Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

best suburbs in bisbane????????????

best suburbs in bisbane????????????

Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

madsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nice
Post best suburbs in bisbane????????????

Hey all, i'm starting to drive myself crazy looking at all the different suberbs in brisbane and could really do with some help!! our visa's and everything should be completed by jan 09 and i'd like to live about 30-40min away from the city,i have two children one who will be 5 and one who is 1 so would like somewhere with good schools nursery and somewhere for me to be able to take them with no hassle and thats a nice family kind of place. I would also like to be somewhere near the gold coast. i'd like to be close to shops and generally be close to having things to do so that i don't go crazy at home with the kids while hubby is out to work. i know it might sound like i'm asking alot but you never know how good you can have it if you don't ask
If anyone out there can help me it will be much appreciated!!!!!!

thanks love sam and family xxx
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Bobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really nice
Default Re: best suburbs in bisbane????????????

Originally Posted by madsam
Hey all, i'm starting to drive myself crazy looking at all the different suberbs in brisbane and could really do with some help!! our visa's and everything should be completed by jan 09 and i'd like to live about 30-40min away from the city,i have two children one who will be 5 and one who is 1 so would like somewhere with good schools nursery and somewhere for me to be able to take them with no hassle and thats a nice family kind of place. I would also like to be somewhere near the gold coast. i'd like to be close to shops and generally be close to having things to do so that i don't go crazy at home with the kids while hubby is out to work. i know it might sound like i'm asking alot but you never know how good you can have it if you don't ask

Hello, we're off to Brissy July 3rd and im going through exactly the same thing - trying to decide which suburb has it all!! Ourbrisbane.com is great but even better is a book i have just bought, its part of the where to live series, its called 'where to live - Greater Brisbane' and i cant recommend it enough. It covers all the suburbs and gives you all the statistics. Its even got a list of all the school websites! It was about £19 and worth every penny!
Good Luck
Bobbie x
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Here's a secret link that has all your answers http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php

WW
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:47 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bobbie
Hello, we're off to Brissy July 3rd and im going through exactly the same thing - trying to decide which suburb has it all!! Ourbrisbane.com is great but even better is a book i have just bought, its part of the where to live series, its called 'where to live - Greater Brisbane' and i cant recommend it enough. It covers all the suburbs and gives you all the statistics. Its even got a list of all the school websites! It was about £19 and worth every penny!
Good Luck
Bobbie x
We went through the same thing and i have to say, it's damned hard to pick a spot from abroad. If you don't have a job then you can't really pick a place to live until you get that, and then where do you live until then? And if you don't like where you've picked, you've got a rental to break. That's if you manage to find somewhere you like in the time you've got..

We found that our preconceptions of Brisbane were totally shot away when we got there, and the only way we found somewhere to rent was to shell out, over the asking price! We imaged living in somewhere like Cleveland or Manly (which would suit(ish) your commute time) but ended up in Wooloowin, and working in St. Lucia!

It's hard also to come to terms with where to send your kids to childcare/school because of this uncertainty. And that's if you can get your head around the way they do it and what you're entitled to, and when (factoring in Centrelink)!

Hmm, that sounds pretty negative, but really, unless you've got a job and have a good idea of where your starting base will/could be then it's a tough time (and expensive). Not impossible, because we, and many others, have done it, but quite a stressful time initially.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Bobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Urno
We went through the same thing and i have to say, it's damned hard to pick a spot from abroad. If you don't have a job then you can't really pick a place to live until you get that, and then where do you live until then? And if you don't like where you've picked, you've got a rental to break. That's if you manage to find somewhere you like in the time you've got..

We found that our preconceptions of Brisbane were totally shot away when we got there, and the only way we found somewhere to rent was to shell out, over the asking price! We imaged living in somewhere like Cleveland or Manly (which would suit(ish) your commute time) but ended up in Wooloowin, and working in St. Lucia!

It's hard also to come to terms with where to send your kids to childcare/school because of this uncertainty. And that's if you can get your head around the way they do it and what you're entitled to, and when (factoring in Centrelink)!

Hmm, that sounds pretty negative, but really, unless you've got a job and have a good idea of where your starting base will/could be then it's a tough time (and expensive). Not impossible, because we, and many others, have done it, but quite a stressful time initially.
Whats wooloowin like? Ive recently been in touch with Wooloowin Primary School. It looks lovely.
Bobbie
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:07 am
Just Joined

madsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nicemadsam is just really nice

Whats wooloowin like? Ive recently been in touch with Wooloowin Primary School. It looks lovely.
Bobbie
thanks so much for the quick replies!! i shall be searching out that book andbuying one then if its that helpfull!! i will also be looking on the linkthat was posted too. i'm just finding it hard looking from the uk and really not knowing what the different areas are like!!
sam xx
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bobbie
Older suburb, quite pleasant, I work there at present. HOWEVER - the monstrosity of the tunnel and the northern busway is going to seriously impact on Wooloowin. Construction is only just starting and the prediction is that the area will be like a bomb site for a few years, after which it will becoime full of rat-runs as people try to avoid the tolls for using the tunnel.

http://www.notunnels.org/node/45

http://www.rag.org.au/tunnel/default.htm

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 17th 2008 at 11:25 am. Reason: adding links
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck
Bobbie x
Sorry to jump in , but who was the book by.

Thankyou
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Good Luck
Bobbie x
hey, can you give me the author of the book please,
thanks sam xx
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

hey, can you give me the author of the book please,
thanks sam xx
Authers are Chantal Dunber and Michele Parer. You can only get it direct from the publisher though i think. Just google 'where to live guides' and it should come up.
Bobbie
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:20 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Bobbie
Wooloowin was quite nice, but more expensive to rent/live in (well served by train stations, but also close enough to the city to drive in). We didn't ever get to the school stage whilst living there, but i think Eagle Junction primary, which is nearby is very highly recommended.

I believe you can live in Wooloowin, but still be in the catchment area, but you should check first.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:28 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Ormeau
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:05 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Bobbie

When we first arrived in Brisbane in October 2005 our (then) 10 year old boy started at Wooloowin State School. We took him out after one term. If you want details PM me. The school is on a very busy and noisy main road. The actual suburb is quite nice, older Queenslander homes on big plots. Also transport links are good with rail/bus.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
When we first arrived in Brisbane in October 2005 our (then) 10 year old boy started at Wooloowin State School. We took him out after one term. If you want details PM me. The school is on a very busy and noisy main road. The actual suburb is quite nice, older Queenslander homes on big plots. Also transport links are good with rail/bus.
....very busy, I agree, and thats before the tunnel building chaos starts.