Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

best sydney suburbs for young couple?

best sydney suburbs for young couple?

Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best sydney suburbs for young couple?

hey sydneysiders,

any suggestions on what suburbs are good for:

beach location (or near a beach)
good amenties (bars, cafes, restaurants, etc.)
affordable accomodation
good transport links

i have been researching areas via a website called cityhobo, anyone know any others that have good reliable info? or personal recommendations?

Thanks, kat
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:09 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best sydney suburbs for young couple?

Originally Posted by kat83
beach location (or near a beach)
good amenties (bars, cafes, restaurants, etc.)
affordable accomodation
good transport links
These four things don't really go together - you're going to have to drop 1, if not 2 of those 'wants'.

My vote is for balmain, but it's not a beach location or overly affordable. Awesome bars/cafes/restaurants and good transport links though!

Graham
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:05 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
These four things don't really go together - you're going to have to drop 1, if not 2 of those 'wants'.

My vote is for balmain, but it's not a beach location or overly affordable. Awesome bars/cafes/restaurants and good transport links though!

Graham

I concur with Northener - there isn't really a suburb close to the city where you will find all those things. The Eastern Suburbs - Bondi, Coogee, Randwick - all fulfill wants 1 and 2, but definitely not 3 and 4.

The Inner Western Suburbs - Glebe, Camperdown, Newtown, Erskineville - will satisfy 2,3 and 4, but certainly not 1.

Balmain, Rozelle and Drummoyne will satisfy 2 and 4, and are waterfront, just not beach.

Across the bridge, you have the Northern Suburbs - again will satisfy 1 and 2.

There is also The Shire, but it's a fair trek from the city. Having been here for three years now, I would suggest that as a young couple with no kids, you don't want to get too far crom the city - suburban Sydney living can be awfully bland, and you don't have to go too far from the city to notice how there are no shops and pubs etc.

If you do happen across anything that meets all of your requirements, then please let me know.

S
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

affordable accommodation is the main issue if you want to be by the beach,
but saying that you can get a one bed unit on the northern beaches for $300 a week..ok for a couple, transport to the city from up there is a nightmare(no trains) but its got the best beaches and tons of restaurants
and usually ok for work so you may only need to get the ferry to the city for special occasions

before we had kids we rented a granny flat one street back from the beach at newport for $200 a week...found work easy enough and ate out most nights
this was about 5 years ago, but still got friends there and doesn't sound any different now
Manly is a good place to start but i recommend Dee why, Mona vale, Newport, Narrabeen/Collaroy and Avalon