.
Hiya,

All the quotes i have got have all been online, just getting a guide of costs and stuff, will do a swoop of travel agents once we have a buyer for house and can put prospective dates in to action...Thanks

Keep posting i love this site and enjoy reading all posts and giving my opinion where i can..although it mostly be wrong heehee

Old Oct 11th 2003, 5:25 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

that's interesting. didn't know you could fly sydney to queenstown direct. useful to know.

Would give a slightly warped (but beautiful) view of NZ flying in to queenstown as a first time visitor to NZ. They may have one now, but last time I was in queenstown they didn't even have a proper big supermarket! And I doubt wanaka will have anything but a small one!

Beautiful introduction though.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 5:52 am

that's interesting. didn't know you could fly sydney to queenstown direct. useful to know.

Would give a slightly warped (but beautiful) view of NZ flying in to queenstown as a first time visitor to NZ. They may have one now, but last time I was in queenstown they didn't even have a proper big supermarket! And I doubt wanaka will have anything but a small one!

I am wrong the flights are not direct but go via Auckland or Christchurch. Still the fares were less that the 500gbp extra that was quoted. For some reason I remember flights to Queenstown when I was last at Sydney airport.

Auckland Queenstown is quoted for 200 to 320 NZD for ow on the ANZ site.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 8:09 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Must be a while since you've been to Queenstown and Wanaka then as its now an international airport(haha) and theres loads of supermarkets....even the warehouse is here now!

Tried to have lunch in town today,hard to get a parking spot and tourists everywhere.It was chock a block,but its still brill really.

Last edited by deedee; Oct 11th 2003 at 8:15 am.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 11:22 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

yeah I suppose it was about 5 or 6 years ago - time flies...

I might have just missed it as well!