Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best time of year to make the move?

Wikiposts

Best time of year to make the move?

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Best time of year to make the move?

When do you think it would be best to make them move, our summer holidays (cooler so time to get used to the weather but half way through their school year),

or xmas (lots hotter but new school year begins).

Mandy
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are leaving In January and hope to get the kids into a school asap. As long as I have a car and house with air-con in them I willl cope! After all I can stay inside if it gets that hot.

I think it is a personal decision, but for us we wanted to spend our last Christmas here before we go.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:45 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best time of year to make the move?

Originally posted by scrawni
When do you think it would be best to make them move, our summer holidays (cooler so time to get used to the weather but half way through their school year),

Mandy
We gave this a lot of thought and decided to leave late October, early November, this will give the children a chance to see a bit of the local area, come look at the schools and houses and give them the opportunity for some input into our decisions. Also it gives them the chance to settle, get a bit of an accent and they will start school in January at the beginning of the new school year, this means that they won't be so conspicuous as if they were joining half way through termtime.

Slater
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:50 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Slater
We gave this a lot of thought and decided to leave late October, early November, this will give the children a chance to see a bit of the local area, come look at the schools and houses and give them the opportunity for some input into our decisions. Also it gives them the chance to settle, get a bit of an accent and they will start school in January at the beginning of the new school year, this means that they won't be so conspicuous as if they were joining half way through termtime.

Slater
We were hoping for a similar time frame, house sale should complete by second week in Oct but still no bloody visas Theres time yet but still flapping
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We were originally hoping to be out there before our daughter started secondary school, but first buyer pulled out. Then we were hoping 2nd or 3rd week in October, but now it could be late october or early November.

Whisky
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Carol & Barry is an unknown quantity at this point

Mandy
Hi Mandy We have 'split the difference'. Had booked the three flights for end december giving 13 year old 4 weeks before school term starts but have now changed slighty in view of work/accomodation. I (barry) am going start of october alone and wife and daughter to follow end december. Reckon arriving summer/xmas hols might not be so good re employment ?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I have always said on here not Dec Jan. That is Xmas Hols here, it is totally Crazy, like Cornwall in August, but the hottest time of our year. I cannot imagine the stress of trying to do all the organising in such heat and with so much closed down for holidays. Traffic is so bad here at that time of year we stay in Buderim, (totally avoid beach because of traffic) and shop once a fortnight just to avoid the horror gridlocks at the only reasonable sized shopping centre. Frankly I hate that time of year.

Schools in QLD, State open up about the 24th Jan for start on the following week. You can enrol your kids in that week. Private would be more difficult they have the most involved registrations, involving interviews, deposits, bonds, snotty crap etc. Plus many classes are planned and filled the previous year, so that could be a bit difficult if not arranged prior. Suppose you could always stick em in a state school then go through the rigmarole.

Houses, lots of people buy up Nov' ish to be settled down and in right area for next school year. Nobody seems to be dropping their price so I dont think it really matters except looking at houses is stressful enough without the heat to add to the fun.

I would arrive here in Winter, its quieter, weather is perfect, traffic is less. However if you must arrive in the Troppo months then organise as much as you can on the phone from home, internet to narrow down houses, expect big traffic jams so allow time. Once February comes, it goes dead, everyones broke after Xmas shops are empty, school and work is back in so eveything is well dead. However the heat is still there but with kids in school organisation may be easier.

One last point if going to a holiday area then your temporary accomodation will be quite expensive Peak season holiday rates for Dec Jan and high bookings so book early.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default moving

Many thanks for your post, you told me things which I hadn't thought about, like everthing shuts at xmas, accomodation more expensive.

It sound a good idea to leave Feb-Oct. I will not feel so emotional I guess, if we don't leave at xmas or new year. I don't want parents to keep going on about it all over the holiday period!

Mandy
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:04 am
owieb

Mandy
We came end of August (we don't have children), which was a great time. The weather is similar to a UK summer so you have plenty of time to aclimatise; arriving Dec/Jan/Feb time i think most people will find it too hot and having to get things organised wouldn't be much fun.

As other people have posted, it is very busy and expensive around that time of year.

Autumn is nice, but you're then coming into Winter which can be a bit wet at times (certainly in Perth), but if you've never experienced an Australian winter then you won't know any different!