Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way to bring money to Australia which gives good exchange rates.

Best way to bring money to Australia which gives good exchange rates.

Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice
Default Best ways to bring money to Australia which give good exchange rates.

I am planning to carry very little cash just about AUD 1500-2000 to Oz with me. I am not a lavish spender but at the same time not stingy at all.

I have an account with a local Bank which has no overseas branch and they don't give traveller's cheques (their new policies etc)

However, I do have their debit card which if I use in Oz, I'll get a very poor exchange rate.

I understand that I need to open a bank account once I arrive in Oz. Once I do that, I see 2 possiblities:

1: I can have someone transfer the money directly to my Oz bank account.
2: Or have someone send the money probably through Western Union.

Which is the best method that will give me good exchange rate and will be a secure method. Or any other good recommendations you have.

Please share experience/comments.

Thanks!

Last edited by live2learn; Aug 10th 2009 at 6:50 am.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best way to bring money to Australia which gives good exchange rates.

errr!! bring it with you! that would be free, you can bring up to $10,000 I believe!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice
Default Re: Best way to bring money to Australia which gives good exchange rates.

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
errr!! bring it with you! that would be free, you can bring up to $10,000 I believe!
I know that, but where will I keep the "$10,000". I don't wanna carry that much with me everywhere.

Kindly re-read me first post.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:03 am
ReMember?

G'day_Australia! is an unknown quantity at this point

You could transfer out of your current bank into one of the Aussie banks in London and then transfer to your Aussie account here when set up...that's what we did anyway.