Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best suburbs to live around Melbourne and near a good beach.

Best suburbs to live around Melbourne and near a good beach.

Old Mar 20th 2005, 8:29 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Best suburbs to live around Melbourne and near a good beach.

There are no good beaches in Melbourne. To find good beaches drive 1 hour west of Melbourne past Geelong, where there is nice coastal towns and beaches such as Queenscliff , Angleasea, Lorne, Appolo Bay, bells beach etc.
and up along the great ocean road.

Old Mar 20th 2005, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jskogsta
Well, not exactly CBD, but on St. Kilda Road. I'm transferring internally and have accepted the offer from my new boss in Singapore (!). We have been looking for a few places in Mt. Eliza .. looks just too good to be true. I don't mind commuting, but would love to spend some time with the kids as well .. besides during the weekends.

Any idea how it would be to live in those areas and work in St. Kilda? Worth it .. or .. just "bust"?!

Thanks btw!

/Jørgen
Hi

We live in Mount Eliza, It is lovely, very green and lovely quiet beaches, plenty of cafes and shops and good schools, it really is too good to be true!!

Houses can be pricey, however depending on your budget there is plenty of choice, I also love Mornington, you really cannot go wrong around this area.

Caz

M
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:24 am
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't tell anyone but whenever I drive into the city or St.Kilda I always use the beach road, which is never as bad as the Nepean Highway
Beach road may only be 60kms per hour compared to the Nepean's 80 , but the reality is that the number of traffic lights and voulme of traffic means that Nep' hwy is slower than beach road ....and the view on Beach road.

Many people are looking for that perfect balance between city and beach and I believe areas like Highett, Cheltenham Mentone , Beaumaris, and even St.Kilda and Elwood are just fine and dandy .
I have friends with children in St.Kilda and they wouldn't move for the world.
In fact I think I'm moving there next month.
Quiter suburbs near st.kilda include Cauldfield , North Cauldfield, Balaclava ,Armaldale, Windsor and east St.Kilda .
Albert Park and the beautiful South Melbourne are also great places if you can afford to live there.

PS Southland is not the biggest shopping centre , Chadstone is !

Steve

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
We are in the same dilemma as you. Husband would probably be commuting to St Kilda Rd again so we are looking for a suburb that is far enough out so as not to feel 'hemmed in' by the urban sprawl, whilst being an acceptable commuting distance. We lived in Kew before - lovely suburb but I'd like to live further out next time (nearer the Bay or countryside). Even from Kew, getting to St Kilda Rd could be a 45 min drive in rush hour. Friends have said the Nepean Highway can be quite slow coming into St Kilda Rd during rush hour. Would be interesting to hear from anyone here who does that trip in rush hour.

Good luck (we too like Mt Eliza)
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Well that would definetly come in as Brighton, Elwood, or Sandringham, But I would assume that the poster wouldn't be in the 10 pct of the population that can afford to live there.

Otherwise he/she would have probably known already known (birds of a feather an all that)
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbournehelp
PS Southland is not the biggest shopping centre , Chadstone is !

Steve

Well I think you will find their days are numbered, the new one planned out at Hoppers crossing, will be the biggest in Australia once it gets started.

I'd also be suprised if Southland is as big as Highpoint, But I could be wrong on that.

Chadstone is currently the biggest in Vic though.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
Bordy

Can you suggest any other suburbs other than Mordialloc. We are looking for somewhere with a good cafe culture and good amenities. We are also looking to settle close to a decent beach and probably have a budget of around 500K. We have been looking at Mentone, Parkdale & Aspendale but not sure what amenities these places have.

Your info is very much appreciated

We are currently renting in Mentone and its a lovely area, with good schools for kids and convenient for shopping, beaches, cafes etc. We too have a budget of 500K and want a 4 bedroom house with reasonable garden. There is nothing in Mentone or Parkdale (beachside of the Nepean Highway) in our price range (not even a vacant block). Aspendale is slightly cheaper than Mentone and Parkdale and the more inland you move, especially the inland side of the Nepean Highway, the prices drop somewhat. We are now looking to buy somewhere inland from Mentone or further south, but its difficult as the kids are settled in schools here and dont want to move away.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On this side of town, but not near a beach, I would make a big call, and say Fitzroy is now the leading suburb, as long as you are between, St georges Rd and Nicholson St's that is. You need from 700,000 to 2 mill plus to live there though.

Later on this week, probably be a good idea, for people to put up URL's for the best houses in a given price range in or around their suburb.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
On this side of town, but not near a beach, I would make a big call, and say Fitzroy is now the leading suburb, as long as you are between, St georges Rd and Nicholson St's that is. You need from 700,000 to 2 mill plus to live there though.

Later on this week, probably be a good idea, for people to put up URL's for the best houses in a given price range in or around their suburb.
Thanks everyone, the information is very usefull.

Does anyone know what the minimum rental period is. We are looking to rent for 3 months initially to allow us to find the correct renatal property for the longer term.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:30 am
the place to be

daveg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We're renting in Mount Eliza, and I drive every day to St Kilda rd to work.
On average it takes 1 hour each way, although during the storms etc it can take up to 2 hours :scared: I've tried about 4 different routes, usually go straight up the Nepean Highway but Beach Rd does make a nice change and seems time neutral as mentioned before.

It's worth it to live here, trust me. The commute's not like the M25, once you're driving an auto and get used to it, its not so bad. And you're the right side of St K Rd; if you're driving right into the CBD or north it would add 20-30 mins on which really is too much.

Houses in Mt Eliza are older and more expensive; Mornington is cheaper and has newer housing. Pretty much run out of blocks in Mt Eliza but they're still building new estates in Mornington. Good pre-schools and schools in both areas.

You'll get a fab house on large block in Mornington for your 500K.

You'll be lucky to get shorter than a 6 mth rental from my experience, but 3 mths do come up from time to time. You might want to rent for a year while your house is being built - quote a few I know are doing that.

Keep an open mind and you'll be fine

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
Thanks everyone, the information is very usefull.

Does anyone know what the minimum rental period is. We are looking to rent for 3 months initially to allow us to find the correct renatal property for the longer term.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
There are no good beaches in Melbourne. To find good beaches drive 1 hour west of Melbourne past Geelong, where there is nice coastal towns and beaches such as Queenscliff , Angleasea, Lorne, Appolo Bay, bells beach etc.
and up along the great ocean road.
Furry crap wombat!! There are beautiful sandy beaches all around Melboune. Carrum has white sand and turquoise water. Admittedly the areas not to special, but the beach is lovely. As is Mornington, mt Eliza/ Martha etc etc. You don't need to go to the GOR to see lovely beaches
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveg
Hi
We're renting in Mount Eliza, and I drive every day to St Kilda rd to work.
On average it takes 1 hour each way, although during the storms etc it can take up to 2 hours :scared: I've tried about 4 different routes, usually go straight up the Nepean Highway but Beach Rd does make a nice change and seems time neutral as mentioned before.
That's really useful info for us re commute times to St Kilda Rd - thankyou. We've never had the misfortune to be M25 commuters - if anything, Mel commuter traffic was a shock!! I guess it's what you're used to. How many kms is your journey to St K Rd and what times of day do you leave? Ta
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
That's really useful info for us re commute times to St Kilda Rd - thankyou. We've never had the misfortune to be M25 commuters - if anything, Mel commuter traffic was a shock!! I guess it's what you're used to. How many kms is your journey to St K Rd and what times of day do you leave? Ta
I am looking at serviced apartments in the short term but they are quite expensive when you compare them with rentals.( lease period obviously )

Does anyone know of any good rental agents in Mordialloc, Aspendale, Mentone

Anyone got any views on Patterson Lakes????
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough

Can you by any chance tell me what Point Cook is like??
Are there cafes, restaurants and nearby beaches.. we've checked it on the net and you get sooo much more for your money there! It seems to good to be true....

Cheers
Susan
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hevs
Furry crap wombat!! There are beautiful sandy beaches all around Melboune. Carrum has white sand and turquoise water. Admittedly the areas not to special, but the beach is lovely. As is Mornington, mt Eliza/ Martha etc etc. You don't need to go to the GOR to see lovely beaches

Guess what hevs, It's a darn sight quicker for us over here, Including from your beloved windy hill, to get to ocean grove and the start of the Great ocean Road, than any of the places you've mentioned above

Just shows how big Melbourne is though, Why would we pay city link tolls, or suffer heavy traffic through the city, when we can get on a freeway and be in Torquay, or along anywhere at the start, of what should be one of the seven wonders of the world, in the Great Ocean Road, in less than 1-1/2 hours, It takes much longer than that to get to Mornington on a heavy day.

Remember this is from what is considered Central Melbourne too.

When you moving

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 21st 2005 at 9:16 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not, i like it here and i don't pay tolls to get to the beach, my nearest ones 20mins away.

My point was that in MELBOURNE the beaches arn't crap And you don't need to drive an hour and a half from the city to see one. I put the prospective from where i live is all. So wheres your nearest nice beach?? I know its not as far as the GOR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.