Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Suburbs in Sydney-again sorry!

Best Suburbs in Sydney-again sorry!

Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Suburbs in Sydney-again sorry!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No, but what they earn isn't my business. It was just a rough guide for the OP's information - if they earn less than the hypothetical amount, they'll pay more than half the net in rent. If they earn more, the percentage would be lower.

It's the type of information I'd be interested in if I was emigrating to a new country and I think it's pertinent to the topic.
Is that information or is it just a sum? I guess I assumed if OP knows enough to know that they have a budget of $900, I would presume they do not need help with dividing one number by another to calculate a %. Perhaps I just expect too much of people
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Is that information or is it just a sum? I guess I assumed if OP knows enough to know that they have a budget of $900, I would presume they do not need help with dividing one number by another to calculate a %. Perhaps I just expect too much of people

Sorry, can't be arsed dissecting my post but if it bothers you that much you could perhaps take me to the BE Tribunal for a ruling on whether I provided 'information or just a sum'.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Anywhere from the northern beaches is a bitch. Great for a weekend away though.
Meh, it's not too bad if you can use the T3 lanes (legally!).
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Meh, it's not too bad if you can use the T3 lanes (legally!).
Accepting an hour bus ride or more is unacceptable in my book.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Accepting an hour bus ride or more is unacceptable in my book.
I'd agree with that. I live in the southern end of the NBs so any bus ride to city is shorter than an hour.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Balmain and as long as you don't have to be near a beach I'd recommend it. It has a really local feel with lots of parks, cafe/restaurants and pubs.

If you don't want to live on the penninsular then I'd suggest drummoyne or further up the Victoria Road or Leichhardt area for shorter commuters but be warned these days the Vic Road is rush hour 7 days a week.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

If you really want to live somewhere quiet and leafy with your rent money I would suggest Greenwich or Woolwich, just a short ferry ride from Balmain. There's no beach but they are right on the water.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
If you really want to live somewhere quiet and leafy with your rent money I would suggest Greenwich or Woolwich, just a short ferry ride from Balmain. There's no beach but they are right on the water.
Greenwich is a good pick - and it does have the rather nice Greenwich Baths for when you need a quick swim.

http://greenwichbaths.com.au
Old Jan 15th 2015, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone any thoughts, or personal experiences on the areas of Glenhaven, Cherrybrook and Dural please? Thank you.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Has anyone any thoughts, or personal experiences on the areas of Glenhaven, Cherrybrook and Dural please? Thank you.
In comparison to your original area of question - the shire?

Bit like the shire really with a different type of bogan and no beach.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

In comparison to your original area of question - the shire?

Bit like the shire really with a different type of bogan and no beach.

Yeah, we have short listed a few areas going off our financial state at this moment in time...

I don't want to end up in a really expensive suburb that by all means ticks all the boxes but then later on we find ourselves not being able to do much else because all the money is going towards rent.

I'm looking at $650 at the most per week, the suburbs I mentioned above are doable, as is the shire for that.

Any other suggestions? Thanks btw.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 12:16 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Cherrybrook is lovely. And getting a new train station as part of the northwest rail link. Dural is the arse end of nowhere IMHO. Semi-rural. Bit of a drive to anywhere. Lots of fruit farms. No experience of Glen haven, so can't comment. We're in thornleigh, so shout if you have specific questions about the bad lands.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I live in Glenhaven and it is lovely. The public school is excellent and the suburb is very safe and friendly and overwhelming family based. The commute to The CBD isn't great though, either a long and costly car journey or an hour plus on the bus (one bus from the edge of Glenhaven).
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:38 am
Just Joined

kimchi_bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Try looking on www.realestate.com.au. Are you looking to buy or rent? I'd say work out your budget first and search based on the rent/price range you're prepared to pay. There's a handy "map" view which will show you where the properties are on the search result. Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

For Molly (I forgot to quote) - Cherrybrook is ok. I don't like the Pennant Hills Road though, which has to be one of the worst in Sydney.You can get to the city by bus but it isn't on the train line. You also have nearby shopping centres like Castle Hill, though I went there once and vowed never again to try to navigate and park there!! Thornleigh is on the train line so may be better for commuting. Dural is way too far out.

Have a look at Berowra/Asquith and Mt Colah. They are on the train line too, and close to Hornsby.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jan 22nd 2015 at 8:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.