Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best time to book flights???

Best time to book flights???

Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Default Best time to book flights???

Hi,

We "have" to go back to the UK next July as i stupidly promised my dad we would go back for his 60th Birthday. I know i cant book flights yet but i was just wondering is it best to book flights as far in advance as possible or is last minute better price wise? or does it really not make a difference and will cost an arm and a leg anyway?

Ive got a few quotes and think i will need to sell the car, the boat and possibly the baby too unless we fly air asia!!!

Any opinions???
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best time to book flights???

Who knows really?

Historically the advice has always been to book early....but there have been plenty of people who post here who have been burnt by doing that this year. It depends largely on the situation the airlines find themselves in next year as far as how many seats they are selling and how many aircraft they have flying the kangaroo route. Just today for example it was announced that Virgin is cutting 1 of its 2 daily London - Hong Kong flights.

As a guess I would say that last minute special offers will be harder to come by next year as capacity more closely matches demand and the economy starts to return to 'normal'.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all
Default Re: Best time to book flights???

I'm going back in 3 weeks time and only booked my flight around 2 weeks ago. I was planning on going back at some point in the next few months but a great price came up on Singapore airlines, with only 1 stop (for a few hours). I'd been doing a few quotes for anytime from now up until November and they were all pretty pricey and not great flights or airlines either.
The Singapore one came up for me and my 4 month old, return to UK, $1365
So I don't think you can try and guess it. I never thought I'd get one that cheap for a flight in next few weeks, but I suppose it depends on the airlines and the state of their $$ situation? I'd just be checking webjet or something every week or so and when you find a price you're happy with just buy it rather than trying to wait it out.
Good luck in finding a good price.