Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The best time to trade forex...

The best time to trade forex...

Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Default The best time to trade forex...

So I was reading an article and it said that a typical trading day starts with New Zealand, before moving across to Australia, Japan and Asia, Europe and North America.

The UK and the US markets account for around half of the total world market, therefore the times at which both are open are particularly busy. The following are the overlapping timings.

- New York Market trade times: 1pm - 9pm GMT
- London Market trade times: 7am - 5pm GMT
- Great Britain Market trade times: 8am - 4pm GMT
- Tokyo Market trade times: 8pm - 4am GMT
- Australia Market trade times: 12am - 8am GMT

There are two times when two of the major markets overlap during trading hours,

- between 7am and 9am GMT for Asian/European markets and
- between 1pm to 5pm GMT for European/U.S. markets.

The market is open 24 hours a day but this doesn't mean that it is always active.

So, does anyone of you know if these overlapping times, in general gives a higher probability of getting a better rate? I'm just wondering here if there is in fact a good time of the day where its best to transfer currency.

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best time to trade forex...

Originally Posted by B1K3R
So, does anyone of you know if these overlapping times, in general gives a higher probability of getting a better rate? I'm just wondering here if there is in fact a good time of the day where its best to transfer currency.
The time of day you ask for a quote will make no difference to the rate you get.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the best time, just that my broker said he would transfer it at the best time of day.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
So I was reading an article and it said that a typical trading day starts with New Zealand, before moving across to Australia, Japan and Asia, Europe and North America.

The UK and the US markets account for around half of the total world market, therefore the times at which both are open are particularly busy. The following are the overlapping timings.

- New York Market trade times: 1pm - 9pm GMT
- London Market trade times: 7am - 5pm GMT
- Great Britain Market trade times: 8am - 4pm GMT
- Tokyo Market trade times: 8pm - 4am GMT
- Australia Market trade times: 12am - 8am GMT

There are two times when two of the major markets overlap during trading hours,

- between 7am and 9am GMT for Asian/European markets and
- between 1pm to 5pm GMT for European/U.S. markets.

The market is open 24 hours a day but this doesn't mean that it is always active.

Cheers
B!K3R
Unless you really know what you're doing, Forex trading is a truly great way to get ****ed fast. Better off in commodities as they are easier to study IMO.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Unless you really know what you're doing, Forex trading is a truly great way to get ****ed fast.
He is probably just trying to work out the best time to transfer their money to Australia rather than trading?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
He is probably just trying to work out the best time to transfer their money to Australia rather than trading?
OK didn't realise. Doh, etc.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

B1K3R is very thorough so it just appears like he wants to become a full on trader
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

B1K3R is very thorough so it just appears like he wants to become a full on trader
Oh sorry guys, guess I wasn't clear enough Yes, Fish.01 is right, I was talking about find the best time of the day to transfer money to and from OZ since I'll be doing that on regular basis.

Hehehe, that's true Fish.01, guess I'm exaggerating a bit now with the move to OZ

I stayed monitoring the rates today, and found out that in fact the best rates were in the overlapping windows of trading. I'll do some more analysis tomorrow.

In reality its no big deal for small amounts of money, but if you transfer loads, then it makes a difference.

On $2000 AUD, the difference from morning to evening was something like £20-30GBP. If one does this on a weekly basis, then I guess it makes a bit of a difference.....and that's using foreign exchange companies, cause if through a bank transfer, then the difference is bigger. Obviously I need to do more observations to confirm this...

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know a few of those guys. Some are doing better than others.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this helps but when I was studying the pound to A$ it appeared that quite often it would peak at around 3-4am Aussie time (whilst on daylight saving) and then fall back by the time the Aussie markets opened.

The last time we did a big transfer we put a (can't remember the name for it!) figure in so when it hit that overnight the deal was done.

Anyone who does currency trading needs to seek help.....it was driving me nuts following the pound for a few weeks.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I long ago nearly lost my mind to such madness and now indulge my speculation using limit orders.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I long ago nearly lost my mind to such madness and now indulge my speculation using limit orders.
Out of interest which company do you use?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Centurion
Limits orders - this brings back memories. Stops, shorting. Packed all that in a long time ago.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never use a stop limit though - too risky