British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   best travel agents/airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/best-travel-agents-airlines-280154/)

pootle26 Jan 26th 2005 3:59 pm

best travel agents/airlines

has anyone got any recommendations as to which company to book with, or did you book direct with the airline ???

we are flying in to perth

any help most welcome

pootle

Teresa Jan 26th 2005 4:16 pm

Re: best travel agents/airlines

Hi

We used www.travelbag.co.uk, very helpful and good prices too, I rang them to sort everything out.

Teresa

DianneH68 Jan 26th 2005 4:29 pm

www.austravel.com always seem to have the best prices.

Actually on the subject of flights, I could do with a bit of advice.
I'm new on here by the way so bare with me!

I'm coming out on a working holiday visa in July but don't really know how long I will be staying for. Is it possible to book reasonably cheap flights with an open return, or that allows you to change your return date for no/little extra cost?

Thanks,
Dianne

pootle26 Jan 26th 2005 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by DianneH68

I'm coming out on a working holiday visa in July but don't really know how long I will be staying for. Is it possible to book reasonably cheap flights with an open return, or that allows you to change your return date for no/little extra cost?

Thanks,
Dianne

hi - i flew with britannia - they do a special charter fare when i camre out for a holiday £499 i think it was - although it was quite a long time ago - but that one i know you could change without any cost - not sure if that is the case now

pootle

ps - does anyone know what restricted economy is???

scooterpom Jan 26th 2005 4:47 pm

Hiya,

Going back a few years when I was doing the backpacking thing round Oz (in my dim and distant youth), when I booked my flight you had to give a return date, but you could change it at no cost (very useful when I finally ran out of money, credit, goodwill of my mum to send me more etc. and had to come back early).

I got my tickets through Travelbag and they were really good at sorting all this kinda stuff out.

Cheers
Scooterpom.

Originally Posted by DianneH68

Thanks,
Dianne

The Druid Jan 26th 2005 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by scooterpom
Hiya,

in my dim and distant youth
Cheers
Scooterpom.

Must have been dim and distant if you in to scooters :D

Three P's Jan 26th 2005 6:02 pm

Try www.airline-network.co.uk

J.

Neil S Jan 26th 2005 8:06 pm

We used Travelbag for a holiday here 18 months ago and then we used Trailfinders to migrate here in September last year. With apologies to Swifts, Trailfinders wins, hands down.

scooterpom Jan 26th 2005 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by The Druid
Must have been dim and distant if you in to scooters :D

'It's a way of life'!!:cool:

wmoore Jan 26th 2005 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by pootle26
has anyone got any recommendations as to which company to book with, or did you book direct with the airline ???

I've always found Thomas Cook do a good deal. Online at least, mebbe not so much on the high street.

worzel Jan 27th 2005 8:43 am

any help most welcome

pootle

I don't know about the other airlines' websites, but I enquired about the price of a single fare to Adelaide with BA on their website a while ago and it quoted over £2500 in economy :eek:

The internet sites mentioned above seem best but I would be interested to know if anyone has asked a travel agent for a quote to see if they get any discounts.

baloo Jan 27th 2005 10:15 am

Originally Posted by worzel
I don't know about the other airlines' websites, but I enquired about the price of a single fare to Adelaide with BA on their website a while ago and it quoted over £2500 in economy :eek:

Try again now.... they've updated their website so you can say 'Economy lowest', and then choose your dates but use the +-14 days option. Then the results show you all the flights on different dates, and the prices for each leg. It will show you different prices depending on the day you choose. Quite often you can get it as low as £282 per leg, so £564 return. A lot better than £2500 ;) And still a lot cheaper than Sing or Qantas when I compared to their sites when shopping for flights.

scooterpom Jan 27th 2005 10:56 am

Originally Posted by baloo
Try again now.... they've updated their website so you can say 'Economy lowest', and then choose your dates but use the +-14 days option. Then the results show you all the flights on different dates, and the prices for each leg. It will show you different prices depending on the day you choose. Quite often you can get it as low as £282 per leg, so £564 return. A lot better than £2500 ;) And still a lot cheaper than Sing or Qantas when I compared to their sites when shopping for flights.

Does anyone know what the baggage allowance is for emigrants on BA flights? Do you get anything over the standard 20kg per person? And can you have stop-overs?

Fastfunker Jan 27th 2005 11:20 am

any help most welcome

pootle

We booked our Sydney flights through http://www.leestravel.co.uk; they always seem to have some pretty good deals. :)

OzTennis Jan 27th 2005 11:34 am

Best travel agent? We've used Quest, Travelbag, Airline Network and Traifinders among others. The best we've used is Quest. Travelbag has gone downhill after being taken over (eBookers) in my opinion. It was much better in the past (when a couple of Aussies owned it). Austravel, Airline Network and Trailfinders I've found to be more expensive on 'like for like' flights, particularly Trailfinders who seem to inflate their prices to give you 'free' vouchers, which in our case we can't use because we don't need accommodation or car hire. I would say that it is a bit 'pot luck' because it really depends on which agent you get and not which travel agent you use.

Best airlines? There are lots of very good ones and I would include Emirates, Singapore, Cathay Pacific and Lauda in this (purely from my experience). There are lots of 'so so' airlines and I would include BA and Qantas in this category. Now, if you could have Lauda food on Emirates flights with 'Singapore girl' hostesses! In truth there isn't a great deal of difference between the very good ones.

Extra baggage allowance for migrants you have to ensure this is arranged before you get to the airport and you have it in writing. I know Singapore have the extra allowance and no doubt others do.

I bet 'Poll' will come in on Emirates. :D

OzTennis :)