Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best value to size items to take when emmigrating

Best value to size items to take when emmigrating

Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best value to size items to take when emmigrating

Hi,

I was reading threads about things to take to Oz when moving. However, much of these seem to miss out the size to saving aspect .

silly example: toilet paper may be half price in the uk...but stuffing your suitcase full of toilet rolls may only save you about $3
because of the size...the opportunity cost (remember your economics lessons!) would be a suitcase full of diamonds.

Ok...I'll start of with a real example:

I just bought 6 bottles of Shaving Oils @ £1.84 a bottle = £11.04.
(This should do me about 3/12 years!)

In Oz...the same OIL would cost $65.7 (2-3 times the cost)

AND at an inch high these would ALL fit within a washbag.

Does anyone else have any recommendations? (besides recommending I see a shrink!)

TC
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best value to size items to take when emmigrating

Books - but then they probably lose out on the weight volume thingy.

Out of interest I tried one of those King of Shaves shaving oils a few years ago and couldn't really get it to work. Is it something you have to work at to get right?

Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Books - but then they probably lose out on the weight volume thingy.

Out of interest I tried one of those King of Shaves shaving oils a few years ago and couldn't really get it to work. Is it something you have to work at to get right?

Wet beard with hot water...apply a few drop and shave. Rinse blade REGULARLY!!!

To be honest though. THESE oils are better still.

I am being tottaly honest when I say that I haven't had such a clean shave since I was 15!!!!!!! Seriously recommended.

(you can buy somerset oil in Sainsbury's for £3 a bottle)

TC
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Not on thread sorry, but my OH uses Oils a lot and they stop him getting any ingrowing hairs, rash etc BUT recently tried Lush soap cremes and they are even better!

On thread - books definately!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi,

I was reading threads about things to take to Oz when moving. However, much of these seem to miss out the size to saving aspect .

silly example: toilet paper may be half price in the uk...but stuffing your suitcase full of toilet rolls may only save you about $3
because of the size...the opportunity cost (remember your economics lessons!) would be a suitcase full of diamonds.

Does anyone else have any recommendations? (besides recommending I see a shrink!)

TC
which oil is this?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpa34
which oil is this?

http://www.somersets.com/products_shavingoils.php

Enjoy...seriously good...and leaves skin tingling for an hour afterwards.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi,

TC

Have a suggestion, Gold earrings, like little type stud ones or set with stones, expensive in aus, so go to argos, buy a few pairs and will do the missus for xmas, b'day and anniversary. Infact all decent jewellery i hear is expensive in aus.

sarah-jayne
Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:14 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Zamels do some nice inexpensive jewellry and so do goldmark

I find Argos alright for cheap stuff, but the quality isn't the same as getting it from a proper jewellers.

I will miss Argos
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Have a suggestion, Gold earrings, like little type stud ones or set with stones, expensive in aus, so go to argos, buy a few pairs and will do the missus for xmas, b'day and anniversary. Infact all decent jewellery i hear is expensive in aus.

sarah-jayne

I certainly will not buy any gift for my wife from Argos !!!!!!! (says TC as his wife reads his posts)
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, books, I agree. Have been stocking up a bit with kids ones. I tend to read charity shop paperbacks and use the library, so will do same there.
Lillets! Bonjela,(for my sis in NSW.. but they sell it now I think.), Also eyelash dye kits.These become illegal in Oz every so often. Keeps some minister in a job I spose.
Not sure what else, but I am very tempted to take a toddlers ride on tractor and trailer. UK price £45 vs Aus price of £90. :scared:
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:51 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be taking loads of pairs of jeans. I've got short legs, and remember finding jeans to fit being a nightmare in Oz.

Gill
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
I'll be taking loads of pairs of jeans. I've got short legs, and remember finding jeans to fit being a nightmare in Oz.

Gill
OMG is that right, I also have this prob need 29 inch (key not working!!) cant you get that length then? do all aussies have long legs

Niki
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seasprite
hmmm, books, I agree. Have been stocking up a bit with kids ones. I tend to read charity shop paperbacks and use the library, so will do same there.
Lillets! Bonjela,(for my sis in NSW.. but they sell it now I think.), Also eyelash dye kits.These become illegal in Oz every so often. Keeps some minister in a job I spose.
Not sure what else, but I am very tempted to take a toddlers ride on tractor and trailer. UK price £45 vs Aus price of £90. :scared:
What age are you talking about? Just that you can get a John Deere 6100 for $109 for a 2yo. Although the bigger one with the front end loader is $165.

Have a look here.

Old Aug 11th 2006, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
do all aussies have long legs

Niki
no they don't!!
i need 30W 33L and can i find any-no i bloody can't! any that are long enough i could fit in the waist twice-any that fit round the waist and i look like a right numpty!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:54 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Fabric - I love Osborne and Little and others similar. VERY expensive here. Even cheaper fabric like some of the stuff that Crowsons do is expensive. In actuall fact is anyone coming out to Melbourne who wouldn't mind putting some in their container for me!!!?