Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

best travel agents/airlines

best travel agents/airlines

Old Jan 26th 2005, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Default best travel agents/airlines

has anyone got any recommendations as to which company to book with, or did you book direct with the airline ???

we are flying in to perth

any help most welcome

pootle
Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: best travel agents/airlines

Hi

We used www.travelbag.co.uk, very helpful and good prices too, I rang them to sort everything out.

Teresa
Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

www.austravel.com always seem to have the best prices.

Actually on the subject of flights, I could do with a bit of advice.
I'm new on here by the way so bare with me!

I'm coming out on a working holiday visa in July but don't really know how long I will be staying for. Is it possible to book reasonably cheap flights with an open return, or that allows you to change your return date for no/little extra cost?

Thanks,
Dianne

Last edited by DianneH68; Jan 26th 2005 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DianneH68

I'm coming out on a working holiday visa in July but don't really know how long I will be staying for. Is it possible to book reasonably cheap flights with an open return, or that allows you to change your return date for no/little extra cost?

Thanks,
Dianne
hi - i flew with britannia - they do a special charter fare when i camre out for a holiday £499 i think it was - although it was quite a long time ago - but that one i know you could change without any cost - not sure if that is the case now

pootle

ps - does anyone know what restricted economy is???
Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:47 pm
Scootascum member.

scooterpom will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: best travel agents/airlines

Hiya,

Going back a few years when I was doing the backpacking thing round Oz (in my dim and distant youth), when I booked my flight you had to give a return date, but you could change it at no cost (very useful when I finally ran out of money, credit, goodwill of my mum to send me more etc. and had to come back early).

I got my tickets through Travelbag and they were really good at sorting all this kinda stuff out.

Cheers
Scooterpom.

Originally Posted by DianneH68

Thanks,
Dianne
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scooterpom
Hiya,

in my dim and distant youth
Cheers
Scooterpom.
Must have been dim and distant if you in to scooters
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about

Try www.airline-network.co.uk

J.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

We used Travelbag for a holiday here 18 months ago and then we used Trailfinders to migrate here in September last year. With apologies to Swifts, Trailfinders wins, hands down.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:07 pm
Scootascum member.

Originally Posted by The Druid
Must have been dim and distant if you in to scooters
'It's a way of life'!!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootle26
has anyone got any recommendations as to which company to book with, or did you book direct with the airline ???
I've always found Thomas Cook do a good deal. Online at least, mebbe not so much on the high street.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:43 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

any help most welcome

pootle
I don't know about the other airlines' websites, but I enquired about the price of a single fare to Adelaide with BA on their website a while ago and it quoted over £2500 in economy

The internet sites mentioned above seem best but I would be interested to know if anyone has asked a travel agent for a quote to see if they get any discounts.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

baloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
I don't know about the other airlines' websites, but I enquired about the price of a single fare to Adelaide with BA on their website a while ago and it quoted over £2500 in economy
Try again now.... they've updated their website so you can say 'Economy lowest', and then choose your dates but use the +-14 days option. Then the results show you all the flights on different dates, and the prices for each leg. It will show you different prices depending on the day you choose. Quite often you can get it as low as £282 per leg, so £564 return. A lot better than £2500 And still a lot cheaper than Sing or Qantas when I compared to their sites when shopping for flights.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:56 am
Scootascum member.

Question Re: best travel agents/airlines

Originally Posted by baloo
Try again now.... they've updated their website so you can say 'Economy lowest', and then choose your dates but use the +-14 days option. Then the results show you all the flights on different dates, and the prices for each leg. It will show you different prices depending on the day you choose. Quite often you can get it as low as £282 per leg, so £564 return. A lot better than £2500 And still a lot cheaper than Sing or Qantas when I compared to their sites when shopping for flights.
Does anyone know what the baggage allowance is for emigrants on BA flights? Do you get anything over the standard 20kg per person? And can you have stop-overs?
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Fastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant future

any help most welcome

pootle
We booked our Sydney flights through http://www.leestravel.co.uk; they always seem to have some pretty good deals.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Best travel agent? We've used Quest, Travelbag, Airline Network and Traifinders among others. The best we've used is Quest. Travelbag has gone downhill after being taken over (eBookers) in my opinion. It was much better in the past (when a couple of Aussies owned it). Austravel, Airline Network and Trailfinders I've found to be more expensive on 'like for like' flights, particularly Trailfinders who seem to inflate their prices to give you 'free' vouchers, which in our case we can't use because we don't need accommodation or car hire. I would say that it is a bit 'pot luck' because it really depends on which agent you get and not which travel agent you use.

Best airlines? There are lots of very good ones and I would include Emirates, Singapore, Cathay Pacific and Lauda in this (purely from my experience). There are lots of 'so so' airlines and I would include BA and Qantas in this category. Now, if you could have Lauda food on Emirates flights with 'Singapore girl' hostesses! In truth there isn't a great deal of difference between the very good ones.

Extra baggage allowance for migrants you have to ensure this is arranged before you get to the airport and you have it in writing. I know Singapore have the extra allowance and no doubt others do.

I bet 'Poll' will come in on Emirates.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.