Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way to approach prospective employers

Best way to approach prospective employers

Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Trixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to all
Default Best way to approach prospective employers

Hello all.

OH and I have decided to take the plunge and attempt to move to Sydney (1st choice) on a 457 visa.

OH is a quantity surveyor and this is who we are hoping will get sponsored.

We located a couple of jobs via an agency and OH mailed his CV to them the end of last week but we've heard nothing yet.

My questions are...

Sorry if they sound simple, I have been scouring the net to find out as much as I can. I think I have my head around the real estate (well enough to give us an idea).

Thank you
    Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:03 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
    Default Re: Best way to approach prospective employers

Originally Posted by Trixietoes
    Hello all.

OH and I have decided to take the plunge and attempt to move to Sydney (1st choice) on a 457 visa.

We located a couple of jobs via an agency and OH mailed his CV to them the end of last week but we've heard nothing yet.

My questions are...

Sorry if they sound simple, I have been scouring the net to find out as much as I can. I think I have my head around the real estate (well enough to give us an idea).

Thank you
      recruiters IMO are a waste of space. Since they get paid for placement, they'd be inclined to have a local candidate hired quicker than wait for an overseas one to go through all the motions with the visa and the move etc. Unless that is an opening that requires a very specific skill set that is not available locally, in which case some may bite. Generally though you will get no response from them at all, very few would bother writing something along the lines "well, if you already had your visa, then ...".

Re. doing your own visa app of such sort - not possible. The essential part of the process is the employer nominating an open position with the DIAC. If they have no such nomination, they can not be a sponsor. No nomination - no visa application.

If they are reluctant to go ahead with the process, but would hire you if someone else handled this, may be you can gain some ground by talking to one of the bodyshopping agencies, that could process the visa and then subcontract your services. This used to be very popular a few years ago (especially in IT consulting), but I have kind of lost interest in this since getting my PR, so do check if this is still viable or there are any new regulations in that area.
      Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:06 pm
      Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
      Smile Re: Best way to approach prospective employers

Phone them up or you will never hear anything. Emailing them is as effective as sending your CV to my Granny.

I set up 3 interviews in Oz by ringing companies and recruiters before I left England.

BB
      Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:49 pm
      Forum Regular

Trixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to allTrixietoes is a name known to all

Yeah I thought as much, we'll get on skype tomorrow and Monday and start ringing agents and companies.

Thank you both for your replies
      Old Feb 11th 2011, 3:35 am
      Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.

My questions are...

Thank you
        Have you thought about applying for a skilled migrant visa?
        Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:13 am
        Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Dressed.
        Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:29 am
        BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Yeah from what I have heard thats normal.

[*]Is this usual? i.e not getting a reply in the following couple of days?
        Well its often normal not to hear anything at all even if your are a citizen, if you mention sponsorship then there is a good chance its heading for the round filing cabinet. Then again your luck might be in.... all about persevering.

[*]Can you apply for your own 457 visa if the employer is then willing to give the go ahead - in case some are reluctant to go through the process themselves.
        You have to apply for the visa itself yourself, but the employer has to be willing to nominate you.

Either you pay for the visa or the employer pays it does not matter but the employer has to to pay for the nomination and carry out the required paperwork before they can give you the nod.

Really you cant sponsor yourself there has to be a lot of input from the employer, 457 is getting more popular than they used to be but most employers view it as a hassle. My own company has sponsored about 5 people on 457 over the last 7 years, they are open to it. Other employer just don't want to know.
        Old Feb 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
        Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
        Dressed.
        I really must remember that one
        Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:05 pm
        Forum Regular

Ahh ok, probably changed from a few years ago when OH got a job in Sydney, they were going to do all the visa stuff for us.

I knew you couldn't sponsor yourself

Re PR .... I went through this process with an Ex about 10 years ago, it took 2 years and a lot of cash. We then split up and I never used it - oh the shame . However, it is not something that we (new OH) want to go through if we don't have to yet as I have heard that once/if we secure a 457 it is possible to apply for PR after say 6 months or so? (or do you have to wait longer?) and it takes considerably less time.
        Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:49 pm
        BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Ahh ok, probably changed from a few years ago when OH got a job in Sydney, they were going to do all the visa stuff for us.

Re PR ...

.. I went through this process with an Ex about 10 years ago, it took 2 years and a lot of cash. We then split up and I never used it - oh the shame . However, it is not something that we (new OH) want to go through if we don't have to yet as I have heard that once/if we secure a 457 it is possible to apply for PR after say 6 months or so? (or do you have to wait longer?) and it takes considerably less time.
        If you're lucky and find an employer that wants/needs you they will do everything and with speed, this is how I came over in 2005, on a 457.

I can't remember exactly how long it was, but in 2006 we got PR, then 2009 became citizens.

In my line of work, Bernard Kelly (BKP Search & Selection) is as well regarded as any headhunter can be. Check out the website if you like.

Good luck.
        Old Feb 12th 2011, 2:21 am
        Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Re PR .... I went through this process with an Ex about 10 years ago, it took 2 years and a lot of cash. We then split up and I never used it - oh the shame . However, it is not something that we (new OH) want to go through if we don't have to yet as I have heard that once/if we secure a 457 it is possible to apply for PR after say 6 months or so? (or do you have to wait longer?) and it takes considerably less time.
        If you are eligible for PR, have skills assessment etc, then you can apply for PR whwnever you like. The only link between a 457 visa and PR is that if you happen to do 2 years on a 457 you do not have to do a skills assessment should your employer wish to sponsor you for the permanent employer sponsored visa.

There is no rule about how long you have to do on a 457 before you can apply for PR. The 457 is a temporary visa, always will be and does not provide an automatic path to PR no matter how long one is on it.
        Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:36 am
        Forum Regular

Thank you all very much for the informative information.

OH is a Quantity Surveyor (private not contractor) so his job is on the desired list (or was) and he has over 10 years experience and is chartered too. So with regards to qualifying for PR there is no reason on paper why he shouldn't be.

I checked out Bernard Kelly's site (thank you) but there isn't anything as yet in his field, but I'll keep an eye on it all the same.

We're going to scan the net this weekend to see what jobs there are about that sound like they fit and either stay up late on Sunday or get up early on Monday and give a few a call.

I'll let you know what happens.